2024 DeStash Along

10 years ago my DW said “we need a real guest room”. The room she was talking about was my craft room with a very ugly closet, an even uglier rug, and painted pink with turquoise trim. There wasna futon that was very seldom seen under craft stuff. Craft items were stored in at least 4 places around our rather small house.
We had a room downstairs that was to become the library/office but was really a box room with unfinished shelves. And one wall was unfinished after a removal of another very ugly closet. 1950s houses just didn’t believe in closets or imagine how much stuff future generations would accumulate.
After a lot of clearing, wall repair, and painting. I filled it with all the craft paraphernalia from around the house.
Then we tore the closet out of the new guest room, leveled the floorn and added new flooring. And it is currently the kitten foster room.
Then 4 years ago rearranged the craftroom so we could cut a door way to our new enclosed porch. And I need to do a thorough destash as the room is bursting
Now I want to redo the kitchen. How the heck did anyone cook for a family with so little kitchen space? Creating a Thanksgiving dinner becomes a ballet of constantly moving plates and pans.
This is a clean version
Processing: Craft Room NW corner.jpg…
Processing: Craft Room NE corner.jpg…
Processing: Craft Room SW corner.jpg…

7 Likes

I had a 1940 house and the closets were not only small, but dumb. Why so deep?

I do often think about kitchens of yore when people on home improvement shows are freaking out about kitchens with 2-3x as much counter space and storage as a typical suburban 40s -60s house. Like, people raised whole, pre-birth-control families in that kitchen, chill. That said, I fantasize about it and plan/plot more storage in all the spaces all the dang time.

6 Likes

Pulled another couple bags of stuff out and have a giant stack of books to also add to the pile. I think I’m getting pretty close to where I want to get down to for craft supplies so the next step will be reorganizing to make better use of the space. The creative reuse center only accepts donations on certain days so I’m just prepping one big donation trip.

Next I need to go through all the non-craft stuff in the house. I also need to pare down my weaving supplies. It’s going to be a busy year.

6 Likes

I am giving a Spirit Doll class today. This is why I have a hard time destashing…

14 Likes

Oh! That would be so much fun. Color me jealous!

Oh gosh, what a great class! Your supplies look so enticing.

1 Like

This would be a really cool class to do as an LC Class sometime, if you’re ever up for it.

5 Likes

Oooh. That would be lots of fun!

1 Like

That would be awesome!

After working on it steadily over the last couple of weeks (in between quite a few art and swap projects), I finished organising my sewing/textile room today!

I had the following goals:
• clear working space
• only sewing and textiles stuff in the room (sewing supplies, fabric, yarn and knitting supplies, embroidery stuff)
• an easily accessible home for everything
• nothing hiding under table, keep stacking to a minimum
• try not to overfill drawers and shelves

The bottom one and a half shelves in the cupboard are yarn bins and WIPs. Sewing WIPs, threads and frequently used tools are in the easiest access shelves. All the fabric is in the large chest of drawers, sorted into categories. The other drawers contain various patterns, in categories (dressmaking, embroidery, quilting, etc.)

The two drawers of quilting fabrics are FULL, so that is a good incentive not to buy any more! (Pretty FQs are a temptation for me lol).

I guess this counts as Challenge 2 for February :grinning:

I’m feeling quite pleased with myself that I actually kept persevering with this room until I finished it, even going through and getting rid of some really old stuff, and decorating with pictures and treasures from LC friends.

I sewed a little swap thing just after I finished, and it was so nice having all that space!

Thanks to all of you for inspiring me!

20 Likes

Same here!

Your space looks absolutely transformed! Love all the art you have displayed and all the room for more!

5 Likes

Gorgeous & so inviting! Wonderful work. I like the “file don’t stack” method of fabric storage, and the rainbow sorting, of course.
Curious about the fabric boxes in the closet, those look nice & sturdy.
And your galah bird, aww :heartpulse:
I particularly like the little clear scrap containers. I would find that so inspiring.

4 Likes

It looks so functional and relaxing! I can see why you want to spend time in there now. And I see plenty of wall space for more artwork :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. Great job!

1 Like

Impressive!

1 Like

What a lovely room for getting creative!

1 Like

WHOA! What an accomplishment! Just WOWZERS! I hope you find it easy to walk in there to create at a moment’s notice for as long as you’re able at that time!

1 Like

This would be such a fun class! And I have a similar struggle to destash - a lot of my creating is possible (successful?) because of my “abundant” stash.

1 Like

Spirit doll class results. Take a look. It was an amazing day. These women were so engaged and intentional it was an amazing experience to facilitate this class.
@TheMistressT It would take some though to do this as a LC class remotely. I will think on it.

3 Likes

It looks amazing!

1 Like