CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Prompt: Realism (July)
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Blackberry Pie
Project Link:
Brief Description: I love making pies, and this pie is one of my favorites. It fits with the realism because it is very true to life and would be excellent to eat everyday, though I probably shouldn’t. :wink: Actually, this is probably the best blackberry pie I’ve ever made! It turned out just perfect and it was absolutely delicious! I made this at the beginning of July for my D&D friends who traveled across the US to visit! Here is the recipe I used for the filling and baking times:

And this is the pie crust recipe I ALWAYS use:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Cubism (July)
Project Name: Paella
Project Link:
Brief Description: I think its funny that this circular paella fits into the cubism prompt, but it does have many elements! I just started making paella a couple months ago, and had my FIRST paella in March. They are so delicious! This one has chicken, shrimp, and muscles! Its actually not as hard as I thought it would be to make, either! This is such an adaptable recipe, too. You can really add what you like!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bleach (August)
Project Name: Pumpkin Scones
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these mini pumpkin scones Monday night for a tea party we had with my sister, niece (age 3), and my girls. They smelled SOOO good when they were baking! They have a delicious maple glaze. I recently started making scones, my first batch was blueberry lemon scones, earlier this summer. I’m definitely hooked! There is only one little scone left, and my husband and I will have to fight over it. I’m planning on making some savory scones this weekend.

Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Ooh, the scones in particular look delicious!

1 Like

Prompt: September broom
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Owl Hang on
Project Link: Lazy Girl Design Hang On
Brief Description: Owls are known Witch friends, and witches ride brooms.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: August- Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Poison ATC
Project Link: Poison- a family ATC
Brief Description: The bottle on this ATC is transparent. It’s made of plastic.
Project Photo(s):

You can see some reflection here:

12 Likes

The use of that plastic poison bottle is ingenious and perfect for this card!

2 Likes

Prompt: July Zap
Project Name: Lacy Bats
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these bats using my embroidery machine. I learned that a magnetic hoop is a bad choice when stitching a project with such dense stitching. The stabilizer shifted over the course of the stitch out and some of the bats didn’t come out right. I’ll be using two of these bats to complete another project.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: Chalkboard Art
Project Link: Back to School Chalkboard
Brief Description: This back to school photo prop is a chalkboard written on with chalk, which creates it’s own fine powder when used. Also, sharpened chalk creates a ton of powdery chalkiness!
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

Those bats are amazing! I’d love to try an embroidery machine someday.

2 Likes

I hope you get the chance! It is by far, one of my favorite crafting tools.

3 Likes

Oh, bunny, I LOVE that potion atc!!! <3

3 Likes

Love those bats!!!

3 Likes

Prompt: Cubism (July)
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Check Register Book
Project Link: Coffee-Dyed Check Register Book
Brief Description: This book is made up of many pieces.
Project Photo(s):
Front

11 Likes

Very pretty!

1 Like

Prompt: July- Impressionism
Project Name: Card for SIL
Project Link: SIL floral birthday card
Brief Description: The flowers, pearls and ribbon add texture to the card.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Vaccuum
Project Name: Scrappy cards
Project Link: Scrappy Notecards
Brief Description: Made for the grab bag swap, using my scrappy masterboards. I find it easier to vacuum tiny pieces of paper than to sweep them up.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- All Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Lock necklace
Project Link: Lock necklace
Brief Description: This necklace has several parts.
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

Added links :point_up_2:

Prompt: Dish Soap (August)
Project Name: Neutral art journal page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: It has circles/bubbles and blue and could be used as kitchen art.
Project Photo(s):

12 Likes

I love how it says “Ladies, Assemble!” And there are cookies involved!

:smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: All-Purpose Cleaner (August)
Project Name: Abstract 4x6 1
Project Link: Which Way Is Up? 4x6 Abstracts
Brief Description: It has multiple colors.
Project Photo(s): Photo by jemimah

Prompt: Impressionism (July)
Project Name: Abstract 4x6 2
Project Link: Which Way Is Up? 4x6 Abstracts
Brief Description: It’s (somewhat) pastel colored.
Project Photo(s): Photo by Smmarrt

8 Likes

Anniversary/Retrospective

I finally decided to jump into the nerd games… I’m starting with my favourite projects over the last 10 years, in no particular order.

Acrylic painting

The painting below was inspired by a photograph I took during our family’s “big trip” in 2018-2019 (RV tour of US/Canada). I took the picture at Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park in NB, as my husband was walking in front of me, him and the 3 kids holding hands. I painted myself into the picture :slight_smile:

Watercolour

Pencil Drawing

I drew the picture below from a poster for the movie Logan (excellent film, btw. Also, the honest trailer for it is awesome. Aren’t all honest trailers, though?)

I drew Professor X, below, from a still from the same movie.

Ink/alcohol marker Drawing

Cakes

I made the cake below for my son’s birthday. I got my children into Back to the Future, because I’m a total BTTF geek.

For my daughter’s 11th birthday, she wanted a “sleepover theme” and asked all her friends to come in pyjamas to her middle-of-the-afternoon party.

Can all we adults take a page from her book and do all parties like this from now on? Please? :joy: Anyway, this is the cake I made for her:

Charcoal Drawing

There was this beautiful picture of a dock on the wall at my massage therapist’s office. I always liked looking at it, so I decided to draw it. I snapped a picture and then used charcoal to re-create it.

ATC

Finally, I think this may be the ATC I’ve made that I like most so far. It’s mixed media: collage, ink, and alcohol marker. Also, it’s available for a direct swap if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You don’t have to ask this lady twice to assemble when you have that many stacked cookies :heart: Hand 'em over lol! But in all seriousness, I really like this page and all the elements in it.

1 Like