CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

Are you in my livingroom? I’ve been working on a washcloth all weekend!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: “Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw “
Brief Description: A little watercolor practice! I used the house pride prompt as inspiration to make something Ravenclaw related.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

That’s SO GOOD!

1 Like

ADVANCED STUDIES Progress…
I have gotten alot of progress done on learning how to make a bra.
First I tried to make a bralette. However I got very distracted by the “what if” I did this ideas… ended up like a odd sports bra by the end. It was worth it though, I learned alot. https://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/the-darcy-bralette-free-sewing-pattern/

Next I decided it would be wise to actually follow a bralette pattern. After a couple of sizing tweaks it ended up turning out well. This was a great free pattern.

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Dungbomb
House: Slytherin ::snake::
Project Name & Page Link: Guest room repaint
Brief Description: There was a room in my house that my MIL painted lemon yellow before we bought it. It was such a bright, in your face color, just way too much for a bedroom. We use this room as a guest room. Two coats of Kilz primer and 2 coats of Behr Ulta later, and it’s a lovely, calm, neutral grey. Aah.
Project Picture:
Before:

After:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: HEAD - Peruvian Darkness
House: Ravenclaw!
Project Name & Page Link: Merry Krampus Painting
Brief Description: He’s dark. He’s creepy. He’s…Krampus!
Project Picture:

I only have a couple of prompts left to complete so I’m going to use them as inspiration for what to practice my painting on. Wish me luck!

7 Likes

I love your art!

1 Like

I love your idea for a see-through mask @plaidpineapple. I don’t have to wear a mask on the classroom, I can’t imagine how hard it must make teaching language or vocabulary!!

Challenge- Head Otters Fizzy Drink
House- Hufflepuff
Project- 8 big pompoms
When I saw this stripy yarn I just had to make something in it, It’s just the colours of my house :slight_smile: it’s acrylic and not really good for knitting, but I love pompoms, so…
I don’t really know what I’ll do with them in the long run, but at the minute I’m just flooping them around and letting them make me smile

Challenge: Ton Tounge Toffee
House: Hufflepuff
Project: … and 3 small ones
Pompoms really do use a ton of yarn really quickly! I didn’t have enough for any more big poms but I made 3 smaller ones - wrapped now densely so they are rounder, more solid and less floppy-floopy. I’ll put these in my prize box at school (pure bribery for my class - I give out points for doing classroom jobs quietly and quickly, then each week we tally the points and the winning table gets to choose from the prize box

Pic shows the big poems in the back ground to compare size and floopyness

7 Likes

Both of these made me properly giggle out loud :smiley:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Patented Daydream Charm
Project Name & Page Link: Bear with clothes
Brief Description: This is something I have been wanting to make a several years, but didnt think I had the skills. But you gotta try to be certain. First I made the bear, and then I made his clothes.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Portable Swamp
Project Name & Page Link: Skimmer the wolf
Brief Description: Turned my ugly, knitted mitten into a crochet wolf instead. And crochet is something I have done lots of in the past, so I guess you can call it my legacy.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

noodle- I love your pom poms, they make me happy looking at the cheery colors ond fluffiness.
skrutt- I love your knit folks, and the clothes-so darling.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title:Muggle Studies
Project Name I made myself a new swim skirt to replace one of the same fabric that I have outgrown. I crafted the pattern myself.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge- Ten Second Pimple
Project Name & Page Link I made some underwear to use up some leftover stash material. I used this bikini pattern as a starting point.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Challenge- Trick Wands
Project Name & Page Link I have been wanting to make some knotted headbands and when I came across this tutorial I had to give it a try. It is a great tutorial with a helpful video for the tricky section. It uses particular ways of folding the fabric to create the knot -instead of using 2 pieces of fabric. https://13thavenueco.com/2018/11/05/knotted-headband-tutorial/

1 Like

I’m glad you had a go at making your bear, he looks great! The nice thing about knitting is, once you can knit and purl basically you been make anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both the little bear, and his clothes, and the little wolf are both adorable.

