When You Just Need to Make a Turkey Vulture atc

I don’t normally share a single atc, but this one cracks me up and I just have to share.

Here’s the story:

My kids are having remote school due to weather, so they are working from home. They have essays and stories to write and somehow in their brainstorming, my daughter brings up exotic animals and scavangers–two things that aren’t necessarily put together (although some people may). I started joking about the exotic turkey vulture (don’t ask me, just really funny today) and I knew I had to try to paint one in watercolor.

I present to you, Mr. T. Exotic Vulture of Bird of Prey School of Raptors!

24 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

It was really funny!!! An exotic scavenger!!! This is really well done!!!

2 Likes

They are really ugly looking, but somehow, you have made him look regal and dignified!

3 Likes

That’s so funny you said that, because I’ve referred to him as regal, too, and they are so ugly!

2 Likes

This is really cool. Love the composition and you’re doing so well with watercolors.

2 Likes

Nice! I love the style of this.

1 Like

He looks great!

1 Like

That is so great! Love love love the watercolour, the story, & how utterly regal he looks.

1 Like

@bluebird Thanks! Quite a change from songbirds, huh?

@GeekyBookworm I am still laughing about it!

@gozer Thank you so much! I am using @jemimah’s suggestion of having two water bowls which really helps and I got some better paper that she suggested and it seems to really help, too. I also read a few tutorials and tips.

@kittykill Thanks! He’s not my usual go-to style, but I just love him!

@Bunny1kenobi Thanks!

@magpie Thank you! I’m still laughing at this! It’s just so funny to me to think of an Exotic Scavenger!

I used this image I found online as my inspiration and decided to make it look like a school picture:

I guess this was painted by JessicaWadeArt on Etsy.

3 Likes

Oh well done, he looks great! I love how you’re getting the the watercolours to do their thing on the paper and create all that wonderful variation and texture in the colours.

3 Likes

Fully agreed, turkey vultures are awesome and yours looks great! Handsome fellow!

1 Like

I have those moments :laughing:. Sometimes you have to follow the muse just for your own amusement.

Well done, because I thought it looked like a yearbook photo. Who wouldn’t love to find out their teacher’s middle name is Exotic?

3 Likes

Fantastic. I feel like his gaze is judging me a little bit. :laughing:

Your background is so cool.

2 Likes

You made my day. Who doesn’t need a turkey vulture in their life?

1 Like

How fun!

1 Like

Wahoo! Your wonderful project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Thanks for sharing it here with us!

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for giving the turkey vulture love!

2 Likes

He does look like a dapper gentleman, not a scavenging rascal

2 Likes

he totally needs a bow tie. or an ascot.

good job! i love that you are giving watercolors a go! isn’t it fun?!

1 Like