CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Hi Guys!! Sorry for the delay! I think I was in denial that it’s August already!! Anyway, here’s the new Iron Chef Hogwarts challenge! :woman_cook: :shallow_pan_of_food: :hocho:

August Secret Ingredient: Limes!
Limes are the perfect accent to summer dishes and drinks. Give this cilantro lime salmon with mango salsa a try, or maybe a peach salad with chili and lime. What about grilled lime and chipotle watermelon skewers?

4 Likes

OOooooohhhh… I love lime! Gonna have to search for some fun recipes and see what calls to me.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve done an Iron Chef challenge yet! I just google a recipe for Keto Key Lime Pie… I’ve never had normal key lime pie, so I don’t have anything to compare taste to & have no expectations! LOL.

:upside_down_face: :green_heart:

2 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: Not actually sure if the Lettuce Help Our Community Challenge is continuing in August
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch
Brief Description: The pilot for the university library where I work started this week, so I have started making back-up masks for our student employees. These kids are generally awesome but given their inability to keep track of their name badges for work I have a feeling that masks will be a frequent casualty of Life. Not exactly the hippest fabric for the Gen Z crowd, but it’s what I have on hand.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patrnonum #1
SPEW or LC Contest: ???
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: I have my first batch of successful masks! If youth consider 2 masks a batch… I’m an extreme novice at sewing. I finally got my fabric washed, and reverse engineered a mask that a friend made! Instead of, you know, selling for the pattern ahead of time… She made option 3 of the Craft Passion masks, which has a pocket for filters. I love how these fit, and I’ll be making more for myself. This batch will be sent to my mother in law, who is a teaching assistant.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 2, Barnton - Pair of something
House: Slytherin :snake: :black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Crochet earrings, Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square
Brief Description: I crocheted up a few teeny square motifs from Edie Eckman’s Beyond the Square crochet motif book (sorry, can’t link the pattern, copyright!).
I used some #10 crochet thread, faux hematite beads, and silver/silver plated findings. was going to add more beads to dangle from the bottom corners, but I think less is more here.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

No, the LC Masks Challenges have ended. I ran 3 rounds of it, and need a break for now.

2 Likes

Class: Charms
Project Description: Learning about the baubillious charm inspired me to make this white hat for Ridley (or a friend)
Project Pic:

Class: Detention - Stash Challenge
Project Description: I made an MSD-sized hat for Ridley from some nice, soft stash yarn. It’s hard to tell from the lighting in this pic, but this hat is white and light blue.
Project Pic:

Class: House Unity
Project Description: This Ravenclaw blanket for the end of Ridley’s bed is Ravenclaw-themed! :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class: Expecto Patronum Challenge
Project Description: My mom needed some masks because she’s allergic to elastic and has trouble with her glasses fogging, so I made these with a crocheted tie-chain and a little nose pocket for a nose wire. Success!
Project Pic:

1 Like

Love the crochet chain ties on your masks Moonflame!

@Trillian - While the Lettuce Help Our Communities LC Challenge is over, I started a Mask-Along thread to give us mask makers a place to share. Of course Expecto Patronum here is still an option too!

1 Like

Oh that’s a great idea with the crochet chain. I only have so many shoe laces lying around. :laughing:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #2
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial
**Brief Description:**Some face masks for friends.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #3
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum #4

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Falmouth Falcons, craft something in dark colors
Project Name & Page Link: Plant Pot
Brief Description: I need a few more plant pots so created this one in dark, earthy colors.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Chudley Cannons
Project Name & Page Link: Dog Harness
Brief Description: I created an even smaller harness for my young puppy, since the last one ended up being too large. https://blog.dogundermydesk.com/2010/11/little-dog-harness-tutorial/

3 Likes

@Abbeeroad and @CraftsUntold, thank you! I was musing aloud about what to use and my daughter suggested the crocheted chain idea. I love it so much that I made more for our fam with chains, and I think I’ll convert my elastic ones, too!

More masks today:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #2
Project Description: More masks for the fam! This time, Mando Masks
Project Pic:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum #3
Project Description: Happy Cupcakes Masks for the fam!
Project Pic:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef: Lime
House: Slytherin :snake::black_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Key Lime Pie
Brief Description: I have never had key lime pie, so I wasn’t going to be comparing it to what it should taste like normally. I could just enjoy something new !

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Hufflepuff**
Project Name & page link knit top
Brief Description I often wear loose flowy stuff, but loved this fabric so much and only had enough for a fitted top so I went for it.

2 Likes

I’m going to try a keto lime cheesecake tomorrow :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Expecto Patronum - Masks
House: :lion: Gryffindor! :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: My First Masks
Brief Description: Link to Pattern
They did take me all afternoon … but I was dawdling :stuck_out_tongue:
I also had a new TV show on on the background, called The Deceived on Stan (Is Stan an Australian only streaming service?)
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Oh keto like cheesecake sounds wonderful! I love cheesecake. My key lime pie turned out pretty good, but I put in too much lime juice. The lime is powerful. Fiance doesn’t like it, so I need to give some of it away. Not sure it will freeze well.

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff**
Project Name & page link duvet cover
Brief Description my brothers separation is legal, and he’s got a new place but no bedding, so I ordered to make him s new duvet cover.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, that puppy is adorable in his little vest (harness). :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum #2
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Mask Batch, Craft Passion tutorial
Brief Description: Batch # 2! I spent time yesterday tracing and cutting all the pieces, and it took me a couple hours today to sew everything together. Curves are hard to sew, and topstitching on a curve is HARD, but each one I do gets a little bit neater. 8 masks total: two for my FIL, one more for my MIL, one for my mom, some for me, and an extra or two if a friend needs it. I really love this colorful fabric, I made sure to keep a small amount for something else for myself. Next batch will be Halloween themed…

2 Likes