Zoom Halloween Party!

I remember! It’s pumpkin spice apple fizz. Ingredients:

• pumpkin spice syrup, the same stuff you use for pumpkin spice coffee. I always use the Monin brand syrups, they have every flavour you can think of, I hope you guys can buy it on the other side of the Atlantic too
  • ginger ale
  • apple juice

The recipe is 15 ml (1/2 oz) of syrup, 120 ml (4 oz) of apple juice and 60 ml (2 oz) of ginger ale. Take a glass, fill it with ice, pour all ingredients over it, done. Garnish with lemongrass and/or slices of ginger.

Can easily be turned into an alcoholic recipe by replacing the apple juice with alcoholic apple cider - it still has a pretty low alcohol % that way so it’s perfect for those who want to limit their alcohol intake.

The recipe comes from an official Monin representative who was mixing cocktails at a restaurant supply store a few years ago.

I haven’t tried non-alcoholic gin yet but my friend loves it. She drinks Seedlip. Mr Imma is a hardcore craft beer lover and he is quite impressed by some of the new non-alcoholic craft beers on the market.

4 Likes

That sounds amazing! I can get Monin syrup in Florida :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve wanted to try seedlip. But it’s an outrageous price here. Alcohol is expensive because of high taxes, but a bottle of seedlip is the same price as a good bottle of gin. €30

My favourite winter cocktail, but ingredients might not be available in the US.

Pimm’s -winter cup . It’s a different recipe from their normal Pimm’s, it’s got more spices.
With warmed apple juice. These are in a 1:3 ratio.
Then a shot of sloe gin poured on top.

It’s all autumnal and brambly. I’m not sure if I’ve any of the right Pimm’s left. But just sloe gin and warm Apple juice is a good cocktail by itself.

4 Likes

Yes it’s so expensive! And I’ve only seen full sized bottles. That’s why I haven’t tried yet. I’m not a massive fan of gin so I don’t want to spend that much on something I may not even like.

I know our old roommate used to make a cocktail with apple juice and whiskey, I’ll check if I can find it.

I don’t think I’ve commented in this thread yet, but I have the party written on the calendar and I’m excited to join! I’m thinking of breaking out the Silhouette machine and whipping up a shirt.
The non-alcoholic cocktail that @Immaculata posted sounds pretty darn tasty! I’ve never seen Monin brand syrup, Torani seems to be the common one around here.

2 Likes

My DW makes a mean cup of hot dark chocolate that takes very nicely to a shot of dark rum. Ymmm. Of course your fav hot chocolate could benefit as well.

Hot spiced wine with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Can we have dessert too? Pumpkin pie with whipped cream?

2 Likes

It’s expensive here too, but since we’ve stopped drinking, we’ve been saving about $100 a month over the last year, so I splurged a bit on the faux booze offerings. I’ve tried all three of the Seedlip varieties, and several of the Lyre’s offerings. I do like the Seedlip, but they are also nothing like gin. They are each unique and interesting, but none of them have that juniper & floral flavor of a gin. The Seedlip Garden tastes a lot like sugar snap peas, very green and vegetal. I really like it. The Spice is very clove-cinnamon-winter tasting. And the Grove is just vaguely citrus. That one has the least flavor to me. I found though that they get very overwhelmed by most mixers. They are better just topped with a seltzer & a garnish. Though I did also like the Garden and Grove in a Gimlet too.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! Do you want to give it a fancy Crafty or Halloween name?

When I was teaching college, some of us joked/daydreamed about opening a pub called The Rusty Bobbin, and would make up imaginary cocktails we named after sewing notions. One was The Seam Ripper. It was just a shot of tequila with a cherry in it, to mimic the red ball on the short end of a seam ripper. The tagline was ‘Always a bad idea.’

13 Likes

If no one sees me for a while, it’s because I’ve disappeared down this crafting/cocktail mashup rabbit hole :arrow_up:.

7 Likes

Can you get The Duchess non-alcoholic G&T there? I’m not a massive fan of actual gin so I’m not really the best person to recommend anything, but to me there’s a strong juniper taste.

1 Like

Hmm, it’ll be a tight squeeze, but I should be able to pop in for a little bit. That’s a 4pm start time for me, and I get home from work at 4:30. I also have my regular Thursday night knitting group that I host at 7:00pm. It will be an exercise in time management.

1 Like

That sounds delicious! My go to drink before figuring out my gluten issue was Jim Beam Apple flavored Bourbon. Sooo good, I do miss it.

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I just looked them up. Everything sounds delicious. Sadly, it looks like they aren’t selling in the US. :crossed_fingers: Hoping they make it over here at some point!

1 Like

I’m new here but this sounds fun. I’ll try to make it!!

10 Likes

I got this in my email today. Halloween zoom costume ideas.

https://www.joann.com/search?q=halloween%20zoom%20projects&prefn1=productGroup&prefv1=Project&utm_source=Joann&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign=20201017_E2_PM_DED_ADHOCX&utm_term=20201017_em_project_zoomprojects&rId=20201017_E2_PM_DED_ADHOCX&jid=0625663505&src=FREESHIP75&DWID=52289419&bxid=1031440262

3 Likes

I’d love to join in, but all our Halloween decor is boxed up as we are moving houses.

1 Like

Join in any way. Moving house face is scary!

I’ve decided on my costume…nothing new, but one I love. And the next day is a department meeting/Halloween Teams meeting, so I’ll be ready. W-o-o-o :ghost:

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to think of good costume ideas! I haven’t settled on anything yet, though. I’m a little reluctant to spend any money, so I’ll have to see what I can rustle up out of my kids’ dress-up bin and whatever I’ve got in my sewing room.

1 Like

Working on my kids’ costumes this weekend. Mine will be thrown together last minute I’m sure.

4 Likes

For all of you pondering costumes, remember: You can also choose to wear a Halloween shirt. Go ahead and decorate a tee! Use that Cricut/Silhouette, make up a freezer paper stencil, or whatever else you creative geniuses can think up!

7 Likes