CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: Not actually sure if the Lettuce Help Our Community Challenge is continuing in August
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch
Brief Description: The pilot for the university library where I work started this week, so I have started making back-up masks for our student employees. These kids are generally awesome but given their inability to keep track of their name badges for work I have a feeling that masks will be a frequent casualty of Life. Not exactly the hippest fabric for the Gen Z crowd, but it’s what I have on hand.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: ???
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: I have my first batch of successful masks! If youth consider 2 masks a batch… I’m an extreme novice at sewing. I finally got my fabric washed, and reverse engineered a mask that a friend made! Instead of, you know, selling for the pattern ahead of time… She made option 3 of the Craft Passion masks, which has a pocket for filters. I love how these fit, and I’ll be making more for myself. This batch will be sent to my mother in law, who is a teaching assistant.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 2, Barnton - Pair of something
House: Slytherin :snake: :black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Crochet earrings, Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square
Brief Description: I crocheted up a few teeny square motifs from Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square crochet motif book (sorry, can’t link the pattern, copyright!).
I used some #10 crochet thread, faux hematite beads, and silver/silver plated findings. was going to add more beads to dangle from the bottom corners, but I think less is more here.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

No, the LC Masks Challenges have ended. I ran 3 rounds of it, and need a break for now.

2 Likes

Class: Charms
Project Description: Learning about the baubillious charm inspired me to make this white hat for Ridley (or a friend)
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - Stash Challenge
Project Description: I made an MSD-sized hat for Ridley from some nice, soft stash yarn. It’s hard to tell from the lighting in this pic, but this hat is white and light blue.
Project Pic:

Class: House Unity
Project Description: This Ravenclaw blanket for the end of Ridley’s bed is Ravenclaw-themed! :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Expecto Patronum Challenge
Project Description: My mom needed some masks because she’s allergic to elastic and has trouble with her glasses fogging, so I made these with a crocheted tie-chain and a little nose pocket for a nose wire. Success!
Project Pic:

1 Like

Love the crochet chain ties on your masks Moonflame!

@Trillian - While the Lettuce Help Our Communities LC Challenge is over, I started a Mask-Along thread to give us mask makers a place to share. Of course Expecto Patronum here is still an option too!

1 Like

Oh that’s a great idea with the crochet chain. I only have so many shoe laces lying around. :laughing:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #2
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial
**Brief Description:**Some face masks for friends.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #3
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #4

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Falmouth Falcons, craft something in dark colors
Project Name & Page Link: Plant Pot
Brief Description: I need a few more plant pots so created this one in dark, earthy colors.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Chudley Cannons
Project Name & Page Link: Dog Harness
Brief Description: I created an even smaller harness for my young puppy, since the last one ended up being too large. https://blog.dogundermydesk.com/2010/11/little-dog-harness-tutorial/

3 Likes

@Abbeeroad and @CraftsUntold, thank you! I was musing aloud about what to use and my daughter suggested the crocheted chain idea. I love it so much that I made more for our fam with chains, and I think I’ll convert my elastic ones, too!

More masks today:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #2
Project Description: More masks for the fam! This time, Mando Masks
Project Pic:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #3
Project Description: Happy Cupcakes Masks for the fam!
Project Pic:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef: Lime
House: Slytherin :snake::black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Key Lime Pie
Brief Description: I have never had key lime pie, so I wasn’t going to be comparing it to what it should taste like normally. I could just enjoy something new !

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Hufflepuff**
Project Name & page link knit top
Brief Description I often wear loose flowy stuff, but loved this fabric so much and only had enough for a fitted top so I went for it.

2 Likes

I’m going to try a keto lime cheesecake tomorrow :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Expecto Patronum - Masks
House: :lion: Gryffindor! :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: My First Masks
Brief Description: Link to Pattern
They did take me all afternoon … but I was dawdling :stuck_out_tongue:
I also had a new TV show on on the background, called The Deceived on Stan (Is Stan an Australian only streaming service?)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Oh keto like cheesecake sounds wonderful! I love cheesecake. My key lime pie turned out pretty good, but I put in too much lime juice. The lime is powerful. Fiance doesn’t like it, so I need to give some of it away. Not sure it will freeze well.

