Zoom Craft Classes

Good idea! With the complete understanding that those nominated would be in no way pressured or obligated to do so. Some folks are shy, and might not be up for it, even if we all believe in them 1000%.

4 Likes

That is so beautiful! I would love to make this.

2 Likes

It can be a collaborative way to pass on supplies as well…If someone needs certain supplies for a kit, maybe some of us can help! For instance, I have loads of linen that might be used in an embroidery class? Thinking out loud…

6 Likes

Yes-We could have a community chest for those who need supplies.

8 Likes

LOVE THIS IDEA! I love free but would totally pay a nominal fee to support the site or donate time & craft supplies!

1 Like

This is a wonderful idea! And a great way to encourage the internet to see LC as even more of a makers’ resource! If I can think of something that I do well-enough that is a class-length project I would consider teaching, too. I did teach decorative painting techniques to UAW members many years ago. Really.

2 Likes

On one hand, I’m overwhelmed with the amount of instruction and classes already available online, and I still haven’t watched classes I’ve been paying for since January. But on the other hand, I still think it’s fun to get together with people I sorta-know to craft online, live or in discussion board format, and I love doing things to support this community. I think that the sense of support and community is a huge factor in the success of free-or-cheap online classes, and we’ve got that built in. We have some honest-to-goodness Teachers here, but it’s also a great opportunity for anyone else to practice or try out online teaching in a supportive and safe space. Kind of like Show and Tell, except actually walking through the process of making the thing. And even putting the whole thing together is shaping up to be a community project!

@BeesKnees found a cheap app for filming birds’-eye-view style on an Android phone, and now I don’t remember what it’s called. But that might be super helpful.

I like the model of a $5 fee, with the option to cover someone else’s fee and/or send supplies. I think there would be a lot of gifting of classes. And whatever page has the purchase info, include a link to donate to the site in general, just to make it clear this is not the project of a wealthy giant craft conglomerate. :grin: Maybe offer the first class free regardless, for LC newbies? But they’ve got to give some kind of registration info so we don’t get a bot invasion.

7 Likes

The app is DroidCam for android phones (free, or DriodCamX for $5 which gives you controls). I am sure there is an apple version out there somewhere. I was able to secure my phone to my desk lamp to give an overhead view of my work area, and when in Zoom, you just can just switch cameras on the fly between your regular face cam, and any other cam you have set up on your computer. Happy to give pointers if anyone needs them!

12 Likes

Thanks! It was so nice seeing you…and learning about this app! I have an Android and would love to be able to show the work or whatever and I am sure I could figure out how to make family zooms better!

2 Likes

I absolutely love the idea! And I’d also pay for it to support this site. I couldn’t help out with supplies but I’d be happy to cover someone else’s fee.

2 Likes

I love this idea! & I’d be willing to pay for classes! :grin:

2 Likes

I love this community :heart: I was just thinking the same. I couldn’t do it all the time, but I’d be happy to help someone that couldn’t afford to pay (anonymously of course! We don’t need to know who needs the moneys)

I was thinking depending on how many paying students LC could gift a few too? I love the support of the community and how so many of us freely give time, advice, tutorials, etc and I would hate for anyone to feel like they can’t be a part of all the fun. But I do understand the need to make money. Just kinda brainspewing right now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Is the goal to provide fun activities or raise money for the community? I like the idea of the zoom craft classes, but personally I’d rather donate to the site than pay for the zooms.

6 Likes

When I was an undergrad at Northeastern, I was in the Honors college. They had a program that significantly lowered the prices for tickets to major shows, but didn’t make them outright free. The thinking was that if something was entirely free, we as students might not appreciate it. So I paid $5 to see the Boston Pops, with John Williams conducting his new score to then-upcoming film Angela’s Ashes, and Bernadette Peter’s was visiting, so they let her sing with them that night, because why not? Later that year I paid $7 to see Blue Man Group, whose tickets were selling for $60+ in 1999 dollars. I was such a broke student, living on $80 a week, that I never would have been able to go to those shows, and to this day I truly appreciate that I was able to do so. I paid what I could, for high quality arts events.

The internet does indeed offer us such a wealth of ‘free’ information and classes, that sometimes I feel like we need to be reminded that such things have true value, and we should support them. My thought about a nominal fee, such as $5, was partially for supporting the site so we can continue to offer things like prizes in board and site-wide Challenges. But also as a nod to the fact that the teachers, and Pam & the Mod Squad would be putting in the work to make these classes happen. There would be hours of prep work, and figuring out recording, editing, and posting videos. While our work would essentially be donated, that nominal fee could help send a small thank you gift to those who teach, and could help with hosting costs, etc.

So yeah, I support a small easily payable fee, and I LOVE the idea of those who can, occasionally making a gift of a class to those who cannot. We’ve all been there at some point, and that seemingly small gift can feel like winning the lottery when you need it most.

22 Likes

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You pointed out a few things that I hadn’t previously considered, specifically around engagement/appreciation/acknowledgement of the huge amount of effort that would be required. Taking all of that into consideration, I really like the idea of the $5 fee.

Separately, I would still be interested in donating to the site if needed.

7 Likes

Mistress, I know what I’d LOVE to see you teach! Putting together a more intricate Cricut/Silhouette project, like a box or lantern. I use mine mostly for tee shirt transfers or simple cards, and am intimidated by the kind of projects you frequently bust out. Folks could all buy the same cut pattern, and cut the papers ahead of time, and just be ready to assemble during class. Even when things have directions, they can be intimidating, and having someone calmly walk you through what looks so intricate, it can seem like knowledge straight from the gods.

6 Likes

Asheville, NC? If so, I hope there’s a meet up again someday! I now live just shy of 90 minutes south of there now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hosted an Asheville meetup when we were still over on Deadster, back in 2019. I’m planning my next one for Portland, OR, once travel is more feasible. Probably for 2022. Then later one in Paducah, KY.

9 Likes

I would love to participate in this.

I know there are lots of parents, teachers, scout leaders, etc. on here. Would people be interested in a session that was ‘teach-the-teacher’ where you’d learn a few simple crafts/arts activities (I have lots of STEM/STEAM activities I could teach :slightly_smiling_face:) that you could then go on to teach to others?

13 Likes

Aw, thank you! That is definitely an intriguing possibility. It hadn’t occurred to me that OF COURSE people with a digital cutter could cut their own ahead of time. D’oh! It could be a lot of fun to create something altogether as well as compare and contrast each others’ experiences, technique, etc.

3 Likes