Challenge chain, post your completed challenges here, and chat about the challenges

I finished @Cyn-energy’s sunrise inspired challenge.

I haven’t been to the hairdresser for while so I’ve been in need of hair accessories. I had a little bit of leftover Noro yarn, and I made this headband. The graduated colours remind me a little of a sunrise (it’s not the best lit photo, but our only mirrors are in bathrooms).

I lurve Noro yarn, so happy to find a use for the leftovers. The pattern is this popular and easy one - Calorimetry.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/calorimetry

The pattern knits quite large, I only cast on 90, and knit fewer rows for a narrower band. Very fast knit, I might make more!

11 Likes

cute! the caloimetry has been a favorite of mine…but when the pattern first came out, everyone was complaining to the designer that there was something wrong with the pattern…she got quite belligerant about it and refused to adjust it despite hundreds of complaints…I took careful notes on mine and made quite a few of them, including for the entire mod squad…I believe I had to go down to size 7 needles…I’ll see if I can find my notes for you…I just got a shipment of Noro yarn! I love it as well!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m glad I checked other people’s project notes on ravelry, it saves a lot of time if you know how things knit up. I found it wasn’t hard to just knit it to the size I wanted.

I’m a bit jealous of your Noro shipment! :smiley: I’ll look forward to seeing what you create with it!

1 Like

This is gorgeous ! Well done. I am growing my hair out now and will be needing some hairbands soon. I must pick up my knitting again - I never got off the basic stitch / washcloth / scarf kind of idea, and that’s been 10 years or more ago.

1 Like

@roler, great work on those masks! :+1:t3:

@AIMR, love your lap blanket! Love the simpleness of it, but the triangles makes it interesting to see!

@GMPNQ, I agree with AIMR it does look like a map! Intriguing!

@Cindy, love your twisted rainbow muffins! How did they taste?

@Lynx, what a lovely artwork!

@Cyn-energy, first of, how nice to see you! You are such a beauty! I love the headband! And as thoughts on the look of it, I think if you add a few more roses, it adds dimension. The roses are not flat like the flowers.
Maybe these flowers Here is a link to several flower patterns.
Not critic, only meant to be helpful

ow @calluna that is such an pretty cross stitch pattern! Love the colours you used, neat stitching!

@jemimah what a pretty headband! I know you are a great knitter, I wear the hats you made me with such pride!

I think I need some sort of hair accessoires too, I needed a hair cut 3 weeks ago hahaha :joy:

Yesterday I started on my Sashiko challenge (cycle challenge by @calluna) and I am having fun sewing this! I am cheating, using my machine, I think I will add hand stitching later. I am impatient :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

No, not done with my challenge and I think it isn’t much “real” sashiko anymore but still having fun and I like the look of it!

Sharing a pic with you

I am using Jeans thread in sort of Sashiko colours :wink:

14 Likes

That is so cool!
I love the way you’ve used the built in stitches on your machine.
Might not be what you intended, but it’s going to be fabulous when you’ve finished it!

2 Likes

Wonderful texture! It looks fab!

1 Like

Thanks! I guess it’s going to be a Masterboard. I figured I’d better use all sorts of stitches, to really get to know my machine. I love the look and it is okay that it is not Sashiko. I will do that some other time.

3 Likes

Ok, I have dropped the ball on the lovely “book” challenge I picked up (did two of the things I was thinking I might do without actually crafting, haven’t managed to dig out the supplies from the far corners of the house for the third) so if anyone else wants to adopt it, please do! :cry:

I haven’t quite dropped the ball on the “metal” challenge, but it’s been slow going. I have one step left to do, so I should be done tomorrow. If I can think of something for the book challenge before someone else grabs it, I might adopt it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is GORGEOUS!

Thank you for your lovely feedback (also thanks to @thanate, @GMPNQ and @jemimah!). I will be taking sort of a compilation of the advice and going back to that headband soon and adding more flowers, possibly more roses, more / different color leaves, maybe changing up the colors and/or adding different flowers. I need to probably just play with it. But flowers can’t be bad, right? So if I make a few more and they don’t go on the band I’m sure I’ll find a use for them. :slight_smile: My ADHD is really killing me, I have three active projects not counting the headband and can’t seem to get motivated to work for more than an hour or two at a time on any one of them. I’m constantly looking for “the next one”. I need to crack down and just finish something (I was soooo hopeful that headband would be that project; quick enough to get it knocked out - le sigh)

5 Likes

This is stunning. :heart_eyes:

I’m sure it’s going to look fab - looking forward to seeing a picture of the finished headband! I know what you mean about multiple projects on the go, there’s a lot of UFOs here atm …

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, I am behind in allthethings!

Here are a couple of entries:

@Lynx’s Bloom! This is a rose plantling my boss gave me for the holidays, it has a planting in the dirt outside schedule to follow so I’ve waiting until now to start it. Not sure it’s going to make it but I hope it will!

Also for this theme are the garden seeds, they will all blossom though that isn’t their ultimate function.

And the latest, nest. I know it isn’t finished but it’s taken hours already! The headboard of our bed is so ridiculously sharp. I’ve chopped up this foam cushion and contact cemented the bits together to make a thing. The cushion cover was so lovely, I’ll be piecing it into a new cover.
Don’t say anything about my horrible cutting, do you know how hard it is to slice 3" foam? Ugh!

9 Likes

Ooh, that is a lot of work!! It will be wonderful!

I would love to see your notes for it, I’ve had this in my Ravelry queue for 10+ years and have never done any knitting other than dish cloths. Is this something a novice like myself could manage?

The most difficult thing is not being put off by what is called short rows…it seems like you are not knitting to the end and then have to turn it around…I am trying to think of what it compares to in crochet…I will go through my patterns when I get a chance…I am still unpacking boxes after six months in my new house!

I loved it because it kept my hair out of the way for many winters!!! I will need to make some out of lighter weight yarns for the hot summers here…maybe even a cotton yarn!

1 Like

I think I understand the “short row” as in you work the piece progressively decreasing as you go then when it’s time to increase you pick back up the stitches from the previous rows to kinda “curl” the piece.

You got it! I did it when I was first learning to make this…just follow the pattern…the first one I made was big enough to fit a watermelon…lol…I know I went down in needle size and how many stitches…I will find it for you…You can do this!

2 Likes