2021 DeStash-Along

Funny that you say that…I was just thinking that about 20 min ago.

I was working my stash down slowly but steadily and then, as stash and nature abhor a vacuum, a friend sent me her afghan WiP that she just doesnt enjoy learning how to do. So I have adopted 10 skeins, 2 crochet hooks and a packet of stitch markers.
:musical_note: and a Parrrrrtri-idge in a peaaaaar tree-eee-eeeeeeeeeee :musical_note:

8 Likes

I saw where you posted that earlier. Do you like the afghan WIP and will you enjoy doing it? At least it is a project and not random yarn to figure out what to do with.

1 Like

Oh, gosh, the random yarn is the worst kind of fun. I love looking through it but then I either have to marry it when there’s nothing I can think to do with it or check it for appropriate-to-donate status and then follow through.

I do like the pattern and yarn this time, actually, which is great. All neutral tones and a soft acrylic. It’s a block of the month, so I’ll probably learn new stitches which I’m looking forward to getting into. I’ll offer to give the finished item back to her unless that will just make her think about not following through, idk.

2 Likes

Finished a hat for myself. I still have so much of this yarn left, at least I love the color.

8 Likes

April Themes

Colorful Yarn by Jessica Nichols, on Flickr

Color: Yellow
Pattern: Floral
For: The garden or great outdoors.
Challenge: Spring Cleaning time. We’ve all got things in our stash that we’ve been meaning to use eventually, if only we could figure out what to do with that sweater’s worth of hot pink and purple yarn we’ve been saving since 1987 and have long since lost the pattern. Nothing says you have to keep it forever. You can take those oddities to the Goodwill, give them to a friend, or a local crafting group.

5 Likes

I have a major dilemma :thinking:

I want to make a bed runner, but in order to use the fabric I have got that would be awesome for this project, I need to buy more fabric as a contrast!! Nothing suitable in stash :frowning:

Which also means I have to wait for it to be delivered because the shops aren’t open, so my weekend of crafting this is going to have to be put on hold.

Oh well, at least I have happy mail to make (this also incurred purchases!)

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a couple of stash-busting projects done lately!

Home decor from items around the house.

3st Place Award Ribbons from brad stash and the recycling bin!

5 Likes

@TheMistressT I love the 3st Place awards. They’re just so bright and silly. Are those made from cans? If so, do you have to worry about sharp edges?

2 Likes

Thanks! I had so much fun figuring them out! They are made from cans and some also have bottle caps. They are surprisingly unsharp, but I think not suitable to really wear - partly because they are also surprisingly delicate. That’s why these ended up actually being magnets. :wink: :wink: I have ideas for mounting them on sturdier materials with softed edges…

Here’s their own (April Fool’s) topic.

2 Likes

The challenge this month was perfectly timed for me. I had two bins of yarn that was purchased for projects that got dismissed or redirected. It was weighing on me and too much energy was wasted trying to figure out how to use it up. I have a WIP/to do list long enough, so today, I just decided to list most of it on my local buy-nothing group. Someone claimed it all within a few minutes. I’ll drop it off to her tomorrow. Her mother is trying to keep busy while immobile from a recent surgery. I already feel lighter. And, I need that right now.

12 Likes

That is so generous of you! I know it feels good to know that someone will be using yarn that once spoke to you in a project…things change and it is alright to let them go…

You have done yourself and another a favor…wonderful!

4 Likes

A couple hours later, a lady from a local group that crochets/knits for charity asked if I had any left. I asked if they were interested in partial skeins. She said yes, so I destashed almost all of the rest of my acrylic yarn.

My grandma passed away today. When she was in good health, she was an avid and generous knitter. Giving away all that yarn feels like the absolute right thing to do this weekend.

9 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your grandma. What a kind and generous gift to share all that yarn - and it’s gone to people it will make a difference for. A perfect way to honour her.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry about your grandma, @tendstowardschaos and so glad for you that you found a lovely way to honor her life by donating her yarn to a good cause. I’m sure she’s proud of the generous and creative woman you are! And also so nice to offer up all of those full skeins to your buy-nothing group! Sometimes is feels so much better to give to someone who really wants what you have than to hold onto or even sell things.

3 Likes

Thanks, guys.

I have no idea if I’d ever get around to using that yarn. I bought it on sale for projects that I changed my mind about. It’s better that someone uses it than it sits in my house, taking up space (and causing me anxiety, trying to figure out what to do with it). I’m trying to remove the ‘clutter’ from my life, it’s a slow process, but, yes, it’s so much easier to give it away.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’ve been slowly working on stuff but woefully neglectful of posting it here. Sorry!
In the spirit of the give-it-away option of the challenge this month I wanted to share this link for @Magpie’s LC swap meet going on. Be warned, you may find your stash growing as much as diminishing if you go looking!
Happy crafting!

Edit to add: it’s a great starting place if you have a WiP that just needs that one little bit of something to get finished. People are happy to send a few yards of this, a couple of pieces of that, go digging for a matching button for you, share out hobby supplies that they no longer need and maybe you just want to try your hand at something nee but not break the bank before you know you enjoy it, and the like.
It’s like being in a big craft room and asking the next table over if they have a green marker cuz yours just ran out and you just need to finish inking in that last little bit of your Happy Mail card.
:partying_face:

2 Likes

I made a box card, envelope, and 2 gift packages all from stash! WOO!

10 Likes

How great that you had so many butterfly themed things in your stash!

2 Likes