Caterpillar pattern and tutorial

Look how cute! This simple little project is a great scrap buster.

Row 1- Leaving a 5" tail, single crochet 8, slip stitch into second chain from hook, slip stitch into next chain (to create picot), *single crochet 5, slip stitch into second chain from hook, slip stitch into next chain - repeat from * 3 more times until there are 5 picot stitches on the chain as shown below. Chain 6.

Row 2- Single crochet in second stitch from the hook, single crochet to end of row (there is one stitch in the centre of each picot and 2 stitches between them). Including the first stitch, there are 23.

Row 3- Single crochet and turn. Single crochet into second stitch from the hook, single crochet to end of row. Including the first stitch, there are 23.

Repeat row 3 for 5 more rows.

Row 9- Single crochet and turn. Single crochet into second stitch from the hook, single crochet 4. Chain 3 , slip stitch into second chain from the hook, slip stitch into next chain (to create picot). Skip the next stitch, single crochet twice, chain 3 and repeat steps for 5 picot stitches with 2 stitches between. After the last picot there are 5 single crochet stitches to the end of the row.

Row 10- Single crochet and turn, single crochet in second stitch from the hook Back Loop Only. Continue single crochet in back loop only for the row, there is one stitch behind each picot as shown. 23 stitches total

Row 11- **Single crochet and turn. Single crochet into second stitch from the hook, single crochet to end of row. Including the first stitch, there are 23. Repeat from ** for 2 more rows to row 13. Cut off a long tail, about 2’ or so, and pull the last single crochet loop until the tail comes free, pull tight to lock in place

This is a good time to decorate your caterpillar if you want it to be extra fancy. I did some lines and french knots on this one.

Using a blunt needle, thread the 5" starting tail and use it to gather the end as shown. Pull tight and knot on the inside.

Do the same with the longer tail at the opposite end, then begin stitching the side closed.

I’m catching 2 tiny stitches behind each picot as there is a natural tiny hole there and this helps to close it up securely.

If you’d like a bendy caterpillar, fold up a chenille stem to fit.

You can stuff your creation any way you wish but this is how I do it. Wrap some polyfil around the chenille stem and then go round and round with sewing thread to secure it. Insert it into the caterpillar and finish stitching the side closed. Knot and pull the end of the yarn inside the body to hide it.

I wrapped some additional black yarn around the body tightly to create segments and added french knots for eyes.

I made loads of these to abandon on friend’s porches around the neighbourhood. After I add eyes to the rest, I’ll put them into zipper baggies with a little note describing them as book worms to decorate book shelves.

19 Likes

Oh, he is genius. Just genius, I say!

Love hin with all his bookworm friends!

1 Like

A clew of bookworms!!
I’m green with envy!!

1 Like

I love these !!! French knots and I do not get along however!!!

1 Like

Now that is one caterpillar I would not mind in my garden! Very cute!

1 Like

So cute! And a very nice tutorial. How fun to scatter them among your friends…

1 Like

Those are so cuuuute! What a fun little project!

1 Like

Very cute! And they could totally hang out with some yarn succulents… :smile:

1 Like

Chances are the folk who end up with these may have gotten a cactus from me already. I have a small pool of people to off-load crafts to, lol.

1 Like

Awww! Those are adorable!

1 Like

OMG this is SO adorable! <3

1 Like

The cutest little bookworm army!!

1 Like

What a cute little project and a great way to brighten someone’s day!

1 Like

Okay, this one might actually happen because they are so stinkin cute!!

1 Like

Ooh, terms of venery are FUN! I didn’t know this one:
A group of worms is called a clew. … The term being coined as a collective noun for worms is a reflection of a group of worms resembling a clew of cord.

1 Like