What's cookin', good lookin'?

Sweet Potato is good in curry, too. The sweet and spicy combo is so good!

3 Likes

Rob got a wild hair to make Beef Bourguignon. Here it is over mashed potatoes, it was deeeelicious! That gravy :yum:

This fam is supplement-resistant low iron so red meat is a must but local organic is pricey so we’re figuring out the pressure cooker for inexpensive cuts. We subbed shallots for pearl onions because we had them. So nom.

4 Likes

There are so many delicious recipes for inexpensive cuts! Honestly, give me a stew over a steak any day.

We are going to eat a vegetarian couscous tonight, a simple and fast dinner, perfect for a workday after a busy weekend. I bought BBC Good food magazine as a treat for myself on the train, and I’ve seen a few really nice, simple recipes in it using things we already have in the fridge. Tonight I’m going to plan ahead for the next couple of days. I had planned to go grocery shopping this weekend, but we were busier than I had expected, I hope I can stretch the grocery shopping until next weekend or at least until Thursday or so.

We are no longer in the situation where we have to make do with what we’ve got in the fridge/freezer/pantry for X days until payday, but I still feel that holding off on grocery shopping increases creativity. Plus, with how much everything costs nowadays, I wouldn’t mind spending a bit less.

3 Likes

Everyone thinks this is weird, but I like it. I had some extra shredded zucchini left over so I fried it a bit then added some garlic, and continued frying it, added about two Tbls. chicken broth, 1 Tbls. tomato paste, then thyme, basil, oregano, fennel, nutmeg, and green onion. For this one at least, it’d make a great pasta sauce, or even a pizza sauce.

Also, I bet this would be just as good without the broth. So would be awesome for vegans, vegetarians, too.

6 Likes

That looks so tasty! I say yes to pasta sauce, flat bread, over grains or eggs mixed in to flavour beans. Yum!

Well, we managed until yesterday (Wednesday) but today after breakfast we definitely need groceries.

I prepared overnight oats with the last bit of oat milk for breakfast. Last night we had chili con carne, using up the last meat we had in the freezer. We eat a limited amount of meat, usually once or twice a week. Tonight we’ll have fresh veggies again so we’ll be eating a salad.

3 Likes

Tried a veg version of arroz con (no) pollo tonight. It’s a mix of several recipes…just kind of winged it. Came out surprisingly good as winging it is not my typical cooking style.

10 Likes

Arroz sin pollo, then? Looks yummy!

1 Like

My summer CSA bounty runneth over… I just roasted tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeños, red onions, and garlic for a Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde. (The kitchen smells amazing!). Then did a batch of quick Pickled Red Onions. While the oven was on, I also roasted 3 eggplants for Baba Ganoush, which is now draining.

I’m out of Ball jars (that have matching lids), but I have to do a Target pickup order. If they have any pint or quart jars, I might make quickles with the rest of the cucumbers @lynx and Geekybookeorm brought us from their garden…

8 Likes

Just a lil’ “shark coochie” for coworker & self. Quickles make everything nom!

5 Likes

Look how bright pink my Pickled Red Onions are already! I’ve missed having these in the fridge to add to just about everything.

The finished Baba Ganoush, dusted with smoked paprika. I’ll add some fresh chopped parsley at dinner time, when I’ll serve it with naan and sliced veggies.

The finished Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde. It made so much! (Well, I doubled the recipe because I had so many poblanos.) The smaller container is a 1-cup, and the bigger holds 5 or so cups. Jim is going to be eating a lot of salsa this week!

7 Likes

Everything looks so yummy!!

After a few chaotic months, we’re really putting in an effort to eat healthily again. For lunch today we had a salad - lettuce, spring onion, diced avocado, plus roasted sweetcorn (from a can, heated in a dry cast iron skillet for a few minutes until browned) plus some leftover shrimp (cooked for a few minutes and added cajun spice mix). We served it with a salad dressing made from olive oil, lime juice and a little bit of honey. We happened to have a little bit of shrimp in the freezer but that could also be replaced with something vegetarian or vegan. I think it would be lovely with beans or even croutons.

For dinner we had super simple stir fry, made from a bag of pre-cut vegetables and a head of broccoli. We started out by frying some garlic, then added all the veggies, after stir frying those for about 5 minutes, we added noodles we had already cooked, sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) and soy sauce and some unsalted cashew nuts. Sweet soy sauce is extremely popular in the Indonesian cuisine, and as Indonesia was previously colonized by the Netherlands, it can also be found in every Dutch cupboard.

5 Likes

Beet soup!

Everybody likes different things so one has cabbage & one has a tomatoey base. Mashed potatoes just because, & Rob made some weird banana oat cookie-like things. I’m not eating that, banana-eww :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Yesterday’s quickles. Despite the jars, they are not really canned. They need to live in the fridge and be eaten over the next couple months.

Thank you @Lynx!

8 Likes

How do you do this? We have soooo many cucumbers still!

1 Like

Quickle safely!

1 Like

No @Magpie, these are not canned pickles. Because they are quick pickles (also known as refrigerator pickles), that are intended to be eaten (nearly) right away, you don’t need to do quite as much perfect prep work, and do not need to be processed in a canning bath. They MUST however, live in the fridge, and be used in about 1 month. I used this method:

@Lynx, do you do any canning? Or have access to canning tools? You can totally make real, shelf-stable, pickles from numerous recipes in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Pickles are pretty much the easiest project to start canning with. (Besides maybe jelly made from prepackaged juice.)

5 Likes

No, I haven’t learned how to do canning yet.

2 Likes

Ours get eaten pretty quickly so I’m not that careful, I use half & half vinegar (white, ACV, wine) & water & just throw in salt, sugar & spices to taste. I don’t wanna give any advice that poisons people tho. Following a recipe is a good idea!

1 Like

We are currently attempting a cucumber bread recipe. Peeling, seeding, and shredding has used a lot of our cucumbers. I’ll report back how it worked for us.

2 Likes