2020 DeStash-Along

Yes! I get tired of it always being there and not really having a plan to use it up. I have 5 yds of polka dot fabric that I bought a long time ago when I was into 1950s dresses. I have since come to the understanding that my body doesn’t lend itself to the New Look silhouette, so I don’t know what to make out of it that won’t make me look like a clown. :clown_face: Ideas welcome!

Ugh, I also have a wreath form that I’m just not feelin’.

2 Likes

LOL :joy: Also guilty!

3 Likes

I wish I lived next door to you, I’d help you out! I’m really into polka dots this week.

I think fabric rope and fabric bowls sound like a great way to use them!

2 Likes

I had a bit of metallic crochet thread left from the days I used to make Christmas ornaments. I found a snowflake pattern but it was so full of mistakes that I ended up winging it badly…It will hang in the back of the tree, but at least I only have enough thread to use to tie up packages or something non-crafty…

And, in the spirit of honesty…I bought some more crochet thread thinking I would make a whole lot more of these, but, ugh…it was not fun and so I am taking it back and sticking to crocheting other things…

12 Likes

Ooh, that basket is so pretty! I love the colors :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My goals are

Finishing my old old projects, especially the ones that were nearly finished (I have a bad habit of starting new projects before finishing old ones). I have a herd of unicorns that just need paint and hair. :unicorn::unicorn::unicorn:

Use up some of my fabric. I have a few projects in mind, like a pillow,a wallet, and some towel dresses for example. Ooh and I recently learned how to make a kuspuk, I didn’t think I was ready to sew clothing from scratch, but my mom was really determined to make one. I ended up doing most of the sewing, but it turned out great! It was my first time using a surger, boy was it an expletive to figure out how to thread! :weary: so I hope to become more proficient with working with it.:grimacing:

My goal last year was to get more organized, so I hope to continue the progress. I put up a bunch of shelves, bought a bunch of storage bins, gathered up most of my craft supplies, but I still need a few baskets and bins to get things more orderly, and I haven’t quite gotten all my fabrics in one location.

I need to finish some woodworking and home repair projects that I either didn’t start or didn’t finish last year. Building stairs for the back door has been my biggest trepidation.

Edit. Oh and I forgot to include, I want to make fan art of some of my favorite movies and video games, lol :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Polka dot fabrics are great to use as the liner fabric for place mats and the like.

3 Likes

… or linings in purses and bags maybe…

2 Likes

That is very wise! Life is too short to spend precious creative time on stuff you don’t actually enjoy making. I need to get better at letting go of things I feel like I “should” make use of for some reason, but which aren’t fun.

I’m looking forward to seeing them! :unicorn:

5 Likes

@TheMistressT that krampus is amazing!

1 Like

Thanks, @Edel!

1 Like

Have you tried blocking it? I found when I did snowflakes they looked much better after blocking. I love the metallic crochet thread you used.

1 Like

I am going to do that but I doubt it will fix the unevenness and the mistakes…I know I was not into it because I generally would frog if I made a mistake…I just wanted it done and over with…not the way to be crafting…so lesson learned: do what I want and not just use up stash for stash sake…

4 Likes

Agreed! I feel like I keep relearning that one.

3 Likes

For folks working on crocheting a yarn stash this might be a fun project: 2019 Sampler afghan I havent worked any of them up myself, yet, but it seemed like a good one to share. I might have shared it on the last site as well, I can’t remember. I just bumped into it on my Pinterest as I was procrastinating… again… :slight_smile:

I see the designer has a new CAL for 2020 as well, I’ll add that link, too: 2020 CAL

2 Likes

Looks like a good way to learn new stitches! I joined an afghan a month club last year and learned a lot of stitches to help me design my own scarves and hats…large projects don’t hold my interest long…I ended up making 3 out of the 12 afghans…but small squares?

Thanks for the link…I might consider it for all of those odd leftovers.

2 Likes

I took a box of things I was never going to use and went on pilgrimage to the local creative reuse store today! And I returned with a far smaller bag of stuff, most of which I have actual uses for, and a better idea of what else I can take them. :tada:

6 Likes

I really need to learn more about these “reuse store” things you and AIMR have mentioned. I have never heard of this outside of you two.

I am intrigued!

3 Likes

Mine is the Baltimore branch of SCRAP: Creative Reuse but there are definitely other places with similar missions.

2 Likes

I made reusable water balloons!

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/reusable-water-balloons/2232

8 Likes