Zoom Craft Classes

Part of the reason I really like this community a lot is following the process…it fascinates me…not that I want to do all the crafts, the learning how a person plans and prepares is intriguing! I know how things work, but to see it done is another thing all together…and to hear how a person selects a color, a fabric, a tool…that is educational to me!

5 Likes

This idea intrigues me!!

1 Like

I would love to teach a sewing class :smiley:

… I’ve had a lot of practise with remote teaching the last 2 years :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I was thinking of what I could teach, because I feel that I’m a bit of a jack of all trades, maybe not a master of any. But I could do a fabric printing class with basic tools.

And hitting up other folk off the top of my head @geekgirl does awesome junk journals. @magpie for sewing pouches and masterboards @MistressJennie and @anna.wahnsinn for jewellery making @jemimah for watercolors @steiconi and @MissingWillow for miniatures, there are loads more so many more folk that have mad skills.

But as @MistressJennie said earlier, no pressure on anyone to teach a class! Just gentle encouragement

18 Likes

I was hoping you would think about the fabric printing class…

3 Likes

Fabric printing would be awesome!

3 Likes

I would love to teach a miniatures class but we live so remotely our internet stinks (we don’t even have cell phone service at our house). I have never been able to successfully join a zoom call, dang it!

6 Likes

A wreath making class would be fun.

3 Likes

This sounds like fun! I’d be up for it!

1 Like

I just thought, I could also do an introduction to canning class. Go over the basics of tools you really need vs tools it’s nice to have, what you can use that’s already in your kitchen, safety, and a nice easy starter recipe like small-batch strawberry jam.

I know I was so scared to try canning, worried that I’d make a mistake and end up with a jar of botulism! I put it off for ages, finally trying with a friend who cans peaches every year, but nothing else. I was so excited after our batch of peaches, that I wanted to try alllllll the things. Now I make several canning projects a year, and put them aside to add to holiday gifts.

17 Likes

What a fabulous idea, Jennie!

2 Likes

I am enjoying a jar of your fabulous Peach & jalapeno pepper jelly from last July… :blush:

2 Likes

If I have enough internet data when/if this happens, I’d be in! Our data cap prevents us from too much streaming/video etc.

2 Likes

I love this idea! I would happily pay $5, and would also happily teach a class, though goodness knows in what. I’m not sure anyone would be interested in listening to me for long enough to learn anything. I could do knit or crochet best, unless there might be interest in a zoom class on historical garments, where I could go in depth on some of the Edwardian items I own. I’m only an amateur textile historian, but even maybe being able to get a good look at the construction of the garments would be interesting? Although. Probably not when a person can just go watch Abby Cox. :smiley:

8 Likes

I think it would be cool to watch a zoom of you going to the thrift stores and how you look at items to determine what can be purchased and repurposed…I always enjoy your thought process in this area as I get overwhelmed when I do any kind of shopping…

11 Likes

Well, THAT’s an interesting idea!

4 Likes

Um, yes! @calluna may be interested in this as well!

I haven’t had much luck with zoom but if classes were available for future pay-to-view I would appreciate it in that format. As for teaching, I did a scrappy fabric bead class in Asheville that everybody had success with. The junior videographers in my house might enjoy helping out with that.

8 Likes

I’m really loving the discussion in this thread!

It would be so much fun to take a class taught by LC members because I know it will be conducted within an environment that is non-judgmental and full of encouragement from friends.

Can’t wait for the inaugural class!

11 Likes

You’re so welcome. And I really hope it did come off as a ‘thoughtful reply’, and not calling anyone out, because I really didn’t intend my comment to be critical of anyone, especially you, as it was right below yours. :heart:

4 Likes

Some classes I’d like to see (but I don’t know who would host):

• Beginning cross-stitch
  • Beginning embroidery
  • Historic crafting (toys, household objects/tools, etc)
  • Historic cooking & baking
  • Watercolor painting
  • Oil painting
  • Quilt blocks
  • Crafting with kids
9 Likes