Bee Collage Quilt 🐝

I have loved Laura Heine’s collage quilts ever since I first saw them. I remember going to a quilt show with my mom about 12 years ago and being in awe of her collage creations. Back then, I told my mom something along the lines of, “I love this, but there’s no way I could ever do something like that.” Fast forward to more recent times and I’m still in love with the collage patterns, but I also still felt intimidated to do my own.

Early in 2022, I found myself again at a quilt show admiring Laura Heine’s collage quilts. This time, I was seriously considering buying a couple of different patterns. One of the patterns I really liked was her ‘Teeny Tiny Bee.’ There was a booth selling both the pattern as well as a fabric kit that they had curated to go with it. I loved the sample they had on display using their kit and I actually preferred it to all the other bee kits I saw at the show. In the end though, I decided not to buy it. I did however, end up buying a different Laura Heine collage quilt pattern and fabric kit to make as a gift for my mom. Unfortunately, the instructions were a little hard to follow and I wasn’t sure where to start.

So, imagine my excitement and relief when I discovered a collage quilt class somewhat local to me that would teach participants how to make the very bee collage I liked, using the kit that I preferred. And the class just happened to run during the time that LittleBookLover would be at school and even though it was a 45 minute drive, I would have just enough time to take the class and be back at the school in time to pick up LittleBookLover. Pure serendipity and the perfect way to get some experience before starting on the collage for my mom.

It was so nice to be able to go and learn in person how to create the collage quilt! I really enjoyed the class and love the way my bee collage came out!

Some of my favorite details:

The first step was prep work. I backed all of my fabrics with Steam-a-Seam 2 (which has become my absolute favorite fusible to work with! If you haven’t used it before, I highly recommend it! I also used it along with some fabric scraps from this project to create some bee collage cards. I included a little info on how the Steam-a-Seam works down in the comments on that post).

After the prep work, I expected the first step would be to start building the background, but it turned out that the background is actually last. First, I covered the bee pattern with my ‘goddess sheet’ a thin teflon sheet that allowed me to see the pattern underneath it (I later bought a transparent silicone applique mat, which also works well and has the added advantage of being heavier, therefore making it less likely for the pattern to shift underneath). Next, I traced the design onto the Steam-a-Seam paper backing. You can see in the pic that the way to do this is to peel back the fabric, trace the design on the paper, then press the fabric back into place over the traced design. Then it’s just a matter of cutting out the traced piece. I built up the bee on the goddess sheet, making sure to overlap the fabric pieces. I used a few different black fabrics and layered them to create the bee body. Once I had created the bee, I pressed it with the iron while it was still on the teflon sheet. Because I had cut my pieces of fabric so that they would slightly overlap each other, it fused all the pieces together and I could then pick up the bee off the teflon sheet.

I moved the bee onto my Pattern Ease (which had already been cut to the final size I wanted my collage to be) and started to build the background underneath it. This was definitely the most fun part of the whole project! I loved adding all the bits and pieces and figuring out the best placement for everything. I also enjoyed finding some fabrics in my stash and picking up a few new ones to really give the project my own spin. Susy, the collage instructor, is a big fan of using selvages to add to the fun of the background. I ended up using two different selvages and just love the extra bit of whimsy they added. One of the nice things with a collage project like this is that it’s very forgiving. If you look at the honeycomb in the bottom left corner in the third background progress shot compared to the pic below the next paragraph, you will see that I ended up adding more honeycomb to the right side in order to get the shape that I wanted. I also added hexagon bits to the piece in the top left corner in order to fill it in a little more. After all was said and done, and the bee was quilted, I couldn’t even tell that those spots had been pieced together.

Once I had the layout completed to my liking, I fused it all together with a hot iron. Then I used steam to make it all permanent. I’m not 100% sure what happened, but I think maybe some of the fabrics shrank a little bit when I fused it, because once it was all fused together, instead the finished design laying flat, it ended up with a bit of a ripple. I was hoping the ripple wouldn’t be as noticeable once the bee was quilted, however it’s still there and it bothers me that it doesn’t lie flat. But, oh well, there’s nothing I can do about it other than enjoy my bee and try to make sure I don’t run into the same issue in any future endeavors.

I knew that before quilting it, I would need to do some tension tests to make sure my machine settings were ready to go. That felt like a big burden and was not something I was looking forward to, so I was super relieved when I found someone who offered to quilt it for a very reasonable price (I have since quilted a different collage quilt and it turned out I was making a much bigger deal of it in my head than it was in reality)! Once it was quilted, it was just a matter of binding it and creating a label - it sounds so easy, but for some reason, I had sooo much trouble binding the darn thing. As a result, it sat unfinished for about a year until recently when I finally pushed myself to finish it. The binding continued to be a pain, but I just kept seam ripping and trying again until I finalllllly got it done :sweat_smile: . I decided to bind it with some gold holoshimmer thread, so it has pretty, shiny finish. I used my embroidery machine to create the label on some white felt.

This was definitely one of my favorite projects that I have ever created!

29 Likes

Wow, this is just fabulous! I love all the little details, there’s so much to look at and admire!

2 Likes

Sweet collage! All the little fabric bits work so well together. You must have been so excited when you found that class!

2 Likes

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that this is fabric! You sure did a wonderful job with combining so many colors and patterns to make this feel like a beautiful painting!

Your bee is a stand out for sure!

3 Likes

This is spectacular! Really incredibly stunning, wow. There just so much to look at, I wish I could see it close up.

1 Like

This is gorgeous! I wish I could find a class like this AND the time to attend it!

I think it’s really awesome how things came full circle and you got to do the quilt that you always wanted to make.

2 Likes

Obviously, you were meant to make this collage quilt! It’s amazing!

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning my friend. :honeybee: :yellow_heart: :honeybee:

2 Likes

Beautiful.

This technique is very similar to the scrappy appliqué I do, so I appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

In the course I took, Steam-a-Seam was not recommended because it’s one of the few fusible products that doesn’t handle a lot of moving around, that could be what caused the ripple.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! It was such a fun project!

That’s interesting. It seemed like the Steam-a-Seam actually held up really well to being moved around multiple times. I should have asked the teacher if she has ever run into a similar problem with the ripple and if she had any idea what caused it.

When I saw your scrappy applique and some of the progress pics, it reminded me of this collage!

3 Likes

This is awesome!

2 Likes

It’s amazing!
You did an outstanding job.

2 Likes

Very cool! I love the optical illusion fabrics for the wings.

Thanks for sharing some of the process; I’ve been eying picture quilts again & this is a new technique I hadn’t seen before.

2 Likes

It’s really beautiful! SO many little details to delight your eye!

2 Likes

What kismet that the class turned out to be so perfect for you!

I absolutely love the background. The little pops of extra color where you placed them are so great! What an amazing keepsake.

2 Likes

This is soo beautiful!! Thank you for giving us a peek into the process and demystifying it a bit!!

2 Likes

Absolutely love this and I was captivated by the process!
It was destiny for you to make this! It is so cool.

2 Likes

:yellow_heart: :honeybee: :black_heart: Congratulations! Your stunningly bee-youtiful Bee Collage Quilt is a Featured Project this week! :black_heart: :honeybee: :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

this is amazing! so glad things lined up for you!

2 Likes

1 Like