Zelda: Majora's Mask Skull kid (Work in Progress)

I have been working on this piece, off and on, for the last 2 months. It has a lot of pieces to it and has been a frustratingly amazing experience, to say the least! But I can almost see an end. Just 30 more hours of labor! Haha

This piece is inspired by this picture:

I also have some of the masks made up:

Here are a few more pics:

Let me know what you all think!
I welcome all criticism!

23 Likes

I love the masks. Especially the bunny ears

1 Like

@MissingWillow, I had fun making the bunny ears. Glad you like them!

1 Like

Yes, all the little masks are great! The feet/shoes really give a sense of motion. So cool!

1 Like

That’s so sick, dude! I love it! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

1 Like

@endymion, most of the people I show usually comment on the shoes. It always brings a smile because the shoes were not just the starting point, they were the most difficult part of the process (aside from figuring out how I’m going to make the thing go together). When it’s all put together (with the head and hands on it, no clothing) the body comes out to be 24 individual pieces. And that’s not counting the toothpicks and glue I used to pegged the joints together. Altogether this thing will have more than 70 individual pieces used to make it. As you can tell, I don’t mess around lol.

6 Likes

Really cool! I look forward to seeing it when it’s all the way done. :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, just wow. Amazing work. I love the poses and the action it implies. Great work.

1 Like

You’re like a magician with wood. Everything is so so tiny and well done! Those masks are very cool!

1 Like

Woah! So intricate and detailed! I’m super impressed!

1 Like

Super cool. I love the flow and movement your piece has. Can’t wait to see it done.

2 Likes

@RagingSloth, neither can I! After 70 or so hours of trial and error, I’m finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Just 30 or so more hours. lol

2 Likes

This is just a rough set up to show how it will be oriented.

The wire that the masks are attached to will be replaced with a red ribbon with wire in it. This will give it the rigidity necessary to hold up the figure, to simulate floating.

If anyone has any ideas that I could use to simulate floating, instead of ribbon wire, I would love to hear it. I’m open to suggestions!

2 Likes

:astonished:
Wow! You’ve definitely put a lot of effort into this and it shows! Thank you for the in progress pictures, they gave me a much better understanding of all the hours you’ve put into this. The hand looks like it would’ve taken a while and those shoes are pretty impressive!

1 Like

I couldn’t find any ribbon with strong enough wire, so I made it out of clay! It’s going to be a lot thicker, but that doesn’t bother me. It actually turned out pretty good, in my opinion.

It will, of course, be painted so please ignore the random orange and purple.

If anyone can link me to thick gauge ribbon wire, I’d love to have it. Otherwise this is what I’m going with.

2 Likes

Just in case I didn’t specify enough, I have 3 copper wires going through this clay piece so it won’t break apart as easily.

2 Likes

Must have been hard to get the wires in the clay. Nice job!

1 Like

@endymion it certainly was! But persistence is key! Trial and error (mostly error) doesn’t hurt either. But once I got it all together, the only tough part after was withstanding the heat, long enough, to bend it to shape while it cooled. After that, it was simple sanding.

1 Like

Bit by bit

2 Likes

This is where things get iffy. On top of that most of my clay went missing so he’s getting yellow pants now

3 Likes