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff**
Project Name & page link duvet cover
Brief Description my brothers separation is legal, and he’s got a new place but no bedding, so I ordered to make him s new duvet cover.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, that puppy is adorable in his little vest (harness). :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #2
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: Batch # 2! I spent time yesterday tracing and cutting all the pieces, and it took me a couple hours today to sew everything together. Curves are hard to sew, and topstitching on a curve is HARD, but each one I do gets a little bit neater. 8 masks total: two for my FIL, one more for my MIL, one for my mom, some for me, and an extra or two if a friend needs it. I really love this colorful fabric, I made sure to keep a small amount for something else for myself. Next batch will be Halloween themed…

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Lime
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Lime & Zucchini Cake
Brief Description: After Abbeeroad announced that this month’s Iron Chef secret ingredient was lime, I went searching for baking recipes. This is the result! It is moist from the zucchini, has a nutty flavor from the pistachios, and a brightness from the lime.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like

Hi @plaidpineapple. In your post from 4 days ago (Aug 6th), you posted a project for the Falmouth Falcons, and one for the Chudley Cannons. I think you were fulfilling prompts from Round 1 of Quidditch. Round 1 ended on July 19th, and we’re now in Round 2, where there is no prompt for the Falmouth Falcons. There is a prompt for the Cannons, but it is a new one, and the wording of your post seems to indicate you were answering the old one. Therefore neither your plant pot or your second dog harness have been counted. If you wish to resubmit them under other prompts, please do so, and let me know so I can make sure you get points for them.

Sorry for the long post, I’ve been quite creative during my vacation at home :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Book club
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Dragon’s beard
Brief Description: Inspired by dragon we made Dragon’s beard. I realised after we’ve made it and taken it to family that we forgot to take pictures of the better results, but here you have one of the first tries that I helped my son make. It wasn’t perfect, but we got the hang of it eventually, even though ours weren’t nearly as fine as the ones vendors in China make.
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Creme Brulee
Brief Description: I had never used my food torch before, so this was a first. Making the creme was easy, torching it as well, way easier than I thought it would be. I had three kids with me at the time so they each got to torch their own pot :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: stash
Project Name & Page Link: Kitchen scrubbies
Brief Description: I’ve been saving up the netting from onions and so on, I realised I had a lot of them and then decided I needed to do something with them. I do have scrubbies, but they aren’t that kind with my more delicate pans, these on the other hand work great as they are only plastic. I hand stitched them, and then a few days later made another two, so now the mesh get to be useful for a little longer.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Cockroach donuts! with cream, caramel and chocolate
Brief Description: I’ve had this recipe for a few years, always telling me that “this year I’ll make it”. I haven’t, not until now. When I saw the title of the challenge I remembered this recipe and was determined to finally make it. Mine might not be as great looking as the original ones, I messed up with the size of the head and didn’t realise it until later, but they still looked great enough, at least the kids loved the look and taste of them :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Fidget board
Brief Description: My son was too old when I first came across fidget boards (not that it stopped him from playing with this one) but I had a nephew who just became one year old and who this gift would be perfect for. I let my mom know about my plan and she decided to help me out, she also found a few things we were able to add to the board.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch: Chudley Cannons
Project Name & Page Link: Cheese souffle
Brief Description: I’ve certainly see the souffle lose all the air simply because someone closed the door in the next room, and always feared this recipe. I decided that I’m old enough to try and tackle it now, so I did. I mean, it lost some air, but really slowly. One thing I did “wrong” was not using smaller pots, but I don’t have any smaller, so they didn’t become big and tall. But it certainly tasted great!
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Quidditch: Sweetwater All-Star
Project Name & Page Link: Star fruit upside down cake
Brief Description: Star fruit doesn’t have as an amazing taste like pineapple, but this recipe made it more yummy. I think it would have been even better had I added chopped up star fruit to the batter. Oh, I left the fruit to soak in a juice to give it even more flavour, it worked great.
Project Picture:

3 Likes