Zine swap Gallery

I received my first zine for the swap from @LindyBlues!

Celebrate!

:tada: :tada: :tada:

She made a cool zine about celebrating everyday holidays in November! :tada:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes! When I constructed, I knew that when it was photocopied, I would have white edges, so I got an 11x17 piece of paper and trimmed 0.25" off of all the edges and then folded it and created my pages. Then when I photocopied, I just trimmed off the edges and folded it again. I think it worked well with the seamless background I used. Otherwise, I think it would be super difficult to fold on the same exact lines. Then I did glue the folded pages together and trimmed off anything that didn’t quite line up very well. It didn’t end up perfect, but that’s what Zines are all about!

The paper was smooth and that’s what created that glossy look. I used the nice paper and photocopier at my husband’s work. We went in on the weekend to do a scan and he said we could print a few. :slight_smile: Otherwise, I’m not sure what type of paper they’d have at a copy shop.

I chose the 11x17 paper because I knew that otherwise, the Zine would be TINY and felt like it would make the pages a bit bigger. I’m not good at working super small, so it worked out for me.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see the full zines posted! They are all so different and interesting!

2 Likes

@LindyBlues

I love this concept, and the resulting zine!

Thanks, @Kwality570, for sharing your techniques.

Yeah, I was feeling the same way. The one I sent for this swap was folded as a mini-zine, but using (slightly trimmed) legal-sized paper.

I’ve got another in the works that is designed for an 11x17” sheet.

Side question: How is everyone planning to display and/or store the zines you collect?

1 Like

I would prefer not to post my own full zine so as to not spoil the story for anyone in the future who will receive it. :slight_smile: But since both of my partners have received for this swap, I will say that the zine is a letter from a fictional person to her husband and on the inside when fully opened is a map referenced in the story. :zombie: :world_map:

As for the zines I receive, I only plan on showing non-spoilery pics and will defer to the author to decide if they want to post their full zine or not. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m loving all the cool zines in this gallery; I’m just rubbish at remembering to actually comment :woman_facepalming:t2: .

Have not figured that out yet. If they won’t fit in ATC pockets, I might try to rig up some other receptacle in my ATC binder.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some good projects making a little box or holding space that fits onto a bookshelf for smaller zines to sit in.

4 Likes

At the moment I have my zines in a box. But Im thinkink of how to store the master copy too. Maybe in another box where it can lay just flat (if made from a single paper)

2 Likes

Look at this amazing zine from @LovelyMiss! I am in awe of everything! The knowledge, the research, the drawings, the layout, the binding… I love it; thank you!

Also… great reminders of some of the stuff I learned in therapy, and I think I really needed them :heart:

Summary

And all the cute stickers and beautiful stamps, too :heart_eyes:

I love it all; thank you!!

8 Likes

Thank you! The hardest part for me was folding the photocopy in the right way… it took me… let’s just say it took me many tries lol!

4 Likes

Wow, @LovelyMiss! So much info in there!!! And a lot of care, it seems to me.

2 Likes

I received a hilariously awesome zine from @Kwality570!! My dad is visiting and we celebrated the girls’ bday last night so I’m a little behind in posting, but I love it!!!

Top Secret

Soo creative! In @Kwality570’s note she said she did some internet sleuthing to help come up with crimes. Are these based on actual events?!

9 Likes

My current interest in zines has inspired my son to make one. He says it will be an RPG/choose-your-own-adventure zine. Sounds cool to me!

7 Likes

I received my second zine. This one is from @curiousfae!

Fish Sticks!

This is a really fun zine showing SFW swears in beautifully illustrated and very creative settings!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How very cool! Fun concept, and the art style is great.

1 Like

I received a lovely zine from @geekgirl and it was a very elucidative experience!

Get schooled

6 Likes

Mine from @curiousfae is here as well! On a subject we’d just been discussing with the 10-year-old, who is considering adding her own contribution on the back.

Summary

Potato! Potato! Potato!!!

4 Likes

Ah, just gotta love the word-nerd zines. Zines after my own heart! Both zines have fabulous art as well as fun content.

Since two people have shown photos of @curiousfae’s zine, I’m going to assume it’s safe to make a related comment. When we were young, my sister and I would curse by saying, “Fewmets!” (A couple of our favorite fantasy books had taught us that this meant “dragon droppings”.)

4 Likes

My dad let us use foreign swear words when we were kids…but heaven forbid if we used English ones, even the mild ones.

3 Likes

Thanks guys! I had a lot of fun thinking of silly words and designing images to illustrate the words in situations where you would normally see a curse word. The thought was so ridiculous to me and really enjoyable.

5 Likes