I’m expecting a baby in April, and my mom thought I might be bored while waiting for her to arrive. So she sent me 2 boxes of pre-cut fabric to ‘keep me busy’. It was all children’s prints, most of which I would not have chosen. To be honest, after losing several pregnancies, I felt overwhelmed by it all, and it was making me seriously anxious. So to try to get over that feeling of anxiety, I decided to put together a simple baby quilt without my usual planning and deliberation. I just dove in. I used 1 pack of jelly roll strips (4 each of 5 designs), 2 fat quarters, and 1 1-yard cut for the backing, to make this cheerful little zoo quilt.
Actually, that’s not quite true. Mom sent 3 packs of the same zoo jelly roll strips, and I didn’t like one of the prints for this quilt, so I opened a second pack of them, and took out 4 of the strips I had used in the quilt itself, to use as the binding. The black and white print seemed to be the best match between the patterned front, and the turquoise polka dot backing.
I started with just a basic Rail Fence pattern, alternating darker strips with white prints. But somehow the blocks still lacked contrast, and I kind of hated it by the midway point. So I added pink and lime green corners to each rail fence block, to create a secondary diamond effect.
I used a 1-yard cut of turquoise with white polka dots for the backing, and had just enough.
All in all, I’m happy with how it came out. I never would have picked the fabrics or the pattern, but it felt good to use stuff up right away, rather than have it sit around in my stash for years to come. And I was even able to use up scraps of batting that I pieced together for it, so it was an entirely free quit. Now to figure out what to do with the remaining 10 1-yard cuts, 4 fat quarter bundles, 12 loose fat quarters, 4 jelly roll strip sets, and 3 charm packs…