2022 Mend and maintain-along

When wearing the cosy and newly mended fingerless mittens I discovered a hole in the other one. Mended it. Discovered a second hole while weaving the ends in. Mended it.

Guess what? Found a third one :laughing: I ran out of my pre cut yarn after the third mend, so when I found a fourth one I saved it for today. The mends are getting prettier and prettier, so there’s that!

8 Likes

That is exactly how the beauty of sashiko started…all those mends turned out so pretty together. I sometimes wanted to make holes on purpose in my jeans just so I could mend them! lol

You need to show off your mends when you are done!

4 Likes

Agreed!

They’re not very visible:

There are two in the palm of the hand, and two on the right edge. I managed to sew them closed remaking the stitches as I went. The first one was a bit trickier since more fabric was missing. These were fairly easy in comparison.

Maybe I can face the chicken top soon… It’s been in the mending pile for a while. There are two holes in one of the sleeves. The problem with thin, comfy fabric…

4 Likes

My sweater challenge:

I can’t work on it until after the weekend, but now it’s all I can think about, naturally. Lol

6 Likes

I haven’t revisited the sweater yet, but I’m trying out a new “intention” with my overfull mending pile. Having to move it for Thanksgiving stirred up more than just dust bunnies. I want to get my act together better over here, so for December (but starting yesterday for good measure) I am taking the item on top of the pile daily and processing it that day. Either mend it or move it out. No more dithering.
Yesterday I stitched up a knit hat for my husband and today is to be a torn throw pillow I rather like.

Hopefully by January 1 my pile will be no more. We’ll see.
November 30- warm up mend: hat
December 1: pillow

imperfect but done.
Day 2: button on a shirt

(turned into 3 buttons as they all started falling off as I worked but… done!)
Day 3: darn a sock
Done
Day 4: Rudolph Stuffie

Done (plus a loose seam on an antler)
Day 5: seam on an old lightweight dressbarn sweater

Autumn pillow

Day 6: seam on a prairie bonnet

It needs its elastic replaced, too, but I’m considering it done both because I do not have any elastic and also because it is a play dress-up hat. She can use it without it getting more damaged now and I’m calling that done. :heavy_check_mark:
Also: drawstring bag (my mother made to send with me to Girl Scout sleep away camp in 1987)

Not pretty, but the draw string now draws. So :heavy_check_mark:
Day 7, an easy one:
Moved two pairs of kidlet leggings to the fabric pile… she grew out of them before I got to them again! I might be able to use them for future legging repairs.
Day 8-14:
Missed a few days in here with silly adulting stuff taking up head-space and time. But managed to whittle out a couple of things I am just not going to mend and moved them to the rag box for ickier mess needs.
Day 15: That sweater is staring me down. I looked it over again but I can’t figure out how I want to proceed. So I shoved it aside and took a dress-up princess arm band thing from the pile that’s really just junk and tossed it back in the costume box. She doesn’t care that it’s missing a flower, and I need to get this momentum back.
Day 16-26: no mending, just Christmas prep
Day 27: fixed elephant nose:

Day 28-30: nothing of note
Day 31: Happy New Year!

Total mends: 13

5 Likes

I like your mending pile challenge @AntBee I usually don’t do well with keeping up ”one thing a day” type challenges, but a couple days here and there of mending or getting rid of is better than none at all.

3 Likes

Oh oh, perfect, there is a christmas decoration my grandmother made that I have been meaning to clean & repair! Anyone have a lead on truly vintage Christmas sew-on sequins?

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s my thinking, too. December is such a busy month, there will likely be days where I dont get one done, but I figured if it was a little game for me to try then at least more days than not would see some mending happen and that is way more than was happening before- so a win either way!

2 Likes

I hear ya on the mending pile. Mine is staring at me from the dining room (not used for dining :joy:) table as I type. I get held up on my completion of it by the ones that require more than some quick stitching. I think, “ugh I don’t have time for this today”, and then put it back on the pile.

2 Likes

Try the use it or lose it topic!

By vintage, do you mean the smaller ones? I think I have some.

So far I have mended 8 things from the pile and “processed” another by moving it to the laundry first. :slight_smile:
This daily challenge is definitely helping me to just get it done.

8 Likes

You are so inspiring! I have zero comfy pants to change into when I get home, all the swants I made are holey. The mending pile is right beside the bed, I just ignore that sucker every day! I gotta fix some stuff, my laziness is keeping my legs from comfy after-work relaxation. The injustice of the thing, ugh.

6 Likes

Where are the holes, can you mend them while wearing them? lol

I double dog dare ya!

1 Like

Literally everywhere. Yoga’s been combined with everything else, why not sewing? Lol

4 Likes

Haha! I was hoping one had just like a knee or something. Figured you’d at least have one then.

1 Like

Very inspiring!

I let the mending pile sap so much energy from me with feeling twinges of guilt for not repairing them! Most of the mends are simple…

My game will be…mend a thing, start a new project. That would motivate me…

I shortened the sleeves of many of my PJ tops so now I need to take in the waists of the bottoms or at least put in a drawstring or tighter elastic. I’ll start there and aim to get three pairs done by the weekend!

5 Likes

The little tree skirt for the Irreverent Tree has had failing fasteners since shortly after I cobbled them together! That gold elastic was a PITA!

KrampusTreeSkirt01

Then just this week I received a suprise box of notions from my cousin that came with these fancy hook and eyes which I immediately put to use mending the skirt. WOOT!

FixBlackTreeSkirt03

9 Likes

Perfect! Huzzah surprise notions!

1 Like

How’s the malasana mending pose going? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: