Christmas Crack

11/14/20 Note: This recipe was originally posted on Deadster back in 2008, and since the page is no longer accessible on the old site, the lovely @craftADDchick asked me to repost it here. Happy holiday gifting friends!

I know there are probably lot of you out there who either need a really simple last minute gift, or who with the terrible economy want to make INEXPENSIVE gifts this year. This is one of the easiest, cheapest, and yet most impressive gourmet-ish gifts I’ve ever found. The friend who gave me the recipe called it Christmas Crack because it is addictive, it contains crackers, and you ‘crack’ it apart, but I’ve found this doesn’t tell people much about it, so call it whatever you wish. It’s basically chocolate covered toffee pieces, and it’s made with things that are probably already in your kitchen.

1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter (salted)
1 11.5 oz. package chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a 10" x 15" cookie sheet with foil (the kind of sheet that has raised edges!). Spray with Pam, or grease VERY lightly with butter. Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines. Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. When you remove it, the caramel mixture will be molten and boiling; allow to cool about 3 min, or until you can see the crackers distinctly, which will have shifted while baking. Push them back into order with a fork.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Once melted spread chocolate evenly. If desired, sprinkle on pecans and press lightly into the chocolate. Let cool a bit and then transfer to fridge to harden. Sometimes if it’s really cold outside, I just put it on the table on my front porch for 20 minutes! Member @Edel recommends sprinkling some big salt crystals on top, to oomph up the saltiness.

Once hard, break the candy into small pieces and place in air tight containers. Store in the fridge until ready to enjoy. I warn you, this is addictive to MAKE and to EAT, but go easy on it, as it is literally butter + sugar. I give it as gifts in tins to people I’m attempting to impress (in-laws, boss, etc), and in gladware to everyone else who has already been impressed and is now just awaiting their yearly fix.

Notes 11/13/11:
There have been lots of great notes and suggestions in this thread since I first posted it. I’ve tried to collect most of the suggestions and add them in here for you.

The Question of Crackers
Saltines (or soda crackers to our friends overseas), are the standard option, but this can be made with other things too. Some favorites are matzoh, club crackers, rice crackers (gluten free!) or graham crackers. For those of you overseas wondering what the heck a saltine is, check out this wikipedia article on them. Also, acording to edelC, you can find a good saltine substitute at Aldi. Delser mini crackers come in plain, salted & whole wheat. Go with the salted ones.

Nuts and Alternate Toppings
This is also wonderful topped with almonds or walnuts! Or you can skip the nuts and top them with festive colored sprinkles! And be sure to try orange sprinkles at Halloween. Other topping options include crushed candy canes or marshmallows. Smiley

The Question of Butter
Some people have asked if margarine or vegan butter substitutes can work for this. I do not believe they will work in the same amounts because the water to fat ratio in margarine is different than in butter. If you’re looking for a vegan option, you’ll have to google around a bit to find a version that works with vegan butter alternatives. Oh, and don’t try “whipped” butter, which has lots of air incorporated into it. The recipe calls for butter in stick form.

Toffee Troubleshooting
Over the years I’ve had a few people say that their batch of Crack came out soft & chewy instead of crunchy. I’ve never really had that problem happen, but just in case, here are a few notes others have posted in the thread since I originally put up the recipe.

The Question of Stirring
You must stir continuously while making toffee. This helps the candy to heat more evenly and also reduces the chance of the butter separating or sugar crystals forming. Stirring doesn’t need to be vigorous stirring, just slow and steady should do.

Gritty Toffee?
Toffee gets gritty because the sugar has crystallized. Crystallization usually happens because you either let the temperature get too hot, or sugar crystals formed on the sides of the pan while you were cooking and then spread through the candy mixture like a chain reaction. While stirring your toffee mixture, stir steady and gently, trying not to splash the mixture up the sides of the pan. If some does get up there (it usually happens), just take a pastry brush and dip it in hot water, washing the sugar back down into the rest of the mixture.

