Whomping Willow (or Tree of Life) Wall Decor

I created this piece for @momiemae in the Owl Post Swap. She had a few Tree of Life Dreamcatcher-esque pieces on her Pinterest, and it reminded me of the Whomping Willow in Harry Potter. And I even had all the supplies in my stash already!

I used a 10" metal macrame ring. I used vine-wrapped wire to create the tree, and wrap the outside of the hoop, and then created a sort of net with a mix of floral wire and yarn, in between the tree branches, so that there would be something to glue to dried moss to. I mixed a few types of dried moss, to try to get some depth of color, and give the tree some dimension.

The tiny blue car is a metal charm that was in my stash, that seemed perfect to play the role of the Weasley’s flying Ford Anglia. But just in case momiemae wants to hide her geeky Potter love at any point, the car is on a magnet, and can be removed from the piece if need be.

I hung some Vintaj brass stars and some Swarovski crystal stars from the branches to give a touch of magical sparkle.

Finally, I finished the bottom with strands numerous yarns from my stash, including a fun golden mohair with bits of red, yellow, green and blue in it, to stand in for the Hogwarts Houses.

37 Likes

So so cool, I love all the textures you got from the variety of moss.

2 Likes

It is nicely done!

I can see it being a lot of different trees depending on what you add to it…ha ha the blue car threw me off since I am not an HP follower…but it fits and makes it unique for your partner!

2 Likes

It’s lovely! The HP car and stars make it wonderful.

3 Likes

This is a real showpiece! I bet it would be hard to stop peering at in person.

2 Likes

Thats truly one of a kind! I love how it came out

2 Likes

Love this,

2 Likes

So wonderful and subtlety geeky. I love all those yarns at the bottom. :star_struck:

2 Likes

This is beautiful! I especially like the stars & all that glorious yarn, yummy!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh…this has to be one of the prettiest things I’ve ever seen. Amazing work, wow, wow, wow

1 Like

I love the textures of the moss and all the colors of the ribbons, such a great combination!

2 Likes

I really like the colour combo of the yarn and moss and the car is such a cute touch!

2 Likes

I love everything about this. It is so cool! I love the moss, the stars hanging, the fibers, stunning.

3 Likes

This is wonderful! I love the textures and the way the moss layers suggest branches underneath. Getting a true organic tree shape is hard, and this SUPER looks like a tree. I want to touch iiiiiiiit! :smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful job! I love how you used her Pin as inspiration and created your own masterpiece!

2 Likes

This is so clever and just so right! I really like the whimsy feeling of it.

2 Likes

I love it!
It’s just amazing. I love how you made it, the materials you used, the colors, the fringes, the mosses and the little car.

1 Like

This is so amazing!

1 Like

This is spectacular! I especially love the fibers hanging from the hoop, they make me think of a rainbow or tree roots. It must have taken you such a long time to create!

1 Like

Truly excellent. The colors and the composition. I love the materials, but the little hanging stars are just so sweet.

Great job!

1 Like