Wonderful Mistake of Nature Embroidery

This was a Christmas gift to my best friend, based on his favorite quote from Over the Garden Wall. I wanted to try something new, so I tried to make it look somewhat like a painting.

I did not use a pattern, this is my own concept and design. I sketched straight onto the fabric and winged it when needed… like that woodpecker.

10", thousands of stitches, 8 skeins of thread + some, ~ 30 hours of work, and 7 stab wounds. I wish I’d had time to add more leafy stuff to fill in the background. Very pleased with it overall, though. Will not be doing this painterly style of embroidery this big again anytime soon!

P.S. I used real buttons and crayon tinting on the banner because thinking about doing more embroidery made me want to cry. :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

omgosh this is amazing! I love the red tones in the hat and all.those.stitches! Wow!

1 Like

You did an amazing job! The fill stitch is so good.

1 Like

Wow! What an amazing amount of patience you must have! Nice job!

1 Like

What an amazing gift! The stitching is great, like a Van Gogh painting. Great job!

1 Like

Amazing! I love the technique you used, but yeah, I can imagine it took a LOT of time!

1 Like

This is a true labor of love. It’s just so awesome!

1 Like

Great job, I would be thrilled to receive this from a friend :grin:

1 Like

What a special gift!!

1 Like

Oh my word, this is unreal! I am trying to learn how to do that sort of thread sketching but it eludes me. You did such an incredible job, I couldn’t possibly get close enough to satisfy my eyes.

1 Like

You just made my day! That’s exactly what I was going for! :smiley:

1 Like

You made my day! Now I’m super inspired to do some stitching today! Start the new year off with crafting, yeah :tada:

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

Honestly I couldn’t find any tutorials on how to do this… I’m not a frequent embroiderer so it’s possible I didn’t know how to even search for what I was looking for. I just jumped in feet first and if I didn’t like something, I just stitched over it. I guess that’s the beauty of tiny stitches. :joy:

Absolutely love this!

1 Like

I love that show, and this embroidery hoop is so beautiful. Great job, he better appreciate the time it took:P and while it’s possible to add more I think this looks great, it looks complete.

1 Like

The texture in this is marvellous! your freehand stitching is so lively and painterly.

1 Like

Wow, this is awesome. I’ll have to look up where specifically in OTGW that quote is from. You captured the bluebird’s expression perfectly.

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing :heart:

1 Like

This is beautiful! I love the detail shots, such nice texture & shading in the stitches. I also really like the tinting on the banner. :grinning:

1 Like

wow! that looks so cool! I have been collecting images of wildflowers that I want to ‘embroidery paint’ but haven’t had the guts to give it a go! You have nudged up my motivation to give it a go!

1 Like