I may have to have a go at those headbands, the knotting technique is intriguing :smiley:

Class or Challenge Title: Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes Challenge Series

Project Name & Page Link: Boxing Telescope
Brief Description: These spring colour palette twinchies pack a much needed punch of bright spring colour
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Dungbombs
Brief Description: This stumpwork sunflower was made entirely from embroidery thread leftover from other projects
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Love Potion
Brief Description: These mixed media ATCoins include a cross stitch element, which I have been completely obsessed with recently
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Otter’s Fizzy Orange Drink
Brief Description: I love to bake, but baking dairy free is brand new to me – we have a good friend who has recently had to go dairy free, so I am determined to learn. Both of these cakes were dairy free.

Chocolate fairy cakes – weigh 2 eggs (in their shells) and weigh out the same weight of caster sugar, self-raising flour and dairy free soft spread. Beat the spread and sugar until light and fluffy, mix in a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Beat the eggs and add in bit by bit, adding a little flour if needed to prevent splitting. Once all of the egg has been added, add in the flour and stir until just mixed together. If the mixture is a little stiff, add a splash of dairy free milk. Stir in chocolate drops – no measure needed, just add until it looks like a good ratio! Spoon into paper cases and bake at 180C for 15-20 mins. Leave to cool completely. To make icing sieve 2 tbsp of icing sugar and 2 tsp of cocoa powder. Add water a little at a time to make a smooth and spreadable icing. Ice cakes and enjoy.

Chocolate cornflake cakes – melt together 4oz of dairy free butter substitute and 4 tbsp of golden syrup. Sieve in 4oz icing sugar and 4 tbsp of cocoa powder. Stir until well mixed and glossy and then stir in 4oz of cornflakes or rice crispies. Spoon into paper cases and allow to set.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Patented Daydream Charm
Brief Description: I have had this suit and sari scarf for some time, dreaming about them being a bag and knowing that was their destiny, and they finally told me just what bag they needed to be.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder
Brief Description: Does anybody know whether Darkness powder goes out of date? Or maybe this batch was bad? These inchies should have ended up with a much darker colour scheme than this!!
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Portable Swamp
Brief Description: Sewing, and embroidery, are mediums I have worked in for a long time and this sampler ticked all the boxes as a bit of fun. (It also used up a lot of embroidery thread leftovers, which is always good :D)
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Pygmy Puff
Brief Description: A friend of mine asked me to make him two birthday cards for his partner, one from him (the more realistic one :slight_smile: ) and one from their daughter (the cute one :smiley: )
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Screaming yo-yo
Brief Description: This embroidery page, made as part of the mini book swap, has a number of stripes of different stitches
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Ten-Second Pimple Vanisher
Brief Description: I am really bad at keeping all those tiny scraps of felt, so this whole bird was made from the stash scrap bag, and the embroidery threads used were all leftover from other projects
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Ton-Tongue Toffee
Brief Description: The book cover for the book I made for the mini book swap used a load of fabric scraps, one side was regular squares and the other was crazy patchwork (This cover was also remade 3 times, as the first one was the wrong size and the second I really didn’t like, so third time was the charm!)
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Trick Wands
Brief Description: In the book I made for the mini book swap, there was a page hiding an even smaller book, so there was a hidden element to the book. There was also a trick to the page itself, in that I had to be careful not to make it so heavy that it damaged the book once put together. I used two sheets of card stock for the front, with a hole cut out, and back, and then created a internal frame of corrugated card, both around the edge and around the “hole” for the tiny book. Once covered and decorated, it created a strong, but light weight page.
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Wildfire Wizz-bang Fireworks
Brief Description: The crochet page for the mini book was both bright colours on a dark background, and the crochet flowers had a thread of sparkle running through them
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Oh, you have done lots! Well done!
I really like your embroidery sample! So cute! And great to use some scrap threads.

