Last year I started experimenting with making resin molds to make dice sets for Dungeons & Dragons, but somewhere along the way I decided to also try my hand at resin copies of a bitty babby moth guy sculpture inspired by my Moth Guy and fam. I made this sculpture specifically so that I could make copies, which is good since I damaged him on de-molding. The concept was that I could mass produce the Moth Babbies in lots of colors and distribute them in blind packaging. Unfortunately, as with most of my experiments I hit some bumps and never finished half of them and kinda put that project line to the side. I did however finish two of the resin replicas and sent them in swaps to @lindyv321 and The Raging Sloth. The issues were primarily in getting clean castings without excessive bubbles as well as in attaching the wings which I created separate molds for. I think the wing molds were also damaged since I played around with putty molds instead of liquid molds and it didn’t come out too well.
So here’s the “original” mothy sculpture that I used to make the mold with:
Here he is before his face was completed - I didn’t get a separate picture of his wings and they crumbled when I removed them from the wing molds I made.
Hereare the first few resin copies. (I began painting the one on the right at this point, more details below). You can also see part of the mold in the top right corner of this photo - it looks like a purple solo cup I glued the original form into the bottom of the solo cup and poured a silicon mold making formula inside and waited eagerly for a day or two for the mold to set.
And here are the first two completed mothy babes. Their feet had to be grounded down (the resin was poured with the moth upside down so that I could take down where they were poured more easily).
This one had glitter in his wings and head. I painted his body to make the details more clear but also because I wasn’t happy with how the glitter all sunk to his head. The wings had some spots that didn’t fill well, so I patched them with buttons which is more reminiscent of the original moth guy and his smaller family members. I left his eyes unpainted so you can still see the glitter in his head
This little buddy went home with Mushy the Mothman as an extra. I kept him more simple with just the opaque resin I used with pigment mixed in before pouring. His wings still had glitter but with the opaque resin, it was more subtle. I added glitter to his eyes after the fact and used mod podge to give them a glossy look.