2023 DeStash-Along

The baskets will be donated too. I will save a favorite or two. I am working on the last one, I don’t think I have enough yarn left for another…at least yarn that would make a halfway decent color mix. My hands have been protesting all the yard work and cement patching so the last one may wait until fall.

3 Likes

I’ve been putting together a scrappy quilt top. It has been a puzzling process. I make most the blocks from leftover scraps, triangular pieces, bits and bobs, plus BOMs. None were matching sizes and some were odd sizes. So fitting it all together has been interesting.
But I’m about 3/4 done and I’ve made a few custom blocks to fill spaces. It’s really too much eye candy for me, but it will be donated and someone will love it.
Funny how my scrap stsh isn’t that much smaller.

Now my yarn stash has been reduced by a bin and more than a half by making baskets. I figure if I need to start knitting or crocheting things again I can buy new and buy what I want rather than feel obligated to use stash.

3 Likes

I have spreadsheets for my fabric stash and sticker hoard. The fabric includes a quick name, dominant color/season, location, weight, and a general size (FQ, cut, yardage, upcycled, etc.) To be honest I don’t do much month-to-month to maintain the fabric spreadsheet, I usually just keep a running list of my projects and their weight so I can calculate how much fabric I use in a month. The spreadsheet was a way to get a birds eye view of the stash to identify problem areas and low-hanging destash fruit, the monthly totals are the motivation to actually use what I have.

Speaking of stats, I finally ran my May numbers! I sewed 20 tiny dresses, which only came out to .8 yards of fabric (emphasis on the tiny, right?). Of that .8 yards I completely used up 3 fabrics, so that’s something. I also used up 5 sticker sheets, a vinyl sticker, and a 45 piece sticker flake box that I’d had for ages. Also a roll of washi tape, two sheets of scrapbook paper and two of cardstock, a bookcloth scrap, and one 2ml ink sample and two cartridges for my fountain pens.

I took a box of supplies to our creative reuse store and only walked out with four sheets of scrapbook paper, but since I also donated some paper I think that’s a wash. I will say, having a craft supply donation box has made cleaning my craft room much easier. Can’t figure out where to store something and don’t have an immediate idea to use it for? In the box it goes!

6 Likes

Your crocheted baskets are marvellous!! and someone will adore the scrappy quilt - such a clever job putting all that together!

2 Likes

Thanks for that info! A donation box is a great idea- we have one for clothing already, why didnt I think of this?

1 Like

Still on my bookbinding kick. Starting a new hobby (or rather reviving an old hobby) isn’t the best way to keep a craft-supply no buy going, but so far I’ve been able to do everything from stash, and my self-imposed rules are flexible enough that I can buy some new things once I run out of my current pile of bookcloth scraps.

So, first up, a second copy of the book I made previously:
IMG_4964 (2) size

And another of the same size using the same Craftsman themed decorative paper pack:

IMG_4966 (2) size

Everything is quarter US letter size, and that’s 4 more sheets of card stock (for end papers) and two sheets of decorative paper down.

15 Likes

That blue one- be still my heart!

1 Like

I’m really proud of how that cover turned out. Too bad the textblock’s a little crooked on the inside. shrug

… I may also have photographed it upside down. Oh well, still pretty!

3 Likes

They’re both beautiful!

These are just gorgeous!

I forgot to share these earlier - I’ve been working on some bigger projects lately & they’re using a bunch of supplies, but not very quickly. :grin:

I used up the rest of my cotton yarn making coasters & a potholder:

& made a circle doily thing with some crochet thread (only a yard or 2 left!):

I also made some bookmarks & used some paper that was in my stash for years!

& made a baby blanket for my cousin using almost a whole ball of Lion Brand Pound of Love yarn!

13 Likes

Love the blanket! Can you share the pattern or stitch?

1 Like

Thanks! It’s just a corner-to-corner (C2C) blanket. I use the 5:2 method like this tutorial mentions. It’s around 30" x 36" & has a single crochet border.

2 Likes

It has a really nice texture to it.

2 Likes

Yes–it really does! I am trying to learn more crochet stitches…I really loved the moss stitch you used and am making another project using it.

3 Likes

Been a while since I did an update:

I knitted a mesh style top with a bunch of scrap yarn I dyed black. Hilariously I thought they were all pretty close in tone but in bright light you can tell when I went from one yarn to another. But I don’t care - I wore it to work today and no one noticed or at least didn’t comment on that. I thought being so hole-y it’d be a bit cooler than it ended up being - it’s all mostly wool yarns. I think I’ll do something similar again with an actually seasonally appropriate yarn. This will be good for a transitional sweater or something on a cool summer day.

I also finished a shawl that used up the last of my fingering weight scraps!! I am shocked that I got to the point where I have none left. It’s pretty rad. And will take no time to replace lol.

Also finished another shawl that used up a skein and a half from stash…and half of a new skein I had to buy to finish it (hah). I still need to get better pictures, as I added tassels that aren’t pictured here.

12 Likes

Way to go on the scrap-busting, @sheepBlue! All of your knits are lovely!

I had some I Love This Cotton in my stash - I was contemplating an afghan, wanted to try a few different yarns first. I managed to use up about 140g of the two skeins making two of these poufs. I did not care for how much fuzz came off this yarn as I stitched, but I’ll probably use up the rest of the yarn making a third.

6 Likes

Maybe if you really wanted to, would you be able to re-dye it all one color? I’m not sure about doing that after the fact. It’s looks lovely, though. Pair it with a hot pink skirt!

I’m happy to report a finished object all from stash! Finally!

10 Likes

Your pup looks adorable in her new threads!

1 Like