CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

Class: History of Magic
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pink Stash Baskets
Brief Description: For History of Magic, I made stash baskets inspired by the pink bows/ruffles at Madam Puddifoot’s! :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(patterns: Stash Basket, Crocheted Stash Basket)

~~

Challenge: House Unity
SPEW: WMH Long Term Care (local hospital)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Green Corner-to-Corner Lapghan
Brief Description: For House Unity, I made a Slytherin green lap blanket for Long Term Care at my local hospital. I used 2 jumbo skeins of yarn, but they were apparently slightly different shades (the same color purchased a couple years apart), but it’s not as noticeable in person. At least the color change is right in the middle so it looks somewhat intentional. :grin:
Project Picture:

(no pattern used)

1 Like

Happy birthday to our very own @FiberAlchemist! :birthday: :clinking_glasses: :eagle:

1 Like

Happy Birthday, Fiber!!

Thanks!

@FiberAlchemist :cake: :tada: :confetti_ball: :musical_note: Happy Happy Birthday!!! :musical_note: :confetti_ball: :tada: :cake:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @FiberAlchemist!!!

I guess Jennie couldn’t fit your name on a cake. :wink:

1 Like

I finally found time to craft. The last 2 months have been so crazy busy. I took on too much, and I have finally resolved to slow down and work on having time for me.

*Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
SPEW: Yes, for this organization http://www.heartsknittogether.org/
*House: Hufflepuff
*Project Name : Baby Quilt
*Brief Description: There is nothing better than a handmade baby quilt to help banish monsters. This is a part of a newborn set that I created to donate to a local organization.
*Project Picture:

*Class or Challenge Title: SOAR
*Project Name & Page Link: Burp cloths and bibs
*Brief Description:
For this challenge I created a set of 4 items, 2 burp cloths and 2 bibs.
*Project Picture:

*Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
*Project Name & Page Link: Baby flannel blankets
*Brief Description: Baby swaddling catches lil’ ones in a comfy cozy bubble that helps to soothe them. I made 2 flannel blankets to finish my newborn set.
*Project Picture:

2 Likes

Love the black and white fabrics!

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Liberty Lawn Doll Dress
Brief Description: This was my first time sewing with lawn, and I had to be very careful with the diameter of the pins I used to hold everything together. You could tell my sewing machine was struggling with the fine fabric and tiny seam allowances, so I switched to a fresh needle in as small a size as I could find. It helped a little bit, but I still spent a fair amount of time rescuing this project from my feed-dogs.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying
Project Name & Page Link: Pair of Doll Dresses
Brief Description: It is easier for me to identify my least favorite bird (the American Robin) than my favorite, so I’ll just go with two species I’m rather fond of for this prompt. First up the humble house wren, as represented by a brown and blue homespun - a little bit homely but still fun and familiar. And then we’ve got the green dress for the Kakapo, one of the dumbest and greenest animals you’ll ever see.

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Tracks by OzKnitter
Brief Description: Just in time for the weather to go from Cold to spring-like, I finished up a pair of cozy socks. Oh well, they’ll be ready and waiting for the next dive in temperature.

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Vintage Fabric Doll Dress
Brief Description: I’ve been on a fabric diet for 2020 and for the past couple weeks my stash hasn’t been terribly exciting, even though I know I’ve got some amazing stuff in there. This bright red vintage scrap from my great-aunt’s stash was just the thing I needed to get my sewing mojo back.

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Reading Patch
Brief Description: In this craft I took a regular craft (cross stitching) and thought how I could incorporate a “smoother texture”. Well, tonight I decided I’d try out the evenweave fabric I’ve been hoarding to practice a bit. It definitely too some getting used to and I’m super glad I did a teeny tiny project with it before thinking if doing something bigger. I whip stitched a piece of felt to the back and made a little patch. I don’t care for how the edges turned out (I need much more practice) so it’ll probably find a new home with my daughter. :laughing:
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Advanced studies Friday…

This week I took the yarn from the shelf to a basket. And looked at the pattern. Then Fell asleep.
:grimacing:

