2020 DeStash-Along

For folks working on crocheting a yarn stash this might be a fun project: 2019 Sampler afghan I havent worked any of them up myself, yet, but it seemed like a good one to share. I might have shared it on the last site as well, I can’t remember. I just bumped into it on my Pinterest as I was procrastinating… again… :slight_smile:

I see the designer has a new CAL for 2020 as well, I’ll add that link, too: 2020 CAL

2 Likes

Looks like a good way to learn new stitches! I joined an afghan a month club last year and learned a lot of stitches to help me design my own scarves and hats…large projects don’t hold my interest long…I ended up making 3 out of the 12 afghans…but small squares?

Thanks for the link…I might consider it for all of those odd leftovers.

2 Likes

I took a box of things I was never going to use and went on pilgrimage to the local creative reuse store today! And I returned with a far smaller bag of stuff, most of which I have actual uses for, and a better idea of what else I can take them. :tada:

6 Likes

I really need to learn more about these “reuse store” things you and AIMR have mentioned. I have never heard of this outside of you two.

I am intrigued!

3 Likes

Mine is the Baltimore branch of SCRAP: Creative Reuse but there are definitely other places with similar missions.

2 Likes

I made reusable water balloons!

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/reusable-water-balloons/2232

8 Likes

We have one in the Triangle area of NC called the Durham Scrap Exchange. It’s huge and awesome. Richmond and Newport News VA also has their versions although on the smaller side.

You can find all kinds of things at mine. There’s the normal crafty stuff - fabric scraps, stamps, stencils, beads, etc. I like checking out their stationary section. I get tons of plain envelopes for greeting cards for super cheap. I have made my own envelopes but I can get a huge bundle of like 100 envelopes for 50 cents. They have a giant bin of random screws and nails and you can fill up a small bag for $5. a small bag will hold a LOT of nails and screws. I went and picked out all the rusty ones to use in assemblage art.
They sell surplus medical/chemistry supplies like test tubes and beakers.
I’ve gotten a giant bag of doll parts for $2.
They sell random scraps of wood. game pieces, stickers, etc.
I sew but don’t sew a ton so I don’t actually have a huge fabric stash. I go there and buy assorted scraps for a few dollars to add to my stash.

7 Likes

These are a wonderful idea!!

3 Likes

The one I went to in Lebanon, PA had tons of books for really cheap. Most of the time, I buy books and end up using one pattern! I could buy a book for 50 cents or a dollar, make what I wanted, and then give it back for someone else.

They also had took and sold a lot of odd “non-crafty” things like twine, bundles of balsa wood, etc. The saddest thing going there was the mountains and mountains of crocheted hats, scarves and afghans…pretty much they were free…

They also gave serious discounts to kids and the elderly because they wanted to encourage crafting. The place was a mess to some people, but it was a craftsters paradise if you were willing to browse at your leisure.

5 Likes

They have some books but they also have a sister thrift store in the same shopping center that sells clothes and other thrift store stuff.
I once got a giant bag of fleece scraps for $2 and used what I needed for a project then gave the rest to a cat rescue that makes catnips toys to sell.

My place has gotten better with their organization over time but I always feel like I need a shower after visiting.

4 Likes

I am exceedingly jealous of these crafty thrift store adventures.

4 Likes

I dunno, they sound like dangerous, dangerous places (for my wallet at least)

I finally managed to get a picture of one of my first projects of the year - a new pencil pouch using felt and a zipper and some vintage fabric from the stash I inherited from my great-aunt. I even had a charm in stash for a zipper pull!

This pouch replaced one I made with the same pattern about 6 years and have used until the zipper started to die. It’s a super simple pattern but really effective and sturdy.

16 Likes

What a fast way to get a usable pouch! The felt doesn’t ravel and makes for a sturdy backing for the quilting…I am constantly digging through my purse for a pen so this would be perfect.

I love the vintage fabric you used…it also has meaning for you!

1 Like

These things are super sturdy and can really take a beating being tossed in purses! My only recommendation is not using white felt for the interior - I did that for the one that died, and while it functioned fine it started to show ink spots after a while.

2 Likes

Great easy and sturdy pattern! I’m going to try it - thanks for sharing!

I can also pile on to the creative reuse centers being both amazing and dangerous. I was actually looking into volunteering at the closest one to me, but honestly the idea of being in there at least once a week and having a discount could severely impact the state of my stash. On the other hand, maybe it could help me see that there’s a basically never-ending supply of craft supplies in the world, so maybe I don’t need to own all of them? :wink:

7 Likes

I made two 6-7 yard lengths of fabric twine using xmas print stash! I will use these for gift wrapping and probably for handles on handmade gift bags next year. Woo!

15 Likes

How do you make fabric rope? I have a lot of fabric, and a lot of scrap pieces.

I saw the nutcracker Krampus and giggled. I ordered a felted one from Nodsu for Xmas for DH! It’s really awesome.

2 Likes

I used this tutorial. I found a few on Pinterest, this one worked for me.

8 Likes

That’s a really good idea! I had a habit of buying Christmas print fabric for quite a few years (of course so much more than I needed for the projects I had in mind), so I have a lot that I don’t really like for anything now.

2 Likes