If Your Butter is Separating Out
If your butter and sugar are separating, there could be a few reasons. Some of them are listed below:
-You didn’t stir enough. Most toffee recipes call for constant stirring. If you don’t keep the mixture moving, it can get too hot and the butter tends to separate.
-You stirred too quickly. (Not necessarily too much, just too fast.)
-Too hot and humid in the kitchen. If it’s a hot and humid day, it’s really not a good time for candy making.
-Rapid temperature changes. Start out melting your butter and sugar at a low/medium temperature. Don’t raise the temperature abruptly. Using a heavy saucepan is safer because it conducts the heat better and more evenly than thin pan.
-Use salted butter, rather than unsalted. If you use unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp. of salt to help stabilize the mixture.
-If your butter starts to separate while cooking, remove it from the heat and stir it continually until it blends back together again. Don’t stir too fast. You may splash yourself with hot butter, and it can also cause more separation. Gradually return to heat, stirring constantly.

There are alternate versions of the recipe that call for 1 cup butter, 1 cup packed DARK brown sugar, 1 sleeve of saltines, 1 11 oz. bag chocolate chips & 1/2 cup chopped pecans. In small saucepan, place butter and brown sugar, heat to boil 4 minutes . Spread evenly over crackers. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.

Still have questions? Check out this post on Cooking for Engineers

21 Likes

Thanks for sharing it here!

1 Like

Thank you for reposting this! I actually copied-and-pasted the Deadster post into a Word document so I’d always have it, but now I can access it on my phone too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This is the best candy to make ever. It has become a very sought after item when I gift it. Our church has a Valentine’s Day chocolate auction and this always pulls in some good money. I use a mix of Ghirardelli dark and reg chocolate and pecans on top. I even hunt for good gluten free crackers for special batches.
Now I want some. NOW! Coarse salt is also a great topping for nut free versions.

4 Likes

Thank you for putting it here. I have it copied into the family cook book that I’m compiling. It’ll definitely be made this year. One friend has been asking about it for the last month or so.

1 Like

Thanks so much for find it and posting it here! I know that people will definitely enjoy it. And, to keep myself from eating it all, I might put nuts on it (I can’t eat them because I’m allergic).

2 Likes

Oh yes, oh yes. My coworkers are already asking when this will happen…
the best treat in the world!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I was just considering asking if you’d repost it here! It is, to me, quite possibly the most crucial and commonly referenced topic from the dead site. And now that time of year is upon us… :drooling_face:

1 Like

These are dangerously addictive…will have to make a batch soon!

1 Like

this is one of my favourite quick holiday candy recipes…we love it almost a little too much…lolz

1 Like

Oh, I’m interested to try it using rice crackers. I’ve never made toffee before, so that should be interesting! And I have a ton of chocolate chips to use up.

1 Like

I need to make this.

1 Like

Wow this sounds amazing. I missed this on Deadster and here somehow. Based on the comments I’m clearly going to have to try making it this year!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing here! This was the recipe I used when I first made this and have been making it now for almost 10 years!

1 Like

Thank you for reposting your recipe. I pinned it way back when and kind of forgot about it. I made it yesterday for my Christmas party and it’s so delicious! I did half plain chocolate and half with himalayan pink salt.

2 Likes

First batch disappeared in minutes. Time to make another! I love this stuff and limit it to special holidays.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this recipe. It is now officially in the yearly Christmas cookie line-up.

1 Like

Don’t forget Valentines Day. Very special treat.

2 Likes

With all the social distancing and all my coworkers taking leave during the holidays, I didn’t end up giving any out this year. But as a Christmas gift to myself, I made a batch just for me. As a gift to my post-Chistmas-and-beyond self, I limited myself to the one batch this year, and didn’t eat all of it at once. :laughing: I always hear Jennie’s written warning in my head when I dig into it: “Go easy on it”. Wise words.

Oh wait, I did make a mini-batch for myself a few months back, in a loaf pan, which only fit like 3-4 saltines. Just the right amount to satisfy the momentary obsession!

3 Likes

I made one batch with a row of gluten free crackers for me. The rest went to my DW’s co-workers: our minister, the director of music and the office administrator. And of course my DW.

Just the right amount!

2 Likes