2020 DeStash-Along

Exactly! I used to do paid work cleaning and organizing, you get to be pretty ruthless. Marie Kondo ain’t got nothing on me, baby!

2 Likes

I’m also someone who enjoys helping others sort/declutter, but I’m not very good at doing it to my own stuff - too many opportunities to get distracted and start making!

So… Road Trip? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That would in fact be an amazing crafty gathering, like travelling sorters going from stash to stash in one town over a week? Imagine what a group of us could do? You’d kiss us goodbye in the tidiest home with perfectly sorted shelves and a casserole in the oven.
My town first, please!:smile:

3 Likes

I found the image via Google (“tomato splatter fabric” being my keywords). The fabric is available on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/132600309946. :tomato:

@thanate I honestly invited my sister for a visit to force me to work on my space. Her house is immaculate.

Thank you for sharing. I wish I could pop over and help you make decisions. It seems to help if someone else is there.

4 Likes

Inspired by the fabric scraps destash, I made this wreath.

My wreath is done! I have created it’s own post here.

12 Likes

It does! I’ve sometimes helped my sister out just by talking to her on the phone while she was sorting her stash.

4 Likes

@Annchen - yes! maybe it’s a distraction from the sheer scope of the project. Or it feels like someone is in the trenches with you.

4 Likes

turned out great…how much stash did it use up? :smiley:

2 Likes

Or sometimes just the reminder that you’re supposed to be working on that, not going off & doing something else. My high school friends & I used to do that kind of thing, but I haven’t had that kind of friend living nearby in a while.

Also reporting back that I got off the internet for a bit, finished three things off the mending pile (two of which were taking up a lot of space) and in the process greatly reduced the stack next to the sewing machine! :grin:

4 Likes

If you saw the photo I posted with my small scraps stash, most of that brown boxy bag was full and it used up a bunch of it.

1 Like

I actually started with fabric rope bowls, but they were swap items, so had to be hush hush.

I added little succulents because I used yarn stash…and you can’t kill them!

12 Likes

I’ve had a friend come over before and sit in a chair in my craft room door so I couldn’t get out and I was forced to organize. (At my invitation. I’d have been pissed off if she decided to do that without me asking!)

6 Likes

So what’s our working definition of “stash?” Is it everything currently in our possession or does it have to linger in craft storage purgatory for a certain amount of time before it becomes stash? :thinking: Also, does its original purpose have to be lost to the mists of time, or is it still stash if we bought X item with Y intention, waited {mumble mumble} years and then finally did it? For instance, I’m currently making my son a set of pajamas that I promised him 2 years ago with the fabric that I bought at that time. Am I de-stashing?

(I’m mostly being silly, but I do kinda wonder…)

5 Likes

That’s called an intervention, isn’t it? :joy:
(I may or may not need one of those.)

6 Likes

I think of “stash” as all the goodies I have on hand with which to work whether I bought them 40 years ago or 10 seconds ago.

7 Likes

Hurrah! I’m de-stashing!

3 Likes

Same as @Harlan - everything that’s in the house and doesn’t entail a trip to the shops. Some isn’t very old, some is generational stash!

6 Likes

In the past I’ve considered stash to be anything that has lingered for more than a couple months without being used for whatever purpose I originally intended it for, or supplies acquired just because they appealed to me without any specific project in mind at the time.

For the purposes of my current craft supply stash I declared everything in my house on 1/1/20 to be stash and we’re moving forward from there.

6 Likes

I used up all the small bits of cotton yarn I have that wasnt enough for a complete project by making dish cloths with the random yarns.

Since these aren’t “pretty” I won’t mind using them for really gross jobs like cat vomit and really greasy stuff.

This is called a bead stitch. I really liked it. A bit different than a puff stitch because you work around the post of a double crochet rather than work as a normal stitch.

15 Likes