Yarnies vs. sewists swap - polls open!

Would anyone be interested in a sock swap? I know we have a bunch of sock knitters here.
Edit: I changed the title to hopefully attract more attention.
My original plan was a sock swap, but it seems more people are interested in swapping socks or possibly any knitted item, for a sewn item.

5 Likes

Hmmm is the craft time eleventy billion years? Lol just kidding, that’s just myyyy timeline. Haha

I would be interested, definitely.

5 Likes

Some people need strict deadlines and we can always call in @Cindy to make sure everyone sticks to them!

I’m not sure what a reasonable deadline is. I usually knit a sock in about a week, but I’m not distracted by kids. I know some weeks I get more knitting done than other weeks, some people may have to order yarn if they don’t have stash or a LYS around the corner like I do. So maybe 6-8 weeks?

I think there are active sock knitters on both sides of the Atlantic, it would be great if we could split it in two and have US-only and EU-only swappers. The whole reason I was taking a swapping break is because my swap packages took months to arrive.

3 Likes

How about if we split up even further…the first part of the swap could be to knit ONE for your partner and mail it back with the remaining yarn. Then, you have to knit the second sock to complete the swap. It could still be in the 6-8 week window.

You are still knitting a pair…just one for your partner and one for you. It might make it more interesting and less boring with different yarns and even different patterns.

That’s an interesting twist… it would definitely cut down craft-to-ship time and help anyone who suffers from second sock syndrome…:thinking:

1 Like

That’s what I thought…and, then you also have a finished sock to judge the length, adjust any fit issues, etc. If the sock doesn’t fit, you could still make the second sock the same and give them away as a gift.

I would suggest a fairly easy pattern and both partners could discuss toe-up or toe-down, leg pattern, etc. Shoot, we could make it a regular personal swap thing just to get that second sock done…

Hey, we could even give participants a choice…pair two sockers with two sockers! Etc.

Interested! Especially with the added twist/discussion.

I hadn’t thought of a one-sock swap! But if people are interested in that, sure! I would hope that people don’t let that yarn turn into a UFO.

For the fit my idea was to have people supply the desired length of foot, length of leg and width of the sock, not just the shoe size. It could be difficult to get a perfect sock without fitting, but on the other hand, you don’t try on store-bought socks either.

1 Like

I would make it a condition of completing the swap that it has to be a pair. No one wants to flake on themselves, right? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

sad face
Open your hearts to us sad non-knitters? We could send sock yarn & patterns in exchange for finished pairs?

3 Likes

I thought at the old place we had a swap like that…something like yarnies vs sewists? If not, that would also make a great swap!

3 Likes

Ya we did, I made my partner a scoodie!

2 Likes

Oh that’s actually also a great idea!

You destash yarn & get something new without having to break any no-buy policies. Win-win, right?

Absolutely, this has to be part of the swap … :ant::honeybee: might not finish otherwise :joy:

3 Likes

I seem to be developing a reputation :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

But a good one!!!

2 Likes

I would be interested, but I’d probably rather swap a pair of socks for something else that’s a comparable large (time-wise). e.g. lap quilt, shawl, other sewn or knitted item.

I could go on either team, but I’d probably rather receive socks and make another sewn or knitted thing.

2 Likes

This is leaning in the knitters vs sewists territory. I can sew anything but the needles are my nemesis.

3 Likes

More people could participate if we didn’t limit it to socks…I think in the sockalong we only have about 8 people.

2 Likes