Beet Mugrug

Made for @Ewulotta in the recent mugrug swap. We have a shared love of beets, how could I not choose this theme to celebrate our unique similarity? It had to be done, lol.

I tried free-motion machine embroidery for the first ever time, so much fun! I really love how the deep burgundy stitches make the background green batik look like actual beet greens.

Both of the dark batiks are from a trip we took to visit friends on the east coast before covid. They are full of wonderful memories, I was so happy being able to include them in a project for a friend.

19 Likes

This is freakin’ adorable!

1 Like

Just love this style…and using the batiks is fabulous as well!

1 Like

I love this so much!! The colors! The stitching!

My first (and second, and third) attempts at free motion were awful! You totally nailed it first try! Did you use a free motion foot?

1 Like

This is very artsy and cool, and the colors make the design pop!

1 Like

This is so cool!

1 Like

Love!!

1 Like

This is art!

1 Like

You killed it! And who would have thought about beets bringing anyone together? Lovely work!

2 Likes

One thing I didn’t know was that the fabric should be stretched in a hoop while stitching. I’d already fused all those carefully fussy cut fabric shapes to the background when trying the free motion stitching & was horrified at how bunched up everything became, I thought it was totally ruined! It flattened out with hot steam pressing and pulling, then I fused it to the thick felt backing to make sure it stayed flat. Scary for a minute there but I’ll know for next time. I’m sure it’s fine not to hoop for something like stipple quilting but this sort of dense back & forth sketchy drawing gathers the fabric up a lot.

1 Like

This is so beautiful!! Your free motion stitching is exceptional, I’m so impressed this is your first piece!

1 Like