Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I am in love with the winged little guy! Your pieces evoke a sense of other-worldliness…and a nice world at that!

@photojenn …we must have been on similar wavelengths…my looks very much like yours…I am just going to find some saying and then I will post the “twin”

@Abbeeroad just adding those black leaves and flowers really changed the feel of this project…I love how you seem to be combining techniques from our other zooms so to me, each one of yours is very different and not at all the same old thing

@Magpie You know how to have the best fun…I wish I was there and then we could all go get a coffee looking like this was just part of our everyday life…lol…paint is the new make-up…lol

@edel…I am so glad you made it…you are inspiration to me, taking time no matter how crazy your life is, to take time to art…I just love the honeycombs in the circles and want to give that a shot at some times…plus the colors…

2 Likes

Here’s mine. It turned out darker than I meant but I had grabbed my number stencil that was for negative spaces.

• canson mixed media notebook (9”x12”)
  • gesso
  • liquitex acrylics
  • gelatos
  • black and white ink pads
  • uniball black and white gel pens

And the small one

5 Likes

@photojenn it looks great. Your shading is so good.

@Abbeeroad i love the stamp you used. Looks like water drops.

@Edel it looks like an underwater scape. With bumblebees. I love the honeycomb.

@calluna love the colors you used and that little creature is awesome!

I love the “variations on a theme” posts from the craft-along. The interpretations are a symphony.

@photojenn I like the letter stamping on pink waves/jet stream. And the white scribble circles!

@Abbeeroad The flower stamps and splatter in a purple bubbly stream are luscious.

@Edel OOO bees and honeycombs and the yellow accents are yummy.

@Magpie Umm, you are supposed to use paper not yourself. You look gorgeous all speckled!

@calluna So cool and refreshing. Greens and blues are so restful. And the diamond pop nicely.

@geekgirl I love the reverse numbers with black and then the white stamp over. Lots of movement!

And mine: I added some yellow tone to warm it up.

And from an earlier one that I couldn’t join. It’s very dark and the dragonflies just don’t fit anymore (I’ll use them on something else). Still thinking on this one.

6 Likes

@Abbeeroad I love all of the whitespace on yours! It really draws your eye to the center of the page.

@Edel I love the bee theme and the honeycomb pattern in your circles. I also really love your background, it gives it a very dreamy vibe.

@Magpie The white speckles are just watered down white acrylic paint. I see you are familiar with white speckles :joy:

@calluna I love the feeling of your pages, there’s a fantastical joy about them. There’s something about your pages that has me staring at them uncovering new details. I just keep finding new parts that I love!

@geekgirl I love how different yet similar your pages are. The scribble detailing around the circles is great as well as your shading.

@marionberries I love your circles and the diamond shapes. The multiple outlines for the circles is very effective.

1 Like

Happy Friday! I was about to offer up my mini Gelli Plate in the Use it or lose it! A sharing and caring gift-along, since I haven’t in fact used it in over a year - but something told me to go look at some videos since maybe I’m just not doing it right, or there are better techniques I didn’t know. And sure enough, WOW, this:

I hadn’t seen this done before, with image transfer via paint. Has anyone tried it and liked or hated it? I guess I will be experimenting this weekend!

4 Likes

wow–that looks like a fun way to use a gelli…I haven’t used mine much either…I think I will play along as well!

I have tried it but had minimal success. But I haven’t seen that specific video before so I may give it another go

When I use text pages (like my college alumni magazine or some older book pages,) it happens unintentionally. When I’ve tried to do it on purpose, I don’t have much luck.

Birgit Koopsen’s videos are fabulous - she makes everything look so easy. I also recommend Carolyn Dube - she has a lot of videos on YouTube and she works for Gel Press, and Birgit works for Gelli Arts.

4 Likes

I made a few trash pages a few weeks ago and just left them up to dry…I wasn’t sure that I wanted to turn them into cards or journal pages. They were pretty thick so I decided to make them into tags.

I had to cut them with scissors since my rotary cutter would not go through the tapes and cardboards.

I did paint the back with just some coordinating paint and a large brayer. Since I did two pages, I still have one more to use up.

Here are the tags…I forgot to take a before picture but you can see the tapes and trash I used.

I posted more pictures in the paper craftalong as well.

9 Likes

Love the transformation of your trash page and I’m so digging those organic doodles!!

Wonderful! I just bought my first gelli plate online today :grinning:

1 Like

I love the gelli! Have fun, it’s so awesome.

1 Like

I haven’t had much time for crafting lately but I got to play around with some art journaling today.

I took one of the scribble backgrounds from the Alisa Burke class and did the credit card paint scraping technique over the scribbles. And then some stenciling, texture paste, inks, gel pens.

10 Likes

I love the depth and textures you got! The light pieces really pop against that background.

I love this one, gg. I can see a couple different images in the shapes. As always, you really master the layers.

2 Likes

This is a junk journal I made earlier this year - it is a wallpaper-covered hardback. I gutted it and inside there are 4 signatures of painted and junk papers. The end papers were double-page spread so I was able to cut and paste them back in.

So I’m going to try to partipate in #JunkJournalJuly hosted by @megjournals on Instagram and YouTube. The first prompt is “Welcome.”

And two detail shots

I joined after the first of July so I’ll be finishing some more pages tonight and tomorrow.

10 Likes

It’s awesome!

That’s a fun page! I’m off to go look at this craft along challenge

1 Like

Hi All - I am just jumping into this craftalong with encouragement from @AIMR Because the thread is so long, I hope you forgive that I have only gone back about a month to read some of the entries before posting (I’ll be going back to the beginning and read now :slight_smile: )

I am very new to art journaling - this is one of my first 10 pages. The book I am using is an 8x10" 1937 dictionary volume I picked up at an estate sale for $1. I am looking forward to improving with time.

This page is made from ephemera that was sent to me in a trade where I electroformed some sentimental leaves for a gal in the UK whom I met on Reddit - everything except for the large Flax flowers on the left which I drew with Tombow markers. The pocket on the right page contains a note she wrote me along with the twine she had wrapped around the package, and her return address (blurred) along with some of the postage from the package. I have loads more pressed flowers that she has sent as well. I have big plans for doing an altered book art journal that is all flowers and plants that those will find a home in one day. This page looks quite different from the other few I did.

Materials I used are:
the paper ephemera I was sent as well as dried lavender and unknown leaves
Gesso
Tombow water based markers
ModgePodge
Posca pen in gold
Stabillo
Gellato

8 Likes