Reusable water balloons

I made bunch of reusable water balloons last Christmas for some of the little kids in my family. This year I have made some more for family friends’ kids and as a birthday present for one of my son’s friends whose party is tomorrow. Gifted with a small beach bucket to carry your stash!

27 Likes

Can these actually be filled with water? What are they made of? I’m so curious now!

4 Likes

I’ve made these before, too, they’re a great gift! I like the colors you chose for these. I did a variegated red white and blue and didn’t love it as much as the solid colors. (The mom in the family loved the no balloon bits to clean up, too.)

3 Likes

I think they absorb a bunch of the water and swell up so when you throw them you still get soaked! Plus, no little rubber pieces littering the ground after, lol.

3 Likes

@gozer they are made from chenille so you can dunk them in water and get about three good throws before dunking again.

9 Likes

They are awesome! Love the idea!
I might have to make some for the not so little kids in my life :laughing:

2 Likes

Fun for all ages :grinning:

2 Likes

Fun! I’ve been contemplating making snowballs on a similar theory, for inside in winter & then outside with water when it gets hot out. Do you have pattern or yarn recommendations?

2 Likes

These are so cool! I’ve never heard of them before, but now I NEED them, haha! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

These are such a great idea! Yay for reusable things!!

2 Likes

No way! I was wondering how they worked. Don’t they hurt when you get hit with them? That is such a cool craft.

2 Likes

This is genius!

2 Likes

Now THIS is amazing, same thoughts as everybody else, don’t have to go pick up the balloon bits after the game! Not to mention how eco friendly they are, even if I have heard there are balloons that are eco friendly, but I haven’t seen them :stuck_out_tongue:
This is a really cute gift!

2 Likes

@thanate I was recommended Bernat Blanket as the best chenille for them, so that’s the only one I have tried. I looked around online at various patterns and kinda adjusted to what I thought was a good size. I went with:
8dc in a magic circle, start each row with 2ch (not counted as a dc) increase to 12dc next row (1dc, 2dc in next dc, repeat), decrease to 8dc next row (2dctogether, 1dc, repeat), decrease to 4dc next row (2dctogether, repeat), increase to 8sc next row (2sc in each dc). This last row is the tied off neck bit so when you finish off the work, tie a bit of yarn around to pinch it in.

@kittykill I can’t say they never hurt if you are really close and the person throwing is a bit enthusiastic, but generally no they don’t hurt. We do try an implement a no face rule just because eyes.

Thanks for all the kind words, I really do love the fact they don’t need cleaning up after and can just be chucked in the washing machine when needed.

8 Likes

Not to mention it saves little animals and birds from ingesting balloon. Hee hee… no face rule.

5 Likes

Omigosh how FUN this looks! Lots of plusses and no negative issues for the environment or critters.

1 Like

These are going on my ows list!

1 Like

We had a water balloon fight at school one year as a fundraiser and because the kid got water everywhere when they were pre-filling the balloons, we were told, “Never again!” I wonder how long it would take me to crochet up a whole bunch of these? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I definitely agree that the no animal choking plastic bits is a plus! We did buy balloons that were supposed to be biodegradable, but I still wondered how long that would take…

Thanks for sharing how you made them!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! :grin:

1 Like

So fun! Glad to hear they do work.

1 Like