2020 DeStash-Along

Bahaha! An embargo! Classic!

1 Like

Perfectly normal to kiss your stash goodbye in 2020

15 Likes

I love seeing everyoneā€™s rooms, but I didnā€™t manage to take any pictures. With the kids still on vacation until (and including) Monday whil hubby and I are back to working and the younger generation not going to sleep before 11pm these days (Tuesday morning will be ever so interestingā€¦) today somehow just flew by. The craft room is actually the windowless half of a room that has the girls sleeping on the other side of a very thin wall (which has about one yard missing on top. We built that in 2018, but still havenā€™t put in the window panesā€¦ So maybe I should add that to the 50 projects too.)

1 Like

you are going to be so very busyā€¦join us in the 50 projects craftalongā€¦you surely have more than 100 projects on that wall alone!!! ha ha

I love this!

I so need to do this. Itā€™s a small house, but I could get a dedicated crafting area if I worked on it. Goals are organizing, so I can know what I have. :slight_smile: Then give away what I canā€™t use. Iā€™ve been staying out of the craft stores, but buying goodies from the thrift store. The only new supplies Iā€™m buying are glue and resin. Nooo way Iā€™m taking a picture of my mess! :grin: Itā€™s everywhere!

3 Likes

I have two main areas-- the craft room & the boxes of fabric storage in the loft, but the fabric has also developed into a peninsula thatā€™s eating the bedroom floor, so, uhā€¦ yeah. I organized my fabric complete with tagging and a database over a decade ago, but then never updated any of it, so it is far past time to redo that. After which perhaps Iā€™ll have a little more space to tackle the non-fabric thingsā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m working on finding a new good and comfy place for me and my hobbies now that we had a baby (15 months ago) and I had to move out of the second bedroom in order to make a space for her. (only have the two bedrooms and apparrrentttly kids tend toward their own kind of stashes haha!)

So, I have my beloved yarns, jewelry making supplies, wood crafts supplies, scrapbook paper (tho I do not scrapbook), needle felting supplies, many books, binders and patterns, and a fairly healthy and long lived fabric stash which is completely over the top as I do not know how to sew. I got rid of So. Much. fabric whe nI first emptied the room and so Iā€™m not starting completely from scratch. Butā€¦ eh, thereā€™s a lot for a house with no extra room and weirdly few closets. (Like, there are none on the main level. And none in the basement. Itā€™s weird.)

But, I finally signed up for a Learn Your Sewing Machine class (oh, did I forget to mention that I have a sewing machine and all the accessories and yet still donā€™t know how to sew? Yeah, thereā€™s that. And embarrassingly, Iā€™ve had it for several years now.) That is happening later this month.

My goal for 2020 is this: Be honest with myself about what I might use and rehome the things that just arenā€™t likely to be loved and used by me in order to give the limited real estate to things that will actually bring me some crafty joy. And then find good organization/display for what is to be kept. Oh, and make stuff. Obvs.

6 Likes

Those are good goals! And I am glad for you that youā€™re going to learn how to use that sewing machine!!

1 Like

This is my on going hell, I finally got to a point where no more roommates so my spare room is MY ART SUPPLIES ROOM
The kitchen is my messy jobs space so when the floors are replaced with that pergo style wood we agreed to leave my beat up old linoleum alone.
So I need to organize my art hoard,my kitchen messy place and my hoped for garage/workshop

4 Likes

This will be a fun thread to follow!!
Iā€™m in the opposite situation, Iā€™m in the process of building up my stash after great loss. Iā€™m trying to be rather careful with what I purchase, but having a stash is very good for creativity! I have purchased a few things that, so far, I havenā€™t put to real use. I also have to be careful because my new work space is the dining room which is wide open to the entrance and living room. Itā€™s a challenge. Challenge is good!!

3 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™ve been afraid of it for a long time and now I just have to try it. I think my biggest hold up was the worry that I would be terrible at it (or even hate it) and then the dream is over. And then I would have to address my fabric buying problem! haha (All those adorrrrrrable fat quarters!)

1 Like

This is a great idea!!

The best way to get comfy with machine sewing is to take a lesson. You learn things in an hour that would take you years on your own! And once you find some secret tricks, things start looking so much easier to figure out.

I canā€™t find a necessary item, I know I had it but itā€™s lost in the stash. I will need to go out to the expensive art shop in town this afternoon, wish me luck getting in & out with only that one thing in my basket!

4 Likes

Good luck! (Youā€™ll need it!)
What is the lost item?

Stamp carving medium, and I found it so yay!

2 Likes

Similar to linoleum or more like rubber?? And what stamp are you going to carve??

I am in! I have lots to destash. Especially since I need to make room for my Cricut that I am getting for my birthday. I am crocheting blankets and knitting socks to donate to dementia patients (my grandpa passed away from dementia last year), so that should use up all my yarn.

4 Likes

I have both and I canā€™t show yet because itā€™s for a swap, ssshhhh :lock:

2 Likes

Well, I didnā€™t even make it one week into the new year before I had to visit the craft store. I swear I used to have tons of iron on interfacing in my stash, but it was nowhere to be found. Thankfully it is one of the items Iā€™m allowed to replenish during my Craft Supply No Buy for the first half of the year. I also found a new way to use up some too-small-for-doll-clothes scraps, so that was exciting.

3 Likes