2024 DeStash Along

lol I think that would be true for a lot of online classes but I want to take an in person class at the local arts center and will need things like specific colors of acrylics, canvas panels/surfaces, etc.

1 Like

Make that 4 books and some yarn yesterday! That makes 5 books this week. I’m really happy with how fast everything is selling (within a few hours) so that’s making me feel like it’s worth the effort. Since I’ll be out of town next week I’m planning to wait until after I get back to list anything else.

I’m feeling pretty pleased with my progress so far this year even though I still have a long way to go. This thread has been motivating.

8 Likes

I am going to have to seriously destash for our big move. The transport goes by weight and fabrics are heavy…I have four months to keep what I really love and WANT to make, not HAVE to make…

@jemimah … I hope to have my new room look as beautiful and functional as yours!

10 Likes

Oh, I do not envy you the next few months! Moving is so much work and destashing will likely double it, at the least!

5 Likes

Thank you my friend! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve been doing hours of sewing since I cleared it out, and I enjoy being in the room now, so much.

I know the move is going to be a lot of work for you, (wish I could come visit and give you a hand!) - but I’m hoping you get a huge boost to your energy and peace from having a space that is truly focussed on projects you love and enjoy :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I am embarking on a more focused destash-by-making of my fabric stash over the next few-to-several weeks! I started with a big hot pad that will live on our mudroom chest freezer today. The most satisfying part is the franken-Insulbrite. I used 30% of the Insulbrite scraps!

FreezerTopTrivet02

And only had whisps of cutoff pieces when I squared it up.

YEY!

11 Likes

Nice scrap usage, I like “franken-insulbrite” :laughing:
I find projects like this simultaneously act as a relief to use up something finally, and confirmation to keep every little bit of something for ‘someday’, haha.

8 Likes

Thank!

I feel seen. :wink:

8 Likes

Oh that is so true! I absolutely needed a tiny scrap of bias binding yesterday, that I probably “should have” thrown out in my clear out It is really hard to get that balance right!!

6 Likes

A short piece of 1" elastic that I “should have” thrown out was exactly what I needed for this project. All the pieces of Insulbrite that I frankened together might’ve been tossed by a tidier person, too. :wink:

FreezerTopTrivet02 FreezerTopTrivet04

This one has franken batting that took care of about 1/3 of the batting scraps! And about half of a short piece of double fold bias tape that was probably too short to keep.

BurnerGratePad03

Both projects have already been put to their designated uses and are all from stash. WOO!

6 Likes

Nice! I’d seen that project but hadn’t noticed the little piece of elastic.

I often wish I was a tidier person, until I find that one little thing that I only need a little bit of, and then I’m glad I’m not really that tidy :wink:

I finished sewing a sweater today and instead of putting the scraps back into the stash bin, I cut out another pattern! It’s a short skirt and I adapted the pattern a little bit to make it fit. I suppose avoiding fabric to become stash also counts as destashing! :laughing:

I also started making some cards for Easter, and that’s all from stash too.

6 Likes

It’s not much, but here’s my “half an hour better” project for the week: organizing my stationery cart.

I’ll still need to go back and weed at some point - this was mostly about tidying and putting loose items back where they belong.

16 Likes

Actually I’m pretty impressed with the state of that cart. I’ve never been able to successfully utilize one of those. I love the look of them & they seem so useful but omg the mess I make.

3 Likes

Absolutely there are “points” for not letting materials become stash!

2 Likes

I recently moved mine to the attic. Maybe when I’m not sharing a craft space with little ones I’ll bring it down and try again.

1 Like

The only reason I’ve managed to get the cart to work for me is a myriad of little boxes on the top two trays so I can store things vertically and flip through them at will.

5 Likes

My husband uses my cart for his ethnic cooking spices and sauces. He loves that he can wheel the whole cart over to the wok while he is cooking and grab the various spices, oils, and whatever.

He uses the other two trays for ingredients like dried mushrooms, noodles, packets…I am so glad someone in our family is less messy than me!

4 Likes

I’m just packing up a swap package and I think most of it was from stash, except one fat quarter and one zipper. So that’s pretty good for me.

I do need to tackle some of the WIPs. When I sorted out the sewing room, I put all the WIPs in one place. It was a bit scary to see how many there are!!

4 Likes

I need to acknowledge my “apocalypse keeps.” It’s not at hoarding levels so i can’t call it the more dramatic “apocalypse hoarding” but they are definitely contributing to my house’s quantity of stuff. Specifically right now I’m tackling the knitting/crochet reference and pattern books that I keep not- donating because “this would be really helpful if we didn’t have the internet.”
When in the world might I be in such a predicament and if I should find myself in a walking dead situation am I really going to be knitting the zombies some socks??

I blame the importance a set of encyclopedias had during my formative years.

8 Likes

I am struggling as I am packing with the same thing…I also want to keep all the patterns I printed out in case I don’t have access on my internet sites, etc.

The truth is, I rarely make most things twice…I am going to let myself have 10 patterns of things I really love to knit and crochet…if we lose the internet, yeah…there are other things to deal with than knitting!!!

7 Likes