Care Package for Friend

Not entirely sure this is in the right category, but both the box and the contents would be used in a home, so…

Do let me know if I should have put it elsewhere, please.

My friend of 22+ years has been going through an extremely hard time since August 2019.

My friend was in a very serious car accident and was critically injured to the point of being unable to work or volunteer in the capacities that she felt gave her life meaning.

She spent several months in hospital after the accident, only to come out exactly as COVID hit and restrictions were put in place. So she was extremely isolated for even longer than the rest of us.

Long story short, she was back in the hospital for two months—all of December and all of January. I hadn’t heard from her, despite my usual check-ins, and I was fearing the worst.

This will not solve any of her problems and will not convince her that she has worth outside of her occupations, but I do hope it will at least bring her a smile, however brief, when it arrives.

Her birthday is tomorrow, and I tried to time the mailing of the package so it would arrive if not on the exact day, at least before it.

First, I decorated an Amazon box I had lying around so it would be a pretty package for her. I used scrapbook paper from stash.

Then, I added a cute mug and little stuffed animal friend that I purchased at the store near my house. I used bubble wrap from stash to protect the mug, but because I don’t trust the mail system to not break things, I decided to add an extra layer of protection.

This is a quick-dry towel that Warm Showers guests forgot at our house many years ago. We reached out to them, and they told us we could keep it. We don’t really use it, so I figured it would make good—and practical—packing material.

So I wrapped the mug in the towel and wrapped it with a bow before putting it in the box. I also added a little card explaining that what was inside was fragile, as well as explaining that the quick-dry towel could be used for whatever she needed.

I remember that last time I visited her, she really liked the chocolate I gave her, so I purchased the same one and wrapped it in the fancy way I learned to do at one of our library programs. :gift: :chocolate_bar: :gift:

I made a small ATC-type card letting her know that she’s awesome simply because she is. I also wrote her a card thanking her for her friendship and for getting me through some rough times back in university.

then I started packing the box. I added some cute erasers just for fun, and some extra packing material, just in case

the Amazon boxes don’t close all the way, so I added a “FRIENDS” “sign” that I had leftover from when I made the Wall Calendar Envelopes as a barrier between the tape and the contents of the box.

And then it was all ready to mail.

Thank you for looking :heart:

12 Likes

What a love packed box you’ve made. I’m sure she’ll love it.

Personal hugs and thanks to you for the description of your friend’s perils. The almost exact situation happened to me in 2015. Please let her know if she needs someone contact useless me!

4 Likes

Those ‘little hug’ can make a big difference!
marvellous job !

1 Like

Such a happy, thoughtful care package! Sure to bring lots of smiles.

1 Like

That’s a very thoughtful package, I hope it helps cheer her up.
It can be really challenging to find one’s self-worth, especially if you feel like you should be doing something and can’t.

1 Like

That is so sweet of you. I hope your friend remembers she is important and loved.

1 Like

Your friend will certainly feel the love and CARE that went into this package.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the kind words, and I hope it’ll help her at least know that someone is thinking of her :heart:

1 Like

Beautiful box that you designed! That’s what drew me to your post…those lovely papers! You can never go wrong reaching out in love. Must have been such a wonderful feeling packing the box. I hope your friend is doing much better.

1 Like

Did the package make it there yet?

1 Like

Thank you for asking, @Tee!

Yes, my friend received the package. I had to send it to her sister, who is taking care of her mail while my friend is still in treatment.

My friend texted me to thank me for the package :heart:.

1 Like

You’re such a sweet girl.

1 Like

What a lovely and caring friend you are! It is such a sweet and thoughtful package filled with love.:orange_heart:

You rock :metal:t2:

1 Like

My friend is back in hospital for mental health… she is having a really hard time.

Please keep her in your thoughts. I am doing what I can from afar and checking in on her daily…

1 Like