Zoom Craft Classes

Maybe eldest would be interested in a demo of his stop-motion animation work?

4 Likes

i agree with @Reinikka 's ideas.

Adding - coffee and tea dying fabric and paper, natural dyes for fabric and paper, stamp carving with house-hold stuff, card making (especially pop-up elements) without a computer/cutting machine.

8 Likes

And yes to $5.
And yes to contributing anonymously to a scholarship fund.

3 Likes

I am loving all of this! Our next step is to do a sign up list of those who want to teach a class. We are working out all the details and soon we will have all the details. EEEPPPP! We are really moving forward with this!

13 Likes

I love all of these ideas. I will say that if a kit is available for purchase for a class, I think you’d get more people to sign up when possible. If I had the ability to purchase a kit rather than try to find the exact items I need (and possibly end up with leftover supplies I may or may not use again), I’d be more likely to jump in. It would also probably be cheaper, too. Even with shipping costs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It absolutely would.

3 Likes

I’d be down for teaching… just don’t know what I would teach :sweat_smile: Maybe I could fulfill my own suggestion and do some kid’s crafts? :thinking:

2 Likes

I would probably want to do kids crafts myself, with no kids around. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I like the idea of having some kid-friendly sessions, some general interest, and some very much adults-only (whether because of dangerous tools used, inappropriate content, or drinking-while-crafting!), and the intended audience could be made clear in the publicity. That variety early on could provide useful feedback on what formats are working.

7 Likes

I love this idea! There are so many unique makers here that I would love to learn from! I especially like the idea of having the video available for later viewing for days when something comes up and I can’t make it to the zoom session.

1 Like

This sounds awesome! I might be willing to teach (not sure what, though) after I’ve finished moving- so this fall… September or October.

3 Likes

Miniatures!!!

4 Likes

I have the oil painting classes I made for CraftArtEDU gathering dust. One is an introduction to oil painting, the other is a 4 part class in painting a trillium which, among other things, teaches the difference between using titanium white (opaque) and zinc white (transparent).

They’re rather like a power point presentation & may include actual video within the presentation.

I want to get back to making classes. Will be very different without the programs we used at CAE. We’re about to rearrange my work space and once that is done, I would be willing to do some classes on needle and/or wet felting.

13 Likes

This is very exciting! I have nothing to offer teaching-wise, but would happily participate and pay. :blush:

3 Likes

Um, that’s not true. You could teach us so much! First to mind is tie dye or ice dyeing, and your technique for making scrappy fabric collages.

7 Likes

Just to put in my two bits.
Several people had mentioned they have nothing to teach or something to that effect.
I am probably in the same boat. While I have some knowledge I don’t know if I would be comfortable running a session that people pay money for :smiley: (even, or maybe especially, if it is going to a good cause).

3 add on ideas for that

1. add a guest spot on a main session (5 minutes maybe)
  2. do a TEDx type, where it’s sort of between a formal session and the Zoom Meet ups.

I might also be over thinking this too.

11 Likes

This would be great for general creative talks, like an art history class. I would totally volunteer to do one on my favorite artist.

9 Likes

I would LOVE to learn felting from @Harlan or scrappy collages from @Abbeeroad!

2 Likes

Right?! Awesome.

3 Likes

I can officially announce that LC Zoom Craft Classes ARE happening, and the first one will be:

:sparkles: :rainbow: :star: Magic Making with MistressJennie! :star: :rainbow: :sparkles:

The class will cover the use of beading wire and crimp beads, to make 1 rainbow suncatcher, AND 1 beaded bracelet with a charm. Kits will be available, and will be customized to each person who signs up. All suncatchers will be a rainbow of beads as pictured below, but the bracelets will be whatever color & whatever charm theme the participant requests. Kits will be an incredibly affordable $7.50, plus $3.50 shipping within the US. (International folks, I’ll have to figure your shipping based on your specific location.) The class fee to LC will be $5. So a whopping total of $16 to support your site, and get the makings of two lovely beaded creations. We will be limiting the class to 20 people, but if there are more folks interested in the class, we promise to hold a second session, so no one is left out. Class signups will be July 30-August 6th, and the class itself set for Saturday, August 21st. (Time of day TBD.) A Class thread with links to signup form, and supply list with links to sources will be posted tomorrow.

Please be patient as Pam & I navigate setting up this entirely new enterprise. :heartpulse:

24 Likes

Yes yes yes! I can’t wait!!!

1 Like