2020 DeStash-Along

Wow! That is a huge stash. My house is almost as packed! I have piles on the floors and craft supplies in every room of the house, including bathroom and kitchen. I am also lucky my parents live near by, since some of my stash now lives at their house. My goal this year is really to get my house under control. We are getting a new loveseat this weekend actually to replace our couch since one section of the couch always has fabric on it. We bought a loveseat that has a chaise section that opens up for storage that will become a place for fabric. Thatā€™s the first step. Now trying hard not to buy more fabric and supplies.

6 Likes

I donā€™t work well in too-neat spaces, but itā€™s a tricky balance.

ā€¦I hope not? Definitely something is, tho.

Best distraction! :grin:

That is so true! I need a few things strewn about to get creative. For me itā€™s finding the balance that works between letting things collide in my space so new ideas can be generated, and leaving enough room to move and create freely.

1 Like

Exactly.

@thanate I want to come over and rummage your stash, I just know there are so many treasures in those stacks!
And a little bit I want to help you organize, letā€™s be honest here. For me part of the fun of making a mess is the putting it all to rights again afterwards. Not right away, I do let it get ridiculously messy first but I like tidying up, Iā€™m weird, I know. Your house would be a fun project to sort out.

I share this philosophy. I do try to limit myself to the attic but our bedroom floor is sometime unviewable & Iā€™ve been known to take over the dining room, the living room, the back room, the porchā€¦ My man gave up and just let me spread out into both attic rooms. His office was becoming a dumping ground for things I didnā€™t want to deal with asap. Now at least itā€™s being used as sewing machine and fabric storage :smile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s also so much easier to organize someone elseā€™s mess. Youā€™re coming to it with fresh eyes, itā€™s interesting, and like a smelly baby, you get to give the not-so-fun bits back to the person whose mess it is. :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly! I used to do paid work cleaning and organizing, you get to be pretty ruthless. Marie Kondo ainā€™t got nothing on me, baby!

2 Likes

Iā€™m also someone who enjoys helping others sort/declutter, but Iā€™m not very good at doing it to my own stuff - too many opportunities to get distracted and start making!

Soā€¦ Road Trip? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That would in fact be an amazing crafty gathering, like travelling sorters going from stash to stash in one town over a week? Imagine what a group of us could do? Youā€™d kiss us goodbye in the tidiest home with perfectly sorted shelves and a casserole in the oven.
My town first, please!:smile:

3 Likes

I found the image via Google (ā€œtomato splatter fabricā€ being my keywords). The fabric is available on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/132600309946. :tomato:

@thanate I honestly invited my sister for a visit to force me to work on my space. Her house is immaculate.

Thank you for sharing. I wish I could pop over and help you make decisions. It seems to help if someone else is there.

4 Likes

Inspired by the fabric scraps destash, I made this wreath.

My wreath is done! I have created itā€™s own post here.

12 Likes

It does! Iā€™ve sometimes helped my sister out just by talking to her on the phone while she was sorting her stash.

4 Likes

@Annchen - yes! maybe itā€™s a distraction from the sheer scope of the project. Or it feels like someone is in the trenches with you.

4 Likes

turned out greatā€¦how much stash did it use up? :smiley:

2 Likes

Or sometimes just the reminder that youā€™re supposed to be working on that, not going off & doing something else. My high school friends & I used to do that kind of thing, but I havenā€™t had that kind of friend living nearby in a while.

Also reporting back that I got off the internet for a bit, finished three things off the mending pile (two of which were taking up a lot of space) and in the process greatly reduced the stack next to the sewing machine! :grin:

4 Likes

If you saw the photo I posted with my small scraps stash, most of that brown boxy bag was full and it used up a bunch of it.

1 Like

I actually started with fabric rope bowls, but they were swap items, so had to be hush hush.

I added little succulents because I used yarn stashā€¦and you canā€™t kill them!

12 Likes

Iā€™ve had a friend come over before and sit in a chair in my craft room door so I couldnā€™t get out and I was forced to organize. (At my invitation. Iā€™d have been pissed off if she decided to do that without me asking!)

6 Likes

So whatā€™s our working definition of ā€œstash?ā€ Is it everything currently in our possession or does it have to linger in craft storage purgatory for a certain amount of time before it becomes stash? :thinking: Also, does its original purpose have to be lost to the mists of time, or is it still stash if we bought X item with Y intention, waited {mumble mumble} years and then finally did it? For instance, Iā€™m currently making my son a set of pajamas that I promised him 2 years ago with the fabric that I bought at that time. Am I de-stashing?

(Iā€™m mostly being silly, but I do kinda wonderā€¦)

5 Likes