CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2021

If you ever do make it to MA, I’d love to meet up! Haverhill is only about 90 minutes from me (and I can drive past my old apartment). And, oh boy… I just clicked on that Etsy link and quickly closed it! Too many tempting items!

And, I also check things on my phone and hit the :heart: icon. I mean to go back and comment, but I usually forget! I’m really trying to be better about it.

For example…

I love how the cardinal and blue jay each make such a bright burst of color against the snowy white backdrop. The shots are nicely framed to capture that!

1 Like

I hate typing on my phone, so I either :heart: or minimal reply like now. There are so many things I want in that shop!

1 Like

I have more projects done, but I am waiting for swaps. Ughhhh. That drives me bonkers. Ha!

Prompt: February - Solar
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Cat heart Valentines
Project Link: Cat Hearts Valentine Cards
Brief Description: The cats in these Valentines are round, fat cats.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

They are so cute!

1 Like

Chubby kitties!!! :heart: They are adorable!

1 Like

Prompt: Free Range # 2
Team: Running With Scissors
Project Name: When You Just Need to Make a Turkey Vulture atc
Brief Description: Sometimes, you just have to watercolor a turkey vulture.
Project Photo:

I present to you Mr. T. Exotic Vulture, Bird of Prey School of Rapture

5 Likes

Prompt: Reduce (February Battle)
Team: Bits & Bobs
Project Name: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I reduced the butter in my usual cookie recipe and replaced it with peanut butter. Not bad; next time I might use only pb.
Project Photo(s):
20210219_194610

6 Likes

Prompt: Free Range # 3
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn - Dolly's Fancy Crochet Hat
Brief Description: Dolly needed a new hat, and asked for me to crochet her one!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I haven’t disappeared, I’ve just been busy moving, unpacking, dealing with everything that can and has gone wrong (our dishwasher flooded the kitchen, had to have six other maintenance requests put in for other things like the shower, the dryer vent)… You know, those normal moving things. Then it took a week to get our internet to actually work… Murphy’s Law has been testing my patience :crazy_face:. I have a few projects to post soon. In the meantime, I’ve caught up on tracking, and now I will catch up on commenting :slightly_smiling_face:

@Lynx I love all of the projects you’ve been working on that work towards reducing your stash. I need to do that myself now that I’ve moved into my own place and I have my stuff out of storage. Your pumpkin bear made me smile. I made a carrot bunny for Easter one year. I have the zipper pouch saved as a raffle entry. Thank you so much. It’s fantastic! That turkey vulture is a fun card. I doubt they get much love, so it’s nice to see them appreciated.

@gozer Your dinosaur magnets are adorable! I love dinosaurs, but I certainly haven’t given them enough love in recent years. Maybe I’ll work on a dinosaur projects after I finish up my current WIPs! Your fat cat valentine’s are soooooo cute!

@ezrib I have scrolled by your chip with pesto several times in the last hour while catching up on tracking, and every time it makes me drool! It looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Your scratch cards are so cute and a wonderful idea! I love them a lotto. I’m glad you’ve found fun and creative ways to make your new kitchen work for you until you can remodel. That hammock is a neat idea.

@megwell I always overstuff wraps and burritos. It makes for messy, but yummy eating, so I just cave and use a dishtowel as a bib from time to time to keep my shirts safe from stains (to be fair, I should use a bib all the time eating anything at all, because my hand-eye coordination is severely lacking :grin:). We had fajitas last night, and they were sooooo good, but also definitely overstuffed. Your PB oatmeal chocolate chip cookies look so yummy! If you do try it with just peanut butter and it works out, please share the recipe. This sounds like the perfect combination of my three favorite cookies! mmmmmmmm :drooling_face:

@roler I love all of the ATCs you’ve been sharing. The bufflehead is amazing. I love that you got the iridescent quality in the face and neck.

@geekgirl The art journal you posted as a research project is amazing! I love the colors and design on the cover. The skinny journal is also amazing, and you used my favorite color for the cover. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Bunny1kenobi Those blankets are all so sweet, and you made so many! I hope they are able to give some comfort to the families in their grief.

@craftADDchick Your valentine cards are so sweet. I especially love the message inside. :hearts:

5 Likes

Prompt: February - Solar
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Bernie Sanders doll
Project Link:
Brief Description: Two different friends asked me to make a Bernie doll. It took me a bit to figure out the glasses, and I’m not 100% happy with them, but at least he has glasses now. His head is round, like the sun.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Geothermal
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Bernie again
Project Link:
Brief Description: He is inside his coat, acrylic yarn is made using heat… take your pick on why it fits the prompt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):
See above

7 Likes

He’s great, and the glasses look wonderful.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have a severe vitamin D deficiency that has been hurting all of my joints, plus my elbows have been super swollen, decreasing my range of motion and causing more pain. Between that, the arthritis in my left fingers, and the overall frustration of working with wire, I was in tears. I finally handed off to my husband, but his glasses looked even worse than mine :joy:

Tonight I decided to search through cupboards and closets to find something that would work to help me bend the wire. I finally found a plastic clothes hanger (the kind they use at the store) and decided to try it. It worked perfectly for size.

2 Likes

I used glue and metallic embroidery thread around the wires…I got frustrated with the gloves, so I made plain hands and did the mittens separately…you are a true champ…I made him for my niece and won’t be making another ever! lol

2 Likes

he’s awesome! great job!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time # 2
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn -- Square Crochet Basket
Brief Description: Used up the rest of my bulky yarn to make this neat-o square crochet basket.
Project Photo:
20210225_155306_resize_30

8 Likes

Prompt: Big Time

Team: Bits and Bobs

Project Name: Granny Rectangle Afghan

Project Link: Granny Rectangle Afhgan

Brief Description: I started this over on the old site, years ago. And then, it got put aside until I finally picked it up again as something I could do while I was having virtual meetings. I don’t crochet very quickly, so I spent at least 10 hours this season on it- weaving in the tails alone took me an hour and a half! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: February - Reuse
Team: Palettable Art
Project Name: Dino Drawstring
Project Link: Not yet.
Brief Description: I made this from a pillowcase. Reused it! It’s for a swap, but I am not sending it until March so I had to blur it. Is it blurred?
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Big Time # 3
Project Name: Operation Use Up Yarn - Short Vertical Filet Scarf
Brief Description: This handsome vertical filet pattern helped me use up 3 balls of sock weight yarn that used to belong to my grandma!
Project Photo:

6 Likes

@gozer it’s blurred and it’s ADORABLE!

3 Likes

I am not in that swap so I definitely peeked! It is really nice and will be a fun surprise if your partner doesn’t get too curious! lol…

2 Likes