That sunflower! :star_struck:

~ ADVANCED STUDIES COMPLETED ~
Project Name: Bra Making
Brief Description: Over the course of this study I have tried 4 different bra patterns, made numerous mock-up muslins, and completed 3 final bras that fit. One looks a little wonky, but it fits well. I realized I don’t think I have ever had a bra that actually fits correctly. Now that I know what to look for in a purchased bra I hope to buy a couple great ones. Bra making was fun, but it is expensive. All the elastics, straps and specialty fabric adds up. I will probably make one time to time, but for general use I will stick with store bought.
If you try bra making “Liz Sews” on youtube was fabulous! One of the bras I made is called the Maya bra. Liz has a 5 part series on making the Maya bra which was so helpful and educational.
The bra patterns I used:
The first 2 are pictured in earlier posts.
https://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/the-darcy-bralette-free-sewing-pattern/

Next up: I made 2 Maya Bras
https://afiatelier.com/allpatterns/maya-bra/
A prectice and final bra of: https://madalynne.com/product/barrett-bralette-sewing-pattern/

The red and black bra are the Maya bras. I really love the style of this bra pattern. And the Liz Sews tutorial videos are awesome.
The Purple Las Vegas Showgirl bra is a practice bra for the Barrett and the light pink is my final Barrett bra. This pattern in reviews I read ran small, so knowing that I started with one size larger and it ended up fitting really well. It does not have an underwire which made sewing it up quicker than the Maya.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Good Stuff Basket #1 (Medium)
Brief Description: Each of these baskets is ‘modular’, as they fit one inside the other. Please note I’m using one photo for all three baskets. The second picture shows them nesting inside one another. I wrote the pattern for these myself, and hope to have it posted here on LC soon.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Otter’s Fizzy Orange
Project Name & Page Link: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cherrios Bars
Brief Description: When I saw the box of cereal in my cupboard, I just had to use it up making a batch of these bars. I get a craving to make them about once a year or two. Delicious, but so sweet! And of course, my husband got into them before I could get a picture!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Peruvian Instant Darkness
Project Name & Page Link: Churn Dash Quilt Block
Brief Description: Practicing my quilt block repertoire. It uses black as the dominate background color.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Portable Swamp
Project Name & Page Link: Good Stuff Basket #2 (Large)
Brief Description: I’m going to just say it; making these baskets is fun. They’re cheerful and bright, and go together quickly, and are made with some awesome upcycled Fair Trade silk yarns.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Screaming Yo-Yo
Project Name & Page Link: Good Stuff Basket #3 (Extra Large)
Brief Description: The alternating color stripes of this basket are created with two yarns, and the Alternating Spike Stitch.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Ton Tongue Toffee
Project Name & Page Link: Striped Stash Busting Afghan
Brief Description: This project jused up SO MUCH stash! I used up 14 skeins of yarn that had been sitting around waiting for a project. In order to complete it, I had to buy 2 more skeins of cream which were completely used up, and 1 more of Shawl in a Ball, which I have a little more than half left. I’m hoping to use the rest to make a scarf, so it would be totally out of my stash. The afghan was created by using 3 strands of yarn held together throughout, and included 8 skeins of Lion Brand Wool Ease in Fisherman, 5 skeins of Wintuck from Montgomery Ward in Raspberry Heather, 1 skein of Caron Simply Soft in Ocean, 1 ball of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball in Moonstone, and 1.3 balls of Shawl in a Ball in Lotus Blossom.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Blue/Purple
Project Name & Page Link: Red + Blue = Purple Cake, aka Berry Cornbread Buckle
Brief Description: I was so looking forward to baking with blackberries for this assignment! I spent ages looking through recipes and narrowing it down to the one that sounded the best. A cornbread cake, covered with blackberries, and a strussel topping. Then when I went grocery shopping Monday, Kroger didn’t have any blackberries! I tried Publix later that afternoon, and they were out too! There weren’t even any in the freezer section. So instead I replaced the 4 cups of fresh blackberries with 2 cups frozen blueberries & 2 cups sliced strawberries. After all, blue + red = purple.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Red + blue totally make purple! Love it!