What's cookin', good lookin'?

Let me just get a napkin to wipe up my drool quick. Did you bake them in a donut pan?

3 Likes

I did!

2 Likes

Brilliant! I have a donut pan but never use it, this gives me ideas.

2 Likes

This isn’t really what the topic is for, but I wanna boast on my hubby!

I’m teaching him to make some of his favorite foods that I don’t eat (carbs!), and he has mastered using the pressure cooker to make potato salad. He cooks the spuds and eggs at the same time, which is pretty cool, and has totally made the recipe his own, with extra vinegar and onions.

9 Likes

Niece brought over a duck and had her boyfriend butcher it, and I got the meat. So I fried the breasts up in a skillet. Then I tossed in one tablespoon of butter, about half a cup of onions and caramelized them. Then I added about 1/4 cup of the broth I made from the giblets, and about two tablespoons of white wine. Tossed in a couple sprigs of thyme, and cooked the liquid down til it had thickened. Oooh, that was far tastier than it had any right to be.

Afterwards, I added a tablespoon of butter back to the pan, and fried up the zucchini. Thanks to our abnormally wet year, the little bit of garden I have growing is doing beautifully. (Seriously, in 44 of my 48 years that I can even vaguely remember, I’ve never seen it this wet around here. Even my wife’s employer stated he hasn’t in his 70 years, too…It is seriously abnormally wet, :open_mouth:).

6 Likes

I tell you, I come close to breaking down from my pains, and I get terribly sad over other things, but the one thing that hurts the most is watching my mind fade. the big things and little things just pile up and smack me upside the head like a wet fish. I need to remember to tack a piece of paper to the wall so I can see it to know the proper cooking times. I never thought I’d forget how to cook, but there have been a looooot of issues over the past few months…Ppppppp!

6 Likes

We haven’t really been cooking over the last few months, due to lack of a functioning kitchen. We’ve made do by eating instant noodles and salads, heating up cans in a pot of boiling water from the kettle, buying microwave meals and heating them at work, plus take-out once or twice a week.

But now our whole kitchen is in working order again, we’ve picked up our kitchen things from the storage unit, and we’re learning how to work with induction. We’re expecting a visitor tomorrow so I want to try to bake again, I want to try if my Wonderpan still works. It should, according to the manual, but I’ve read it doesn’t always work on induction. A wonderpan is an oldfashioned mini-oven that can be used on the stovetop, and it bakes the best pound cakes. I want to try bananabread.

Monday night I’m going to bake double and triple chocolate cupcakes to bring into work. They were apparantly such a hit with my coworkers, they remember them a year later. It’s a pretty easy recipe from UK Good Housekeeping magazine.

5 Likes

Stuffed peppers about to go into the oven (one meat - chicken, and one veg).

7 Likes

Ooh, those look saucey & delicious!

Sure hope @Edel likes bread!

9 Likes

@Edel 's arrived & I put her straight to work!

10 Likes

Am I the only one imagining a version of the Midnight Margaritas scene from Practical Magic?

Enjoy the fun!

3 Likes

I dream of that scene. LOL

3 Likes

You mean “Monday night”?

@AntBee

2 Likes

I made delicious chicken for dinner tonight! It was finished quickly, no leftovers (we had guests! didn’t polish this off on our own!) and very easy to make.

Ingredients:
4 chicken legs (the whole leg, thigh and drumstick in one piece)
150 gr. cherry tomatoes
150 gr. dried apricots
2 red onions
butter
ras el hanout spice mix (Moroccan)
Cast iron Dutch oven, or large stock pot, or tajine
Parsley to serve

Rub chicken legs with spice mix
Fry in butter until the skin is brown (I did two at a time because of the size of my Dutch oven)
When the last bits of chicken are browning, throw 2 onions (peeled and quartered) in the pot, fry for a few minutes
Put all chicken back into the pot, add 150 grams of dried apricots (whole) 150 grams of cherry tomatoes (whole) and 100 ml of water
Put lid on
Leave for 45 minutes
Serve over rice or couscous, the juices will be lovely as a sauce

Can also be done with a whole chicken in a soup pan, but I felt cutting it up would be a bit too much effort, so I just served every person a single whole leg. For reference, I’m not sure how big American chickens are, but a whole chicken would be around 1200 grams here, and whole legs are around 300 grams (bone included).

We eat a low-salt diet and our (store bought) spice mix didn’t contain salt. One of our guests added salt on their own plate. If you like salt on your food, make sure your spice mix contains salt or add salt to the mix. I’m sure you could use chicken stock instead of water but I haven’t tried.

Don’t discard the bones, you can use them for soup!

6 Likes

I’m doing another round of a low FODMAP elimination diet and came across these chicken tacos. They were really good. the combination of carrots, cabbage, and radishes made me feel like I was eating at my favorite local taqueria.

I also had refried beans. I had not planned ahead enough to make my own and bought Taco Bell canned refried beans, which is the only brand I can find that didn’t list onion or garlic (huge trigger food for my issues).

5 Likes

In an effort to attempt to keep up with the endless new veggies coming from our CSA, I’ve started doing some batch prepping and cooking. I’ve been roasting up lots of veggies and cooking quinoa, potatoes, tofu, chickpeas, etc and putting in containers in the fridge. Then during the week we just grab a few containers and make a bowl out of whatever we have for lunch. I’ve also been pre-chopping some of the veggies and cutting corn off the cob when I’m doing all of my roasting to make it quicker/easier to make meals during the week. So far it’s going pretty well and we’re trying lots of new stuff!

9 Likes

Evening meal that reminds me of @Edel!
The fridge is fixed (it broke while she was here), so we can have salad again, yay! This one has beet quickles on it that she helped to make & parsley sauce I made during her visit. Also left over pizza dough from one of our dinners together

There’s celery in the salad, she calls that the devil’s vegetable but I love it.

6 Likes

Hahaha! I agree with this. :100:

2 Likes

I’m so glad you got the fridge fixed! Even if you guys want your heads examining for putting the devil’s vegetable in a salad. Looks super healthy and colourful

2 Likes

oh man, I haven’t had stuffed peppers in so long. Drool!

Lentils still does well for my dumb tummy, so I still make different things out of that.Tonight’s I’m using some potato & zucchini I cubed and froze, as well as some of the gnocchi I made some time ago (for how much of a pain they were to make, I have to admit, having so many and using so few at a time has been really nice, :thinking: ).

while at the store I accidentally grabbed a bag of frozen sweet potatoes instead of carrots, so tossed a few of those in just to use them in something. Lastly, I picked a small eggplant as I think it fruiting so young was stunting its growth. so I decided to use that, too.

and lastly, a small dollop of butter to cream it up a little, fresh thyme, and a small bit of beef bouillon.

Yep! that’s my meal for tonight. :no_mouth: . I know the sweet potato is going to throw off the flavor, but I don’t care, heh. I can’t think of anything to do with it cubed and frozen, HAH!

Update:

Ok! Ok! Took a bite of the sweet potato with the eggplant. Those work nicely together…Ok! Ok! I have an idea what to do with fried sweet potato now…well…maybe. I still have to get the eggplants growing a lot larger than they are first, heh.

7 Likes