Back to School Chalkboard

I picked up this Back to School chalkboard from Target back when LittleBookLover first started attending preschool and have used it for every back to school photo since then. I wasn’t going to give this it’s own post, but heaven knows I spent an exorbitant amount of time on this project (I don’t even remember how many times I redid the word ‘communication’ alone :roll_eyes:) and I need 3 Art projects to get my chameleon badge. So, why pass up the chance to make my first art post when I have an art project just waiting to be shared? :smile:

I often get stumped on what style of writing to use for all the different categories, so I turn to Google. I’ve gotten ideas by searching things like chalkboard numbers, chalkboard lettering, chalkboard flourishes, etc. This year, I used a few computer fonts for guidelines (special thanks to Clarendon Wide Regular for giving me the inspiration for the fancy ‘g’ I wanted :grin: ). I will very likely continue to use the font strategy in future years.

Action shot:

30 Likes

Oh, goodness, he has grown so much! What a fun project for the two of you…and great memories down the road!

1 Like

Lovely! I’m a sucker for typography of all kinds, and you did a wonderful job.

1 Like

Using the same board is a wonderful idea. Such a cutie you’ve got!

1 Like

You did a really great job! So vibrant and lively!

1 Like

@AIMR, he really has grown so much! I do love the seeing the pics of all his past years and enjoying the memories. I put all the years in a little photo collage on my phone and it’s so nice to be able to look through them all at once!

Thank you, @wittychild! I also love typography, so I really appreciate the compliment!

@Cindy, I have to agree with you, he is a cutie :smile:.

Thank you, @Bunny1kenobi!

3 Likes

Adorable! And that sign is so cute, too! A really great way to commemorate the first day and remember little things about your little guy as he grows.

1 Like

Wow!! 5th grade is kind of a big deal! Your plaque commemorates the moment so nicely! Love the personal touches and artsy embellishments.

2 Likes

Love the way you are capturing the memories. Also love the checkerboard under the Favorite book prompt. Your dapper little man looks excited to start a new year!

1 Like

It is fun to look back on all the little details and also interesting to see the ways that he’s grown and the ways he’s stayed the same :smiling_face: .

I remember being in fifth grade, I felt like such a big kid! Which is funny, because when I look at LittleBookLover, he still seems so little (despite having gotten so big, lol). :laughing:

Thanks! That was an easy prompt to fill in, so I wrote it out before filling out the one next to it or above it…as a result, that checkerboard had to be fixed a few different times, lol.

3 Likes

This looks great! (And oh goodness, he’s gotten so big!)

1 Like

Wow, looks like it took a long time! So worth it, though. It’s adorable and so is he.
:heart:

1 Like

You did an amazing job on the board - the colours and the various fonts are just perfect. Littlebooklover looks thrilled and raring to take on fifth grade!

1 Like

You nailed it exactly, lol. 5th grade is absolutely the cusp of real big kid-ness, while still looking super little. Exciting times ahead! :heart:

2 Likes

This is so beautifully done! great project for your adorable little guy!

1 Like

This is so adorable and so is Littlebooklover!

1 Like

Thank you, everyone! :smiling_face:

1 Like

:bell: :bell: :bell: Ding, ding, ding! Congratulations! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :bell: :bell: :bell:

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much :blush:.

1 Like

Aw, that’s the sweetest. What a fun way to celebrate back to school.

1 Like