2022 Mend and maintain-along

LOLOLOL…gotta love the excitement, right?! My kids change their mind at least three times, so I am always starting last minute!!

4 Likes

Maybe I should have made the September or October challenge about Halloween… I forget it’s such a big deal!

I have absolutely not made a plan for mending this month… All my planning mojo is spent at work at the moment.

But I did start cutting up old undies for rags today.

4 Likes

I accomplished a “big” mend today! With help from TheMisterT. Our woodshed floor needed some shoring up underneath and last week I cut through the floor (a requirement of getting under there) and today we jacked up some of the stringers and pounded some pier blocks under them. Then I reattached the floor boards so we can start loading firewood for this winter tomorrow. WOO!

11 Likes

Ya, girl. Gittin’ it done!

2 Likes

Teeny fix… the bottom came unglued

Also… our all in one shower tower unit gave up the ghost so husband has bodged together a working shower from parts. No pictures but my bathroom is a disaster

5 Likes

Oh, looky here! A new site-wide challenge! Maybe this could inspire a new approach to a piece on our mending piles!

4 Likes

I mended a lamp for a friend the other day. Then decided to buy it from her to give to TheMisterT for xmas.

5 Likes

Careful, your clown yard skelly might get jealous and come a’calling. :skull::clown_face::scream:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Uh-oh. They’re both hanging out in the same closet [skeletons in my closet joke here] right now! Maybe they’ll become fast friends!

7 Likes

I watched a video about historical fashion, and more specifically historical maternity fashion. And… for long periods of time there just weren’t any. Womens clothing could just accomodate changes in shape, because it wasn’t practical or affordable to have separate sets of clothes for being pregnant.

I think that’s really interesting from a sustainability perspective. I mean, with a menstrual cycle the body changes shape even without pregnancy, so why not have shape changing clothes in the wardrobe too?

Too bad I’ve never made bigger garments… Because I doubt fast fashion companies would like to design something that helps me buy less clothes.

5 Likes

Thats something that I hadn’t ever thought about either. I have done some genealogy (Genealogy thread here!) and many of my ancestors were having children for 20 years, so 9 months pregnant, probably a reasonable period breastfeeding, then pregnant again. So their body would have been constantly changing.

2 Likes

If you look at historical clothing, they’re usually basically square garments with a belt or an apron around it to add some shape. Most women would make their own without the luxury of pre-printed patterns so the patterns would have to be quite simple.

I suppose I already have shape shifting clothing - I’ve never been pregnant but my menstrual cycle and health issues cause me to go up and down in weight and shape all the time. I think most of my clothing can accommodate weight gain and loss, maybe 5 kgs each way. I usually wear pretty simple A-line dresses, skirts with a stretchy waist, or fairly loose jeans and a t-shirt or sweater. I don’t like tight clothing. I usually gain and lose weight on my thighs and the lower part of my stomach, so from the waist up I don’t change much. No one ever really notices if I lose or gain weight.

2 Likes

I remember when they sold stretchy panels for skirts and pants that could be inserted into garments and then removed later. I agree…the fashion industry is not interested in flexible clothing. When I was in college, I had a huge black t-shirt dress that I could wear in hundreds of ways. I would layer wrap skirts over it, belt it, wear pants under it, throw on a shirt, etc. I wore it until it was almost in rags!

I think such a garment is perfect for all sorts of shapes and changes in the body.

2 Likes

I have often wondered (and then not looked into it at all) when it was that trousers pattern pieces started having the shape we are familiar with now, because it seems like they first looked more like a child’s drawing of pants with front and back being one piece and pretty much the same. I feel like somewhat recently I watched a movie or TV show that was either historical or fantasy where it seems like some trousers were made to look more like this and I was impressed with what I interpreted as accuracy.

2 Likes

I washed a down pillow that had a hole in it. Or maybe it ripped in the wash. At any rate 1/10, do not recommend!

It’s already been downgraded from bed pillow to cat pillow so I sewed it together and stuffed it in a worn pillowcase. No one will see my wonky seam, and the cats will not care. Next time it gets grimy we’ll just toss it I think.

5 Likes

Once I lived in a place that had fleas from every neighbour having at least 2 pets. We had to hot launder everything while the place was fumigated so I put the very expensive buckwheat pillows in the dryer. Of course a zipper came open and one machine at the laundromat was filled with buckwheat husks! Embarrassing & wasteful to say the least.
I would be equally disappointed to find a machine full of feathers I’m sure!

5 Likes

I started donating my comforters and bedspreads to a local pet shelter. Volunteers but them into manageable sizes to make beds for the animals. They have commercial washers as well. I’ve had feathers and buckwheat almost ruin my washers! I do have coverslips now on my down pillows, so I just wash the covers. I fluff the feathers in the dryer with a rag soaked in fabric softner. It just makes them smell better, but I am sure somewhere along the way, they need to be thrown out.

1 Like

Our feather pillows are feeling sort of crushed. I think they only last a year at most, to be honest. A duvet is different since it’s only laying on top of the bed. Pillows get squished & flattened, the feathers broken up. I fluff ours every day but they flatten as soon as they are layed on.

1 Like

Yeah, they are organic so you have to expect them to start breaking down…I had a feather mattress cover that I loved but when it got so flat, it was way too expensive to replace. I wish I had the forethought to save some of the feathers, but back then, I was not in that space so it got tossed.

1 Like

they usually will take old sheets and towels too for rags, etc.

2 Likes