2024 DeStash Along

Ours definitely won for packing in as much as it could hold so we wouldn’t have to pay extra for overage…this was the last time we moved…and we will need to do the same this move!

9 Likes

That’s a big skip! Hope it all goes smoothly doing it again this time - you are a master of moving!!

2 Likes

We got the biggest skip available when we demolished some walls as part of our renovations years ago. I stacked all the bricks in flat, so none of the air gaps they would probably calculate. The front wheels of the truck lifted up when they came to pick it up. I was proud of that skip.

9 Likes

Holy moly - that’s impressive! :smile:

2 Likes

I thought about it! But just black would go with more things in my closet. I’ve been looking at patterns for shrugs - they use less yarn and I could use one to wear with sleeveless dresses. :slight_smile:

(I also have a crochet bag that needs a lining. I’ve been putting it off for months :laughing:)

2 Likes

A shrug is a great idea. I did this one for my daughter but it’s easy enough to size to an adult.

2 Likes

April Themes
Imgur
Color: Blue
Pattern: tone-on-tone
For: Just for Fun
Challenge1: Use that special item that you have been saving for the perfect project
Challenge 2: Start the month with a check-in on your goals. How did you do in the first quarter? Set some intentions for the next quarter.

10 Likes

Yesterday we visited family and the hostess has had a rough time with Arthritis so she had bagged up a bunch of yarn for me to take. I sat with it last night to get any ideas and really, it isnt for me, so I have already found a new home for it and it will be dropped off on Friday. I feel good about not keeping it.

9 Likes

I finally ran my Destash numbers for the 1st quarter. I haven’t been crafting much, but I sewed 23 doll dresses of various sizes, plus three other projects and used up 1.86 yards of fabric (finishing off 5 prints). My journaling habits have also changed so my stationery consumption has shifted but I completed 7 sheets of stickers, 5 pen cartridges, an ink sample, a roll of washi tape, and 5 sheets of card stock/scrapbook paper. More acquisitions & stash enhancement than I wanted (mostly on the paper and pen front) so I’m going to try for a no-buy for this quarter. Other than thread - I’m running out of workhorse white.

9 Likes

So while I have been working through various projects using my stash, I have jump started my destashing quite a bit by…donating yarn and a few others things to thrift stores. I’d love to use all of my yarn, but there were several balls that I just knew I wasn’t going to use. Either I had tried in the past and didn’t like the look, it was too difficult to work with, or I was just so tired of looking at it. I feel a lot lighter now that the stuff I wasn’t really “finding joy” in is gone, but it also served to highlight just how much I truly have. I’m looking forward to destashing the rest and finding room for the things that truly fit into my collection :slight_smile:

10 Likes

So, I have made zero progress toward my goals, lol. I haven’t made a single fabric gift bag or placemat since the start of the year. :see_no_evil:

I have been digging into my 2.5" squares for other projects…I made a few “fails” lately with stash and a couple successes, but since they are for a swap or swap-adjacent, I will share when it’s spoiler-safe.

I think my goal for Q2 is to “follow the inspiration.” Instead of saying I have to work on x, y, and z, I’ll play with my stash in whatever way I’m inspired to. For example, I recently made this quilted piece…with no plan/idea what I’m going to do with it:

I’m currently making strips of black and white fabric for use in a future, yet unknown project:

I also organized my paper stash for quicker/easier inspiration harnessing:

I made a quick card for a friend’s birthday recently and it was so nice to have everything easily accessible.

12 Likes

I thought I hadn’t done much in Q1 but actually I finished two large pieces of cross stitch (a sampler and a picture of a sewing machine, that I’ll probably put up in my room somewhere) a crocheted lap blanket and two pairs of socks. So that’s quite a lot of yarn used up. I also sewed a sweater and I had some scraps of fabric, and instead of putting those into my stash, I cut a skirt from them. It’s a simple short skirt and I had to be creative to get all the pattern pieces out of the fabric. It’s not completely finished yet, but when it is, I’ll have used up every little bit of that fabric and nothing has ended up in stash.

I’m now working on the Prairie Schooler swap and so far all thread and fabric is from stash.

7 Likes

I finished a pair of semi-matching shirts for me and hubster, entirely from stash (pictures to come). The fronts and collars are both the same fabric, but the rest of each shirt is a different coordinating fabric. I had to cut really carefully, and piece a bit because there wasn’t quite enough of two of the three fabrics.

I’ve bagged the scraps for my quilting neighbor, since I’ve decided not to keep little bits anymore. I recently gave her all my scraps and most of my fat quarters. I have so much more storage for the fabric I want to use!

About 30 more garments, and I could rationalize buying more fabric…

8 Likes

I finally threw out all those little bits of yarn…not enough to do even the scrappiest of knitting projects. I was saving them for embellishments for things like prayer flags, fabric journal pages, etc. when I realized, I could just cut a piece from my stash and not even know it was missing. It was a garbage bag full. I also took almost all of the novelty yarns out of my stash and cut off a few yards and wrapped them on cardboard. The rest is going to the senior center where they have a large crafting room where others can use it as they see fit.

I am determined not to pack anything without asking myself why I haven’t used “X” that I have saved all this time…probably like you, @Abbeeroad , I don’t want to make something just because I have “X”…

Fabrics are tough for me to get rid of…I threw out some small pieces, changed my mind and got them out of the trash…I have given myself a month to use them or else lose them…

I do have three empty large plastic bins from destashing my papers. I will probably be able to clear out one more bin.

9 Likes

I also threw out some little bits of yarn! I need to keep telling myself that just because I /might/ be able to use something doesn’t mean I need to keep it. That way madness (and my grandfather’s collection of coffee cans full of bent nails) lies.

6 Likes

I finished a lap quilt and have two others in progress, all from scraps. One is from donated
Floral scraps that I immediately turned into a quilt .
Our church is having an art show for Earth Day and I’m working in a collage fabric scrap mini quilt. I’m in the tricky finishing bits of my concept and gope to finish by the deadline. They keep asking for pictures! LOL like I am not frantically working on it. But here is the top.

I’m knitting mittens and crocheting cat balls from stash and some purchased.
But now the garden calls me…

14 Likes

That’s gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have started turning a vintage tablecloth that belonged to TheMisterT’s grandmother (given to me by his aunt) into bags for each of we women in the family: my MIL and her sister (that aunt), my SIL and our 2 nieces, and one for me. Guess what - it’s mostly blue! YEY for getting in on one of the April Themes! That said, my stash of interfacing isn’t going to cut it. Do’h! But I think I might have just about everything else. I need to pop out to the stash storage to hunt for a coordinating accent color. Wish me luck!

9 Likes

Your quilted piece and card are so pretty @Abbeeroad!

That fabric collage is gorgous @marionberries, can’t wait to see a pic of the finished piece!

I made a swap thing for @Abbeeroad completely from stash. and a few more stash busting projects lined up. I’m going to visit family soon, so I’m a bit behind on tracking goals and pictures etc., but I’m very inspired by everyone posting in this thread :smile:

5 Likes

I did a blue project for the IYP! All from stash! I’ll post when my partner receives it!

4 Likes