Cheetoh the Garden Eel

This week, I’ve been hanging out with @storerboughtcreation for the first time in about ten years! We’ve been friends since high school, and crafting buddies for a lot of that time, but hadn’t really had time to craft together in one place before, only over Skype. I don’t have much experience with yarn, but SBC is an absolute yarn magician, so for the past few days she’s been teaching me to crochet. First I just did a swatch of various different stitches and stuff, but after only a couple of days of practice, I made my very first amigurumi!

Those of you who know me probably know that I LOOOOOVE eels, so of course I had to make a splendid garden eel, which also worked out nicely because it has no limbs or other parts to attach. Thanks to SBC’s excellent tutelage, I was able to finish this in one long evening. When I finished this little guy and showed it to the sleepy Mr. SBC (we’d stayed up pretty late because I wanted to finish the project before going to bed), he said, “It’s cute; it looks like a Cheetoh!” so that became his name.

I love my little Cheetoh the garden eel, and I hope to make more amis soon! :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Cheetoh is wonderful! You picked up crochet so quickly and made a super awesome first ami. I’m sooooooo glad we got to hang out in actual reality vs virtual reality. I’m sad you’re heading home tomorrow. We will definitely not let another 10 years pass before we see each other again!

2 Likes

I thought it was Slimey, Oscar the Grouch’s worm friend, when I saw the thumbnail! But now I need to look out for eels in my garden!

5 Likes

he’s super cute and impressive you made an amigurumi right off the bat!

2 Likes

How fun to get hands on lessons! I expect we will be seeing some more cute little creatures before long…welcome, Cheetoh…

2 Likes

What a wonderful first project! Glad you guys had a great visit!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first crochet project! Good for you! Crochet lends itself well to many items, so now you can search for endless ways to apply it. And Cheetoh is aptly named! Welcome, Cheetoh!

:metal:

YASSSSSSS, MELLYBELLY!!!

2 Likes

Awww! Look at his fancy stripes.

3 Likes

How fun to get to spend time together and yeah for being able to learn crochet so quickly. I was taught 35 years ago and still struggle with it.

2 Likes

Cheetoh looks darling! You are obviously a quick study!

1 Like

Me toooooo! I love Slimey!

1 Like

Cheetoh is so cute.

Just checked out your Instagram account … will Cheetoh make an appearance there too?

1 Like

Learning from a friend sounds like the absolute best way to learn how to crochet!
And you’re already acing it!

1 Like

So completely adorable. I would love to see a close up of him in his new leather hat!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve already ordered some more yarn and amigurumi patterns to try to make more cute critters! Can’t wait for it to arrive! :slight_smile: And yes, we must visit more!

Heeee, that would be super cute too! And wow, I wish garden eels would show up in my garden! They’re actually called that because of the way they look; they tend to stay mostly buried in the sand with only their heads and necks sticking out, with big clusters of them together, so that they sway in the current like grass blowing in the wind.

I had tried to learn two or three times before and always got frustrated and gave up. For some reason this time it just clicked. Hooray for an awesome teacher, and inspiration finally hitting!

Thanks! Cheetoh will probably show up there sooner or later… possibly later, because I have a HUGE backlog of photos that haven’t been posted yet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: People always say they’re confused about where Katsuyuki actually is at any given point, because I’m constantly putting up photos of past vacations and stuff.

Actually the garden eel with the leather hat is Kicchu! He’s a tiny magnet friend who comes around in my purse at all times, so even if I don’t have Katsuyuki or one of his other bigger buddies, I at least have Kicchu! Here he is with his hat:

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, where ARE you? There are some really interesting characters in that scene, lol.

1 Like

Hahaha, that’s the entrance to the amazing Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, where I went a couple weeks ago with SBC. Right now they have an art exhibit going on with a bunch of large plastic animals. They’re so cute and colorful!

3 Likes

I just stumbled back upon this post, and I had to chuckle at this quote, given your prolific ami output since then :rofl:. What a year!

1 Like

Awww, thanks! Wow, I really have come a long way from just making a little tube-shaped eel! :slight_smile: Thanks for all the encouragement! XD