Basic Baskets - Crochet

I was gifted some yarn from @AIMR and I decided to crochet baskets with the bulky weight yarn.

I modified the pattern found here. I made some errors on the blue one, but I don’t mind and I kinda like how it turned out.

The blue one is filled with all the fabric I own, the short and stout one I am using for paper craft stuff and one I made as a travel project bag for my SIL (complete with a matching pair of folding Fiskars).

And they store so neatly in the closet!

31 Likes

They look so great, I really like those!

1 Like

Very cool! My daughter would be over the moon for one of these.

1 Like

I love pretty and useful things…good use of the bulky yarn…I have a few that used the FP and BP stitches and made for a nice sturdy basket, but it was tough for my hands to handle the bulky yarn…

I love the blue one a lot…and lol, I think I have some boot top warmers that I made ages ago from that yarn…

Thanks for the pattern…I might give the last of the bulky yarn a go…

1 Like

These are gorgeous! It’s nice to have functional items that are decorative and made with your own two hands!!!

1 Like

I think you mentioned spike stitch in another post about these baskets but it looks different to me, does it have another name?

1 Like

I love these! Such pretty organization!

1 Like

These came out so well! It was such a good, practical use for that yarn- functional crafts are the best, especially when they can be used to organize other craft supplies. I love that you added color coordinated scissors for your SIL. And, you’ve given me an idea for a couple of gift ideas!

1 Like

I love these! :blush:

1 Like

Beautiful job!

1 Like

I love these! So practical and so beautiful.

1 Like

They do refer to it as a spike stitch, but I googled it and they do not look like the one I did so there must be all sorts. This one was done by doing a row of dc, chain 1 and skip a stitch, repeat until end. Change color and do the same thing but in alternating stitches (and on the chain you drop down to the previous round and crochet into that stitch completely covering the chain). You don’t have to carry your other color, you just pick it up at the next round so that was nice.

2 Likes

I found this tutorial that looks similar.
Also this granny spike stitch crochet tutorial is really cool!

1 Like

Oh I love that granny spike stitch and it sounds so badass. :slight_smile: I’ve been contemplating making a new summer blanket for my bed and that one would be great for lots of color work. I’m bookmarking it.

I love a functional craft. These are really nice looking. I love that they have character. You killed me with the fact that all your fabric fits into the blue basket though. Yikes. I would have to crochet around an entire room. Ha! It’s my stash weakness.

6 Likes

These are so charming and a lovely way to make using your stash an aesthetically beautiful experience!

Yes! I had a moment where I had to scroll back and forth for a bit to see if I really understood the scale of these baskets! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Ha! Awesome.

2 Likes

Haha! I was hoping someone would get a kick out of that. A sewer I am not, that stack will do me just fine for a bit. I do wish for more of a selection though!

Thanks everybody! I wasn’t sure this would be a very popular post. I do enjoy functional crafts the best and tend to gravitate toward them.

3 Likes

lol laughing at a room sized basket for fabric stash…yep…

I do use all sorts of baskets and bins to hold current and potential projects…I like having everything I need in one spot when I am ready to go…the problem is putting everything back that I don’t use…

4 Likes

I love these so hard.

3 Likes