The Clouds Are (Not So) Far Behind Me Quilt

This is the third of the three HST quilts that I started together and worked up in a sort of batch-sewing project. Numbers one and two. I bought all of the fabric for the main panels from Jo-Ann’s when they had their FQs on sale - score! The main panel is mostly batiks, with just a few exceptions to complete the rainbow.

This is the first quilt that I made specifically for myself, and it sort of ended up being a way for me to pay some small tribute to the child I miscarried last year. It was originally to have been for her. There’s a traditional belief that we’re connected to those we love by a red string, no matter where we are and even before we know one another - so I quilted this quilt in red thread, with echoed paisley hearts.

It’s based on the “Postcards From Sweden” quilt pattern. I ran out of the backing fabric, so I used scraps of batik fabric from this quilt and the first quilt I finished this year to make up the difference. It wasn’t intended to be double-sided, but nothing ever goes perfectly to plan. I finished the binding by hand - something I usually don’t take the time to do, because, well, it takes forever! It’s a large throw quilt (pictured on my queen-sized bed), forgot to measure it.

In-process shots:

29 Likes

What a lovely story about a quilt…I did not know that about the red string…

The colors are just beautiful together and I must say, the back is lovely as well…

1 Like

I first heard about the red string symbology when my SIL and BIL adopted their first child from China. I think, traditionally, it refers only to couples who are destined to marry, but has been adapted to include parents and their children.

2 Likes

Did you free motion quilt the hearts yourself? Do you have a quilting machine? I love them…

1 Like

I did FMQ. I have a Brother CS6000i…it’s a standard machine that came with all the accessories and settings for FMQ. It’s still difficult to do anything huge, but it’s more than sufficient for a quilt less than King size.

2 Likes

The back is very cool!

1 Like

Stunning! Looks like a kaleidoscope to me.

1 Like

This is a beautiful quilt - so special - and a way to figuratively wrap your arms around your baby. Her memory and love will live on forever in this gorgeous quilt. I didn’t know about the red thread either, but that just adds to the awesomeness.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, but this is a beautiful tribute! I love the gorgeous quilting and the story behind it.

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

So beautiful, I loveeeee the colors

1 Like

This is beautiful and very touching.

1 Like

Very beautiful quilts. I love the pattern. Reminds me a little bit of some geometric needlepoint kits. Your first couple projects look amazing as well. Looking forward to your next project!

3 Likes

This is absolutely stunning, and the message behind the quilting is extra special. I’ve always been a fan of the Postcards from Sweden pattern, but I hadn’t seen it done in batiks before. They make it even better!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your quilt is one of this week’s featured projects. You are amazing!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you!

Congrats on the feature!

1 Like

Stunning quilt and such a sweet thought behind the thread and hearts.

1 Like

I LOOOVE the Heart stitches!

1 Like