Wooden Kitchen Utensils

I do think I’m done. Just have to let it sit overnight, then I can use it by supper tomorrow night. (however, I will probably dunk it in boiling water a few times before actually using it. Just to be sure it’s cleaned, O_o).

I still have plenty of oak left, so I have plans on making quite a few. Hence the title of this.

A few rules for my utensils. As per my chronic pain suffers and lovers of cooking discussion post, I am making these to be easy to clean. There will be no holes. No nooks and crannies of any kind, and no rubber or anything for the handles. Also, even though they could be pretty, no wood burned designs or paintings/pictures. Easy cleaning is of upmost importance.

To that, I’m going to try a few experimental designs to see if I can make some that will function just as well as the ones with holes. So, this will be a fun experiment. Yay!

(hmm! Should have a kitchen tag, heh).

16 Likes

Beauty in function. It looks like it will be comfortable to hold while you are using it, too.

1 Like

These are fantastic. You definitely do not need a design on them to make them pretty: the simple wood grain and natural color are beautiful.

2 Likes

Wonderful job! I agree I love the simplicity of letting the wood take center stage, no design needed and fits exactly your purpose!

1 Like

Beautiful as is. No frills needed. And should serve your needs perfectly. Great job!

1 Like

Agreed- the simplicity of the design adds to the beauty. I’m looking forward to seeing your future experiments!

1 Like

I prefer them with no holes, nooks, or burnt images and I love the ergonomic design. Great job!

1 Like

I so admire woodworking! Your spatula is gorgeous with its clean lines. What sort of finisher do you use on a cooking utensil? Same thing people use to condition cutting boards?

1 Like

Yep! Cutting board oil and cutting board beeswax.

This one, I put two coats of oil on, and one of beeswax. Give a good beginning example/test point.

1 Like

Such a lovely form and I love how thoughtful you’ve been with your design.

The one on the right is an experimental piece. It’s shaped in such a way, that, maybe, it’d be good for puddings and stovetop custards. Meh, will be interesting to see what happens.

3 Likes

I love the shape of these! So good for things like gravy and roux that will burn if you don’t keep scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir.

1 Like

Ok! After doing a lot of searching and reading, red oak was not the best wood to use. So I will need to remake these utensils. I was able to make some money off those salad sporks, so I have a five inch draw knife coming, and hopefully that will make these a lot easier to make. Also, I’ll attempt to use the draw knife to shape some mulberry branches I have to make them safer to mill on my table saw. That way I won’t have to buy any wood as well.

So far, everything I’ve found does not say mulberry can’t be used for kitchen utensils (knock on wood…gods know I’ve messed up too many times overlooking one small detail, O_o, yeesh).

So here’s to hoping, heh.

1 Like

Beautifully formed. You have an eye for this, nicely done.

I’ve wanted to try woodworking for a while and this doesn’t help. It’s simple but amazingly pretty, no need for holes and designs if you want something that functions well. Good luck with the experiments

Since it turned out red oak isn’t the best, I spent what little I had on some hickory and am remaking them.

It’s a slow process, but I’m getting there.

Wolverine’s lesser known cousin, Chef Cuisine.

4 Likes

Very lovely! And your Wolverine claws are hilarious.

1 Like

These two sets are finally done. Pshew! That was annoying, but they look awesome, heh.

3 Likes

They do look awesome! And the handles look like they feel good to hold as well. Beautiful job!

Really lovely.