Batik HST Exploding Star Quilt

I made this quilt for my DS1’s school fundraising auction.

It’s a half-square triangle 8-point star quilt. It’s laid out so that there’s a color change from green to blue to violet, like a dying star shedding it’s gaseous layers (nebulae are so cool). To make it twin-sized, I added a double border of the backing fabric and a coordinating marbled print. The quilting is a free-motion pebble pattern. I love the texture of this pattern.

I should have had it done sooner (working with a deadline), but my sewing machine decided it needed a tune-up in the middle of quilting. So, my old machine went into the shop, I bought a new machine, and ripped out all the bad stitching. I finally got it all fixed and finished this morning…Hopefully in time to still donate it.

In process:

32 Likes

Wowza…your quilt is spectacular!
That free-motion pebble pattern adds so much texture…love it!

2 Likes

It turned out lovely…but to work under such a deadline must have been nuts!

Do you use a template for your free motion? I am trying to figure out how you got such a tight and even pattern…it is wonderful…

2 Likes

This is beautiful!! Whoever wins this is going to be one lucky bidder!

I am so impressed by your free motion pebbles, it adds such a nice texture to the quilt. I can’t even imagine how you managed to get all those circles on such a large quilt.

It sounds like something good came out of your old machine needing a tune up. What kind of new machine did you get?

2 Likes

Thank you! No, the pebbles are pretty easy to ‘draw’ because I can vary the size and shape as necessary. I just sort of build it up row by row.

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I ended up getting a Brother CS6000i. It is set up really well for quilting and came with all the extras necessary for it. I’m actually pretty impressed with this machine.

3 Likes

This is really spectacular! Love how you did the colors.

1 Like

This is beautiful! That you did all the quilting freehand is amazing. I’ve been wanting to try it but I’m nervous I won’t like the outcome.

1 Like

Exploding star is right! It’s an explosion of color and awesomeness!

2 Likes

OOO pretty. I love the colors and the explosion from the center. Beautiful fabrics.

2 Likes

Beautiful! Love the colors and way you put them together. Quilting is lovely as well.

2 Likes

Whooooaaaa! I feel like I am currently embodying that “Take my money!” meme. WOW! I would break the bank bidding on that at auction, it is SPECTACULAR!

2 Likes

This is just beautiful! I really like the colours - they give the star the effect of actually shining.

2 Likes

A truly stellar quilt! The successful bidder will be very happy to win this.

1 Like

It is so beautiful.

1 Like

The colours are really pretty, and fit so nicely together :smiley: Great job

1 Like

Gorgeous quilt, but that next-to-last picture with the green & teal is just amazing. :green_heart:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

I wasn’t too late to donate, and handed off the quilt last night to one of the ladies organizing the auction. Woohoo!

Just start with a tiny quilt sandwich. When I started FMQ, I just made a bunch of squares, a different design in each, to get a feel for it. I turned the squares into a little quilt for my cat, but they’d have made cute coasters, too. Love it or hate it, you’re not out much but a few scraps and a bit of time.

2 Likes

Wow, that is one amazing and beautiful quilt! Your quilting is out of this world :wink: Great work, really!!

:metal:

1 Like