Where can I find this fabric to use for a dress alteration?

@SewingBradly
I’m pretty sure it’s glitter waistband elastic. It comes in various colors and widths.

6 Likes

That looks exactly right!

@ceep for the win!

2 Likes

YES!!! I believe you nailed it, @ceep!
:sewing_needle: :brain:

2 Likes

Are gifs okay? Because

ezgif-2-daf92b3f76

Well (hopefully I’m not speaking to soon) now to refine my search for that, fingers crossed I can get the right colours! I didn’t see them on Minerva or Tia Knight but will keep looking, Etsy has some stuff but it all seems too thin, I figure I might need about an inch wide for each colour?

Re Magpie’s caution about sewing, I’ll be taking it to my local sewing shop who hopefully will do it far better than I could haha. Want to make sure it’s done right! And thank you, this place certainly has been far more friendly and helpful than Reddit where I last tried.

Edit: Oh I just found the exact listing for the image you found :sweat_smile: 1.5inches though, not sure if that’s too wide, hmm

3 Likes

To my eye it looks like those bands in the original pic are over an inch. Maybe even 2"… judging this by looking where her wrist is in front of one.
@Magpie , @ceep, @aimr @Loop-da-Loop thoughts?

2 Likes

Agreed, at least 1.5" each. But only if a perfect copy is the aim, maybe it’s enough to just be similar?

3 Likes

Oh it’s got to be at least 1.5 inches, maybe two. Try out some strips of paper or something on your body and see what looks about right.

The elastic does come in wider widths, but green is elusive.

Here’s some 50mm / 2", but no green.

4 Likes

Take a look at thr proportions of the waist. I think the total width of the 2 bands together looks closer to 3" than 4. It depends on the size of the dress however, the actress is quite small.

3 Likes

Yes, good point, and considering that the shop on Etsy, WeavingShopCo, has both colors in stock, AND ships to UK? I call that a win.

This one.

4 Likes

I just love this group!!! Discovering new products or things I never knew even existed has been a fabulous experience…I am now quite intrigued with this gorgeous elastic…I see some clothing upgrades using this! Thanks for the info, all…the reason we sew is to make unique to us stuff!!!

1 Like

@AIMR It’s a super fast way to make a skirt. I had some that I got from the clearance rack and it needed to be paired with this holiday fabric.

Christmas knit skirt

2 Likes

Thank you! I have very plain black outfits that I rarely wear because they need some jujing!

1 Like

Thank you all so much again, I’ve ordered those strips from WeavingShopCo! I got 5yards of each to be on the safe side, or at least I hope that’s the safe side haha.

I’ve been panicking about if the dress is going to turn out okay, if the shop’s going to be able to sew the strips on well, all that stuff - but the positive vibes here are brilliant compared to so many other places on the internet I’ve been, it’s really put me at ease. Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

The strips won’t arrive here for another couple of weeks and then it’ll be another week or so for the shop to sew them on, but this time next month I should have photos for you if all goes well :grimacing:

5 Likes

Definitely share photos! I feel good about your chances of getting it to work like you see in your head. Good luck!

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the end results!

1 Like

Here’s the final dress! :grin:

She loves it so much, huge thank you everyone for your help! The coloured strips were perfectly picked out.
I may have been swindled a little by the sewing shop, but they did do great work on what looks like quite a difficult job, with only some minor issues that we can clean up ourselves. So I’m very happy with how gorgeous the dress turned out :slight_smile:

I feel like I need to say something more momentous, I don’t know haha. Thanks everyone here for the support, I really really appreciate this forum and all your assistance in getting this gift! You’re all amazing :smiley:

13 Likes

That looks absolutely incredible, well worth all the effort. Great work! Happy we could help :slight_smile:

It came out great!! I’m glad your gift idea worked out!

It looks perfect!