Woodpecker Painting with Polymer Clay

As part of the Ongoing Ornament swap I decided to try my hand at “painting” using polymer clay on an ornament for @Lynx.

My rules were simple: the entire piece had to be clay, no actual paint whatsoever. I love working with clay but this was my first attempt at this particular style.

I started with a metal round as a base and created a marbled clay background to cover it. For the rest I just rolled clay as thin as possible and then began layering and blending it.

The end result is a bit impressionist but I really like the dimensionality.

32 Likes

I love this! And I love this even more that I know that you did not use paint! I wondered if you had used poly clay! This is really really beautiful. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

That is really cool.

2 Likes

Wow, this turned out beautifully!

1 Like

Beautiful … as a bird watcher/photographer, I like that you added little details, like the brown tufting around his beak.

1 Like

all of that is clay?!?? DANG! If you wouldn’t have told me I would’ve never known
This is magnificent, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Wow! I can’t even paint with paint let alone clay. Amazing!

3 Likes

This is beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone!

Beautiful!

1 Like

Gorgeous! It looks so much like paint paint. Very cool!

1 Like

That’s super rad! I love the painting with clay technique.

1 Like

So much texture, and the marbeling is sublime!

1 Like

Wow!!

1 Like

I think this is the first I’ve seen this kind of polyclay technique and it looks so cool!

2 Likes

Thank you! If you search pinterest there are some beautiful examples of polymer clay art/painting.

I’m keeping it out year round and happily looking at it right now!

1 Like

Awww, that makes me so happy!

The texture is really amazing, so cool!