8 Likes

:laughing: thanks for carrying the ASF torch @AntBee! :laughing:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Grey & Orange Dice Badge Holder
Brief Description: This badge holder is silver grey. I made it as a practice version, to test the pattern, before cutting up my husband’s favorite dungeon maps fabric. It will go to a friend of his, who is coming over from Ireland for another D&D con later this year.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Dungeon Maps Badge Holder
Brief Description: When my husband came home from Gary Con last year, he had a Badge holder he had purchased at the event. It was bright yellow, and made of that this fabric that giveaway grocery totes are made of. It was just not very Jim-like. So I decided to make his boring old badge holder more exciting. I made it from some cool dungeon map fabric I found on Spoonflower. Now he’ll have a custom one-of-a-kind badge holder… whenever he gets to go to Gary Con again. They just cancelled this year’s event. :slightly_frowning_face:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Ch 3
Project Name & Page Link: Citrus Olive Oil Cake
Brief Description: I have been looking forward to pottermouth visiting me for weeks now! She & her daughter stayed with us last night, and in honor of the event, I made a delicious Citrus Olive Oil Bundt Cake. It was seriously moist and delicious. I’ll be making it again for sure!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
LC Contest: F&T - Spring Greening
Project Name & Page Link: Recycled Silk Tuck-Away-Tote
Brief Description: Inspired by the pink ruffles & bows of Madam Puddifoot’s tea shop, I created a pink Tuck-Away Tote for the Spring Greening Challenge on the F&T board. The bottom of the bag features a pocket, so the tote can be tucked up inside itself, to fit into a purse or coat pocket.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: White D&D Pencil Pouches
Brief Description: Since I had more cute D&D fabrics laying around after making Jim’s badge holders, I decided to make some simple pencils pouches too. The fabric is graph paper, with pencils sketches of D20’s, treasure chests, swords & other weaponry, etc. I loved how fast they were to make, and that I got to use up stash fabrics for the lining, stash zippers, and even scraps of quilt batting floating around my stash for years.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Some lovely projects have been posted and I have been so slack with submitting my homework. Much detention for me. But given that I am sequestered for the forseeable future. I am going to challenge myself to do all the HP challenges with new things.

this is one

Class Charms
House Ravenclaw
Project. This was fairly simple but took a bit of time. I have a load of stickers, not sure why because I don’t actually use them much, but they were all dumped into a shoebox. I saw a divider organisation system on youtube and made one, I used some deeply discounted disney file folders, washi tape and some paper to make this, All of the sections are joined so that none of the stickers can get lost down between the sections.

2 Likes

Challenge: hermiones book club— letters from no one
House: Slytherin
Project Name: imaginary animal doodle page
Project description: often when I am feeling stressed I find that doodling and painting with random colors and imaginary animals makes me feel all sorts of better. So to escape the stress of planning a move to LA I doodled up this page.

4 Likes

Someone sent me this today, I thought this was a place it would be appreciated:

I feel like LC is our own little Room of Requirement where we can work on our Patronuses (patronii?) and still hang out together, in a manner of speaking.
Keep crafting and stay safe out there, friends!
(Crafty bonus: if your hands are busy making then you cant touch your face!)

8 Likes

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
Project Name: Spring Garden Cross Stitch Sampler “Grow Your Own”
Project Page Link: Here’s the Lettuce Craft Post!
Brief Description: Woooowee…this was a tough one to finish. Parts of it were quite boring but I trudged through because there were other projects I wanted to do and I wouldn’t let myself do them until I finished this one. Lol! The projected stitch time on this was 47 hours. I don’t keep track of how long I stitch projects because it would make me insane but I would say 47 hours is a good guess but maybe a tad long. More details in my Lettuce Craft post!
Project Picture: Here she is! In all her glory!

and for a regular class…

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: “Spring Break Cake!” AKA Corona-Cake!
Brief Description: We’re off school and most of the town is shut down so I’m trying to make the best of the situation and I made a cake FROM SCRATCH! You guys, I had big dreams of this being the best cake ever. Homemade cake! It’s gotta be delicious, right?! Eh. No. I’m gonna stick with box mixes. It was fine but definitely not good. Did we still eat all of it? Chyea. Cake for breakfast all weekend!

This fits the Transfiguration prompt because it included Baking Powder as an ingredient. Which I recently learned (while messing up a loaf of banana bread) that baking powder is kind of an important ingredient. :laughing:

" Baking powder lightens the texture of cakes by enlarging air bubbles within the batter. The correct use of baking powder makes the difference between a light and fluffy cake and a chocolate brick."

Project Picture:

and here’s the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. (I don’t recommend this recipe. :rofl:)

1 Like

@Whistlefish - Congrats on completing your Advanced Studies! Your project has been moved to the “completed” list and your house has earned 100 points! :tada:

1 Like

:zap: :heart: Announcement from the Headmistress… :heart: :zap:
While everyone else is busy cancelling events, your Headmistress is expanding some! For this term only, I will be increasing the number of times you may complete the Detention prompts. You may now complete Work In Progress, Reparo, and Advanced Studies twice each, and you may complete Stash up to five times!

These changes are intended to give you something fun to focus on while staying home, but as always, you are free to do as many or as few prompts as you wish.

6 Likes

Woohoo! My stash should be afraid…very afraid. :grin:

2 Likes