Wood and leather dice tower and box plus extras

My whole family is into Dungeons & Dragons, but my son is just setting off into having games with friends instead of family. So for Christmas I made him a snazzy D&D-on-the-go kit.

This is a laser cut box with leather top and hinges. There are magnets to keep the top closed.

It opens up into half storage space, half dice tower. The bottom and internal platforms are covered in leather to make a nicer rolling sound.

Here it is full and ready to go.

Then for his battle mat needs, I made these laser cut tokens. The stars have the different player class symbols on top. The circles are 5 different colors with 4 different symbols on top. That way they can be any monster needed, but you can tell them apart. They all have a regular side and a side with a circle on it so they can be flipped to indicate a battle condition.

Then finally there’s a little knit/crochet drawstring bag to keep the tokens in, covered in dragon scales.

It was a big hit!

27 Likes

That is an incredible kit! Extremely professional looking. Not to mention cool.

1 Like

I don’t know much of anything about D&D, but WOW THIS IS COOL! No wonder it was a big hit! I bet he was the envy of his friends.

1 Like

That is thoroughly incredible, wowzers!
I got the Wingspan game with both add ons and saw the coolest things on etsy to replace the cardboardy parts that come with the game. I have never been more tempted to buy a laser cutting machine! I have zero idea where to even start figuring out how to use such a thing but the temptation was REAL! You make incredible things.

3 Likes

Oooh, I love Wingspan. I got my mom one of the expansion sets for Christmas.

Laser cutting is one of my favorite addictions!

1 Like

Love that you lined the dice tower with leather to give a good sound.

What are the dragon scales made of?

They’re anodized aluminium scales in black from The Ring Lord

1 Like

You are the best momma! All of this is just awesome.

1 Like

I love this so much

1 Like

My son would go nuts for this! You’re such a cool mom.

2 Likes

This is sooooo fantastic!! Totally practical and really visually fabulous as well!!

1 Like

Excellent!! What a treasure for their gaming!! Much nicer than my son’s dice tower! :slight_smile: The leather and wood should make for nice dice rolling sounds! How large is it overall??

You have a laser cutter??
The dragon scales are super! Did you sew those on after making the bag or are the holes in them large enough for your crochet hook to hook through? Looks great!!

My niece is the longest running female dungeon master for DnD in the world. She’s been running a DnD game since the 70s. I have no idea if she has a dice tower. I know she has a ton of dice! lol!

2 Likes

As a player myself, I definitely have envy for this beautiful piece of work. I bet he will cherish it forever.

1 Like

what an amazing gift! that box/dice tower is pure awesomeness!

Wingspan is great. If you like that one maybe check out Everdell.

1 Like

This is stunning!

@Harlan, I’ve used the scales many times making dice bags. The holes are big enough to use a 5mm crochet hook right through them, which is perfect for a nice tight bag using worsted yarn. I think most of mine were posted over on Deadster, but I made one for my dad for Father’s Day last year that’s here on LC. You might be able to see how they work on that post.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to make a tutorial for this one. I’m supposed to make another for my brother, so I’ll try to remember to take pictures this time. I actually crochet the bottom to get a nice circle, knit the sides with the scales added every other row (and yes, the hole are big enough to get the needle through and fish through the yarn), then switch back to crochet at the top to do an easy cinch top.

That’s amazing! My longest running game so far was about 5 years.

Oooh, yes. I’ll have to!

2 Likes

I may have to go looking for some faux suede yarn.

Aww, you sent him off into the D&D world well prepared. Good on you! and what a fun freaking project!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Dice Tower is one of this week’s featured projects! You are awesome!

2 Likes

This is amazing! Best nerd parent ever!

1 Like