Yule Log Cake - Great LC Holiday Bakeoff 2021 Entry

I have been wanting to make a Yule Log Cake for years now. Mr. Road’s aunt used to have a famous dessert party at the beginning of December every year, and the Yule Log was the centerpiece (complete with meringue mushrooms and candied leaves). The dessert party has since taken a back seat to life’s other demands, but I had hoped to carry on the tradition. This year, I was determined!

Then COVID messed up our 2nd Xmas in a row and we just didn’t have enough people at my house to justify making a whole cake. But as the days ticked by and we STILL haven’t gotten together, I decided to just go for it and make it for New Year’s Day! I was extra excited that I could still squeeze it in for the Bake Off Challenge. Bonus!

Supplies gathered! I used this recipe for the cake.

Baked and 1st roll!

Filled and re-rolled.

Chilled, pre-ganache. Deciding on placement of the branch.

After the ganache was added and I snuck in some photos, little hands helped me finish decorating.

You can never have too much chocolate, right?

Thanks for looking! Happy New Year!

21 Likes

That looks so amazing, top marks! Star baker for you! :star: :star: :star:

1 Like

That looks amazing! Loving the real bark look

1 Like

Wow, that came out fabulous!

1 Like

My husband would say it doesn’t matter how many people are around, make the whole cake :smiley:

7 Likes

Haha. True!

1 Like

It’s adorable! It looks pretty dang tasty, too.

1 Like

This looks amazing! Wish I could stop by for a slice. :star_struck:

1 Like

Your roll is really even. Gorgeous!

1 Like

That dessert party sounds like a fun tradition. I hope this year you can squeeze it in! Your cake looks scrumptious.

1 Like

It’s so pretty! I also love your little quilted mats, did you make those?

1 Like

That looks delicious!

1 Like

I did! My daughters used them as placemats for a few years, but now they’re retired to my kitchen drawer. Thanks for noticing. :grin:

2 Likes

Happy Yule! looks delicious!

1 Like

Looks delicious and I love your potholders/mats! Precious!

1 Like

Looks fantastic! I wanted to bake one this year but ended up with cookies instead lol.
Love the placemats too.

1 Like

I am so impressed with this! I think I tried some kind of a roll once and I just have these nightmarish flashbacks of broken cake everywhere :smile:

1 Like

Wow, this looks so impressive! Thanks for the progress photos along the way :hugs:

1 Like